Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TurboExpress/PC Engine GT: Video Fix  (Read 18995 times)

nat

REPAIR GUIDE - TurboExpress/PC Engine GT: Video Fix
« on: April 06, 2008, 08:11:01 AM »
It's long been known that by replacing all the capacitors in the audio circuit on the Express PCB you are able to cure all sound issues, but video issues have been a bit of a grey area. What has been unknown (until now) is just which component is directly linked to the common video problem these units are beginning to have. Let's give a round of applause to Sinistron, the real hero in all this, for donating a TurboExpress with bad video for me to butcher on the operating table. It was a very long and tedious process, as I ended up replacing almost everything on the board by the time I was done and I had to play test after every component which meant quite a bit of assembly and disassembly. The culprit turned out to be the smallest, most innocuous capacitor on the entire board and the only reason it wasn't the very last one I did was because there was one cap I didn't have a proper uF/voltage match for. At the very least all this paid off and finally put to rest just what causes the no video issue. Real quick: the capacitor in question is in the power circuit, specifically, the line that supplies the mains to the LCD. This cap fails, dries out, bleeds, etc causing insufficient voltage supplied to run the LCD.

So let's get down to it.... I took photos documenting the entire process, but I'll only post the relevant ones here.

Circled in green is the audio circuit. We already know what these caps are for, so we ignored them for this procedure.
Circled in red is the culprit for the video issue. You can barely see it, can't you?

Since I didn't know where the problem was specifically, I removed the shield covering the CPU, VDC, etc. The caps circled in blue are the ones that are exposed by removing the shield. It is not necessary to replace these to fix the video, but Sinistron got a freebie on this one. I included this pic so folks who might want to replace EVERYTHING can see just what's under the shield.

Circled in red is the replacement cap I installed in place of the bad on. The cap is a 4.7uF 35-volt electrolytic. This is THE culprit of the backlight-but-no-picture video issue. Replace it and your video works again.

Just a final look at the board after I was done with it. I had to run wires to remote-mount a few of the replacement caps due to not enough room on the board, etc. FYI, there is plenty of open space down behind where the batteries sit where you can remote-mount caps if you need to.

There you have it. It's a simple fix, really, and luckily it's probably the most easily accessible cap on the entire board.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:30:18 PM by nat »

Sinistron

Re: Breaking News! TURBOEXPRESS / PC ENGINE GT VIDEO FIX!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:23:40 AM »
 :clap:

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

nodtveidt

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:30:31 AM »
That's a hell of a lot easier than fixing the audio capacitor!

nectarsis

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:31:11 AM »
Nat saves the day again :)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

ceti alpha

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:37:15 AM »
That's awesome nat!!! Sin's a happy camper and you saved a TE from going to the garbage dump.  :clap:  :dance:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

esteban

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 12:51:45 PM »
When my TE's fail, I will not be as depressed as I would have been, say, yesterday.

nat, you rock!
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 03:09:04 PM »
This is very good news. If we can get a source for those little gears for the OG CDROM units, then what else is there left to fix?

Turbo D

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 03:16:23 PM »
Nat is the man!  8) This thread should be a sticky!

nodtveidt

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »
This is very good news. If we can get a source for those little gears for the OG CDROM units, then what else is there left to fix?
I'm working on that issue right now. :D

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 05:31:44 PM »
Awesome work, nat.  Someday my poor little Express will undergo this little operation; he thanks you from the bottom of his pcb.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Mobius

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to think that my Turbo hardware could last forever with the fixes this board has documented.

chop5

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »
excellent!
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

Jitawa

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 09:24:51 PM »
Well darn, I have another thing I have to send Nat now.

Keranu

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 09:50:40 PM »
Outstanding!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Paisa49

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 02:57:31 AM »
A somewhat related video question, other than actually replacing the entire lcd screen on an Express, has anyone figured out how to fix dead pixels? If not, how expensive is it to replace the lcd screen on an Express?