Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - Super CDROM2: Total capacitor replacement chart  (Read 6745 times)

BlueBMW

Will update pictures on new forum.

It seems that none of this hardware is safe from leaking capacitors as some of these Super CDROM2 units have started to exhibit issues relating to failing capacitors.  Note that both RF shields must be removed and the laser assembly must be removed before all the capacitors can be accessed. Below is a chart mapping all the capacitors in the Super CDROM2 unit.

The laser installed in the Super CDROM2 is the Sony KSS-210B and the unit has the same 5 adjustment pots like a Duo unit.

UPDATE:

Some units have an additional 100uf cap installed right above the 4 sided Sony chip next to the 22uf surface mount caps beneath the laser assembly.  Others just have an empty pad without a cap.

Also, the RF shields MUST be reinstalled for this unit to work properly.  It looks like it links some grounds to one another.

Thanks once again to Red Ghost for the chart format!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 04:02:18 PM by BlueBMW »
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

chop5

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - Super CDROM2: Total capacitor replacement chart
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »
nice clear pictures!
AKA jetblue
Gentlemen behold...The chopsado!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/jetbue7/prchopsado.jpg tg-16 region converter or some weird bow tie

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:42:51 AM »
Nice, bimmer.  Give this man a sticky!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Platinumfungi

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »
Nice work! Yet another great resource for the community. Thanks for crediting my layout design too  8)

BlueBMW

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
Nice work! Yet another great resource for the community. Thanks for crediting my layout design too  8)

Hey! Credit where credit is due! :P  And by keeping the same format across all systems, it makes it easier to reference.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Platinumfungi

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »
Nice work! Yet another great resource for the community. Thanks for crediting my layout design too  8)

Hey! Credit where credit is due! :P  And by keeping the same format across all systems, it makes it easier to reference.

Agreed! This needs to be a sticky as well. I'm going to try and go find where I put in requests in the past...

EDIT: Ok, just found the old "Sticky request" thread over in the "Comments and Suggestions" forums and requested both this topic and the other old TGCD repair topic I made be made "sticky" :wink:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:34:11 AM by Red Ghost »

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »
Curious, on the current cap repairs, have you guys switched over to using surface mount solid caps, or are you still using the normal thru-hole electrolytic stuff? Solid caps have come down in price the past few years, to the point even that they are becoming a normal for even midrange pc motherboards. You guys may want to look into bulk buying them, at least the smaller ones, so you can solder them on their required spot instead of having to run wires out and stuff to work around the tight fits.

BlueBMW

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »
I still use leaded caps because I'm not that good at SMT stuff yet, though as I get better I'll probably switch over to direct replacement caps.

pixeljunkie

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 03:56:11 AM »
what's the easiest/cheapest way to get all the caps necessary for this job?

Also, is there a cluster that are for the sound, if I want to only replace those?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:06:12 AM by pixeljunkie »

BlueBMW

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:54:28 AM »
The cheapest way is to buy caps in bulk which doesn't work well if you're just doing one system.  Ill be putting an order in for more caps soon so pm me if you'd like me to get you a set.

As far as just doing sound caps... there's really no point in doing only some of the caps.  They're all the same age and likely leaking.  Just because a cap doesn't affect sound doesn't mean it wont affect another system.  I've had bad caps cause laser read issues before.  If you're already in there just do them all.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 08:06:03 AM »
Yeah, honestly the cheapest way would be for you all to pull your resources into a group purchase if you can get at least 6 or more people in on it, that should go to one guy who will serve as the capacitor bank. Buy enough to handle 20-30 systems minimum. Then as you all need the caps, he can mail them via first class mail out to you in the bundles you need that you paid for, and sell bundles to others too, and use that money towards refilling the bank when it gets near empty.

BlueBMW

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 08:13:42 AM »
I buy between 50 and 250 of each size cap each time I order them. 

farankoshan

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
I'm pretty interested to get a full set of replacement caps for an ailing unit. Would you have some on hand? Please PM me if you do, or when you'd next be ordering some.

Can you find these at local hardware stores around the world?

I have some capacitor vendors around here in my area.
When searching for caps, what type of caps should I use, and which not to use?

eg.
Type/Make: Radial caps, Aluminum, electrolytic? Which to avoid?
Mounting: Through hole or Surface mount?
Capacitance Value: (These values I already have via BlueBMW's very helpful guide.)
Tolerance: ?
Voltage: (Also from Blue BMW)
Ripple Current: ?mA

Thanks so far guys!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:20:35 PM by farankoshan »
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot f*ck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

farankoshan

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
I appreciate all the help guys!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:20:55 PM by farankoshan »

farankoshan

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
I replaced all the caps I was able to source locally at a electric hardware store around here.
The sound problem I had initially remained during the first try, but cleared up in about 5 mins (it used to take close to 20 mins with the old caps). Will observe some more if the problems remain. Thanks, for the help guys!

See this other thread for an update on my problem:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10214.0