Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - TG-CD: Total capacitor replacement chart + useful info  (Read 5227 times)

Platinumfungi

I've been in the slow but steady process of compiling repair/useful information for our poor friend the TG-CD for awhile now. If you have anything you want to add just let me know  :D

Here's a chart of all the capacitors in the Turbo Grafx CD Player. I'm in the process of making one for the Docking Station pcbs as well.

Backup: https://.../TGCDCap_Chart2.jpg

Here are some tidbits:

Most common problems:

- CD-Rom gears become damaged. May be missing teeth or jammed. (Replacement gears must be substituted)

- CD-Rom grease dries up. (Regrease with white lithium grease)

- Laser wears out. (Adjust, or a replacement laser is required)

- 2 ribbon cables are in backwards. The CD-Rom will not function properly if they are backwards. (Make sure they're inserted properly)

- The switch that checks if the disc tray is open is stuck or damaged. (Inspect, clean, ...not sure about a replacement. I guess you could permanently make the switch think it's "always closed")

- The laser "limit switch" metal contacts need to be cleaned. (Read more about this issue here: https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5063.0

- The safety "Lock" switches on the TG docking station are not in the correct position. (Make sure both switches are in the "Lock" position when trying to play or the system will not turn on)

- Dead power supply. (Find replacement)

- Loose AV ports. Have to wiggle the cable around to get it to work. (Open system and resolder all related joints)

- The ground wire that attaches the top and bottom halves of the CD Player isn't securely connected.

Basic parts information:

Laser Lens:
The stock laser is a "KSS-162A".
A replacement that will work but needs some alteration is a "KSS-220A". I believe this is the proper one here at Electronix for $24.30 (plus shipping) -
http://www.electronix.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?ELECTRONIX_CATALOG_SESSID=434d9ec5c200e3cfafe87c5dfd25ee43&keywords=KSS-220A&x=0&y=0

Nat started a thread about other electronics that can be used as a donor for the laser. Check out the thread here: https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5027.0

For a quick recap, the following products have been identified as suitable donors:

Sony Discman D-4
Sony Discman D-12
Sony Discman D-34

Power Supply:
TG CD (in docking station) - 11VDC 1.53A center negative plug

TG CD (cd player only) - 10.5VDC 650mA (center negative plug I think...)

PCE CD (in docking station) - a suitable replacement is RADIO SHACK part # 273-1771 with Adaptaplug Q
PCE CD (cd player only) - 10.5VDC 650mA (center negative plug I guess...)

Capacitor Information:
I figured I'd start adding this information as well since I've heard mention of caps being a possible suspect (and since it's caps on both the Duo and Express that so frequently cause problems)

In the TGCD CD Player - there are are around 30 electrolytic caps.
In the TGCD Docking Station - there are around 44 electrolytic caps.

I might eventually get around to making a chart for these...but it will be awhile if I do.

CD Player Lid Components:
I've found that on some systems the components in the player's lid that hold a disc in the system can get smashed or damaged, and thus not able to close properly. Here are all the parts:

That's what we've got so far!

RG

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:16:35 PM by NightWolve »

Game-Tech.US

I had a post a while back about a limit switch issue that should be included, dont know how to link to that thread???

NEC TG-16/TE/TurboDuo > TG/PCE Repair/Mod Discussion > Another possible TGCD fix for wont spin wont load but laser returns

BlackandBlue

Most common problems:

- CD-Rom gears become damaged. May be missing teeth or jammed. (Replacement gears must be substituted)

I made a replacement with a Sony Vaio Laptop Drive, but it's not a full replacement. 

- The switch that checks if the disc tray is open is stuck or damaged. (Inspect, clean, ...not sure about a replacement. I guess you could permanently make the switch think it's "always closed")

Should be easy enough to make a new switch.  It's just a flexible contact that you could probably make out of spare thin metal.  I'll let you know, I have a TGCD coming in that probably has this problem (hopefully thats all).

Power Supply:

PCE CD (in docking station) - ???
PCE CD (cd player only) - ???

PCE CD (IFU) - suitable replacement RADIO SHACK 273-1771 with Adaptaplug Q
PCE CD (CD only) - same as TG16 console power supply
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

Platinumfungi

Updated with your info. Thanks guys :D

Game-Tech.US

I didn't actually "grease" the limit switch, I just cleaned the metal contact surfaces inside it and it worked, but maybe it should get a coating of something???
The whole discussion of grease in that thread was about the infamous gear and dried up grease.

Platinumfungi

I didn't actually "grease" the limit switch, I just cleaned the metal contact surfaces inside it and it worked, but maybe it should get a coating of something???
The whole discussion of grease in that thread was about the infamous gear and dried up grease.

Ah, my mistake  #-o Corrected. I'm not really sure if it does or not. If it originally did then I'd say yes, but I've never taken one apart myself so I have no clue...

kid_rondeau

This thread kicks ass. Thanks a lot Red Ghost! I've been so busy this year that I've been neglecting my Turbo!

Game-Tech.US

[/quote]

Ah, my mistake  #-o Corrected. I'm not really sure if it does or not. If it originally did then I'd say yes, but I've never taken one apart myself so I have no clue...
[/quote]

It didn't originally have any grease inside, just bare metal contacts.
Surely there is a better option than wd-40 for keeping them from corroding though. Dielectric grease?

Platinumfungi

kid_rondeau - Any time  :D I know I'm not the only one cussing at these things... I'll see if I can take some nice macro shots of some of this stuff in the near future and start building upon what we have so far.

akaviolence - Dielectric grease is what I always use in switches I rebuild in general, so I'd say sure. I should really open one myself though and have a look around. One of these days.

Platinumfungi

Had a few minutes so I added a handful of photos. More to come...

Please note I have to double check which way the ribbon cables are in the photos. They're old pictures and might be wrong. I'll label which way the correct way is eventually.

BlackandBlue

Don't forget about Nat's great thread with the Sony Discmans that have the same laser unit:
https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5027.0

Quote from: nat
Sony Discman D-4
Sony Discman D-12
Sony Discman D-34
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

Platinumfungi

Don't forget about Nat's great thread with the Sony Discmans that have the same laser unit:
https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5027.0

Quote from: nat
Sony Discman D-4
Sony Discman D-12
Sony Discman D-34

Added, thanks! (I'll ask Nat about adding the photos of those 3 drives here for quick reference as well.)

Platinumfungi

Re: TG-CD Capacitor Replacement Chart + Useful Info
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 08:42:30 AM »
Just added a TGCD cap replacement chart to the pile. Will add some for the docking station in the near future  :-"

esteban

Re: TG-CD: Total capacitor replacement chart + useful info
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 11:09:47 AM »
Very nice chart and info. Thanks. :)
  |    | 

kid_rondeau

Re: TG-CD: Total capacitor replacement chart + useful info
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 04:28:33 AM »
Fantastic chart. I love you.

Oh, and this thread should be made a sticky.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:51:01 AM by kid_rondeau »