Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31880 times)

TR0N

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #1035 on: February 27, 2018, 04:33:31 PM »
I watched "Fist of the North Star" a few days ago, a freebie on Sony's Crackle app/network.

http://m.crackle.com/fist-of-the-north-star

I had a feeling I seen it as a kid which was confirmed when Kenshiro does his death move and lets out that super silly-ous, repetitive "te te te te te te te te te te te te te!!!!!!!!!!" screeching! Hahahaha, horrible voice-acting but funny as hell!

I loved all the 80's enemy musclebound punks with Mohawks and Kenshiro doing a few "death touch" moves on them causing head and bodily explosions in the blink of an eye. That shit is hilariously silly!

All in all, it made me appreciate the live action movie so much more that stars Gary Daniels, Malcolm McDowell, Costas Mandylor, Dante Basco, Sean Penn's brother Chris, and a familiar name from MTV days of old, Downtown Julie Brown. Even then, you'll still find other familiar actors that found their way in it.

While the plot could've used some work, I enjoyed it. Somehow, they scored a pretty epic soundtrack also. I was hoping it'll get remastered to BluRay, but it only exists on DVD. The anime scores much lower for me as it feels more geared to teenage males, it invokes much cringe worthy laughter so I still enjoyed it for what it is.

Heh this scene all ways get's me from the tv series of fotns. Last year i bought it on bluray through amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-Complete-Blu-Ray/dp/B075KZC467
Man i love how ridiculous fotns can be.By the way there's even another fotns video game coming from the team behind the yakuza series for PS4.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:37:54 PM by NightWolve »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NightWolve

« Reply #1036 on: February 27, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
Heh this scene all ways get's me from the tv series of fotns.

"Aaaaaah, te te te te te te te te te te te te te!!!!!!!!!!"

Son of a gun, he can even defeat a tank with that silliness! :lol:

Kenshiro...

Punch

« Reply #1037 on: February 27, 2018, 04:43:53 PM »
I'm so goddamn excited for the Yakuza of the North Star game coming out I might even just buy the japanese copy instead of waiting centuries for a localization. Kenshiro's adventures are so over the top that they're a perfect fit for the Yakuza dev team... in fact you could probably just reskin a yakuza game with minimal changes and no one would notice lol

Gypsy

« Reply #1038 on: February 28, 2018, 01:04:25 AM »
I'm so goddamn excited for the Yakuza of the North Star game coming out I might even just buy the japanese copy instead of waiting centuries for a localization. Kenshiro's adventures are so over the top that they're a perfect fit for the Yakuza dev team... in fact you could probably just reskin a yakuza game with minimal changes and no one would notice lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Game is gonna be f*cking awesome.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #1039 on: March 07, 2018, 06:41:00 PM »
Gypsy, I've got to think of you everytime I watch the Orguss ending:

Q: "Kenshiro, how do you surf the web?"
A: "Eyebrows!"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 06:50:44 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

TR0N

« Reply #1040 on: March 07, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »
Gypsy, I've got to think of you everytime I watch the Orguss ending:

Q: "Kenshiro, how do you surf the web?"
A: "Eyebrows!"

That's a good one far as ending credits go.I need to pick it up again since it got a official release through discotekmedia.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #1041 on: March 07, 2018, 10:11:14 PM »
That's a good one far as ending credits go.I need to pick it up again since it got a official release through discotekmedia.

:-#

So if this appears to become a "look what I got to make you jealous" thread, I think I need to post this to stop you guys.

:-"

I said no, no, no

Gypsy

« Reply #1042 on: March 08, 2018, 12:22:30 AM »
Orguss is on my to buy list as well. Plus a couple other mecha shows they released.

Are those bootlegs on the right of that picture Clod?

Just recently got the City Hunter oavs/tv specials/movies/whatever they are. Entertaining stuff. I hope Discotek gets the various series. Those need a rerelease.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #1043 on: March 08, 2018, 01:03:16 AM »
I do not buy bootlegs.

Description from when I originally posted the pic above:
(...)
From left to right:

1. SDF Macross Collection (ADV Films 2008). Contains the whole series in its original Japanese format with sub and a whole new dub, about 900 minutes runtime not counting all the bonus content. Got this in 2010 when ADV just went defunct and the pricetags for this set went mental. They still are, if you can find this somewhere, good luck.
2. SDC Southern Cross / Genesis Climber Mospeada Double Collection (ADV Films 2008). Similar story to the Macross collection.
3. SDF Macross Perfect Collection (OVA Films 2001). Contains Do you remember Love? and Macross II. The one and only official and 100% uncut DYRL release outside of Japan. Has German subtitles. Very sought after, though the price went down since when the Blu-ray of DYRL was released in Japan.
4. SDC Orguss - just for the fun of showing all the "Super Dimension" TV series/movies in one picture and for bowing down to Discotek that they finally released this on DVD in 2015.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:09:35 AM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

Gypsy

« Reply #1044 on: March 08, 2018, 07:20:56 AM »
Huh, that Macross set looks bootleg af to me.  :lol:

The one with DYRL not the ADV set of course.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1045 on: March 08, 2018, 07:45:06 AM »
I just buy used imports. It’s all cheap as shit in Japan except for whatever the newest version is. I don’t need translations for a show I’ve been watching for thirty friggn years. I still have most of the DYRL HK dub memorized even! I’d rather have packaging that doesn’t suck ass.

When it comes to shows I committed to memory decades ago I usually just play them in raw Japanese anyway. If I’m not reading the subs they’re just in the way, and furthermore I find myself reading “Hikaruuuuuuuuu” instead of just ignoring the text and watching the show.

But then...something weird has happened in recent years. Localized anime has become “collectable” thanks to mall otaku so now the true value of a translation (it’s ability to make the show watchable to non-Japanese) will begin to blur with outsized pricing when OCD and greed has people seeking out hard to find DVDs of shit they don’t even want just to complete a run.

I do like to watch Robotech once in a while because I like those 80s voice actors and while I had tons of Macross toys and models in the 80s, Robotech was the only version of the show itself I had access to until the LD boom and tape trading and all that. That reminds me, I still need to send that disc back to Exodus...

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #1046 on: March 08, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »
Huh, that Macross set looks bootleg af to me.  :lol:

The one with DYRL not the ADV set of course.
I won't blame you. The keep case is a rather weird one, deviating slightly from the Amaray clones in its shape and height, which even affects the paper insert. On the front, only Macross II artwork is shown, even though this is a double feature. The DVD is a double sided one, 2 layers for each side, with 17 Gigs total. One side has DYRL, the other side Macross II. DYRL has some timing issues with the German subtitles in two or three scenes. Macross II has a echoing Japanese track, while the English track is fine, but when you disable the German subtitles on the English track, you'll also miss the subtitles for when the Marduk are talking in their alien language. So I guess they had trouble when preparing the DVD master. Still, it's an official release by OVA Films Germany.
When both DYRL and Macross II aired on German TV to promote the upcoming DVD release, the subtitle timing was correct and the Japanese language track was faultless. I still got the VHS tape I recorded that night in 2000.

These are the OFDB entries for the DVD and the airing on TV:
https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=1070&vid=5154 (entry for DYRL part of the DVD)
https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=3625&vid=9443 (entry for M II part of the DVD)
https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=1070&vid=5794 (entry for DYRL on TV)
https://ssl.ofdb.de/view.php?page=fassung&fid=3625&vid=9444 (entry for M II on TV)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:02:42 AM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1047 on: March 08, 2018, 08:24:15 AM »

But then...something weird has happened in recent years. Localized anime has become “collectable” thanks to mall otaku so now the true value of a translation (it’s ability to make the show watchable to non-Japanese) will begin to blur with outsized pricing when OCD and greed has people seeking out hard to find DVDs of shit they don’t even want just to complete a run.

It's unfortunate but yes it has.

I'm the weird guy who likes having physical media of what I play, listen to and watch. And I don't mind paying for it if the quality is high (see discotek releases). But when I want say a copy of Neo Tokyo it's out of print and I can't buy it without paying a collector premium even if I'd gladly hand over my cash for a regular retail price release.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:46:20 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

« Reply #1048 on: March 08, 2018, 11:45:42 AM »
I have loads of localized anime and didn't pay retail or higher for any of it. I guess some is technically worth more than that at this point but I don't really care, I just like having the discs to watch.

I have noticed prices on recent releases don't seem to drop like they used to, and not many used copies are available. There are some things I'd like to get but not at current prices. I'm in no rush, I have plenty to watch already. I've watched most of what I have too. There are some I started and dropped but I don't care enough to sell them. I have to really hate it to get rid of it. For example I still own Wandaba Style and that's pretty bad.  :lol:

Like Dan I don't mind paying for quality releases when the price is right. Pre-order prices are usually well under retail.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #1049 on: March 08, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »
Regarding pricing, it is usually what is out of stock and had a rather limited print run is going up in price.

Like if there's a Anime TV series splitted into several volumes, usually the last ones can be pretty pricy. Or if there's a collection box, the whole box is expensive. Releasing a TV series that spans more than half a year of episodes (20+) is usually a not really fortunate deal for distributors in markets outside of Japan. They have a hard time selling all of the volumes in English speaking countries, and for small markets like Germany, the local distributors are even facing more difficuilties. Even seemingly safe bets such as Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon and Naruto aren't that easy to sell, thanks to them being rather long series. Which is unfortunate, since I would like to see a re-issue of the Kimagure Orange Road releases.

Single movies or releases that span no more than two or three volumes seems to have been less affected by rising prices, they are rather going down over time and can be had pretty cheap. My guess is that distributors have an easier time getting a large print run of these to sell successfully.

Another factor is that subbed-only releases are harder to sell to the mass market. The average Joe doesn't walk into a store for a subbed-only anime, he rather takes something that includes a dub, regardless if that dub is good or bad. Subtitles and the original Japanese language track are an afterthought for him, even if that feature is more important for people like us.

I keep in mind that from 2008 to 2010, many distributors of Anime in the US, UK and Germany went bankrupt or defunct. Like ADV Films, OVA Films, Central Park Media, Panini Video and SPV. I bet you guys can name a few more, don't you?
Some releases before that time must have gotten such oversized print runs, that you'll find them for cheap as chips still today, ten years later. While other releases seem to have gone straight for the opposite.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:43:16 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no