Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31547 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #1095 on: June 05, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
I probably will eventually, but right now I have nowhere to put my dvd's.  I'm trying to simplify/streamline my office & get rid of stuff(mainly a lot of Transformers along with GI Joe, He-man, etc.).  I can't even get to my dvd's since there's so much stuff in boxes,  ](*,)  I made a deal with a company to buy that stuff off me, but it's still going to take a while to get it all boxed up right & shipped.  I pray that someday I can't go into my office & actually enjoy being in there!  :derpcat: When that'll be, I don't know.  It's kind of tied into everything going on in my family's life right now, making life extra busy & stressful, hence why I need to laugh!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:53:55 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1096 on: June 06, 2018, 09:28:25 AM »
Well that’s f*cked.

Similarly f*cked: did Zeta Gundam ever get it’s real music put back for the US? It was missing from the OG DVD, and I’m pretty sure it’s still gone. f*cked.

Weird part? Neil Sedaka wrote the songs. They don’t even use them in Super Robot Wars, not even in the new games that come with the option to pay %50 just to get real music. f*cking rights bullshit...

It's a real kick in the shit. I can check Zeta for you (I have the BDs), is the original up on youtube? I assume it would be but you never know...

It probably is. I’ve really only seen the show on LD and that has all the real music.

Gypsy

« Reply #1097 on: June 10, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »
Yeah it is not the original one on the recent BD release.

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #1098 on: June 16, 2018, 08:15:03 AM »
Anyone else get the Robot Carnival Blu-Ray that came out not that long ago? I must say it's one of the best BR anime releases I've ever seen due to the all the extra content. They really went all out. Wish they did that with more old school anime releases. Picked up Vampire Hunter D and Golgo 13 The Professional on BR hoping for more extras but was let down a bit. Also, anyone here a fan of Yu Yu Hakusho? Just picked up the full series on DVD and getting ready to jump into it for the first time. Heard some good things about it so I decided to give it a try.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1099 on: June 16, 2018, 08:21:09 AM »
I probably would have gotten the Robot Carnival BR if they hadn’t decided to crop the thing to wide screen.  I know they say it was “always meant to be” wide but I’ve been watching it for decades in with the variable ratios, usually 4:3 so it would probably drive me nuts to watch it cropped.

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #1100 on: June 16, 2018, 12:14:13 PM »
RyuHayabusa, please post your YuYu Hakusho thoughts after watching it.  That's one I read about a looooooong time ago, and just never got around to picking up.  I'd be interested in knowing what you think at this point as a first-time viewer (since that would be my situation too!)
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1101 on: June 16, 2018, 01:49:23 PM »
Anyone else get the Robot Carnival Blu-Ray that came out not that long ago? I must say it's one of the best BR anime releases I've ever seen due to the all the extra content. They really went all out. Wish they did that with more old school anime releases. Picked up Vampire Hunter D and Golgo 13 The Professional on BR hoping for more extras but was let down a bit. Also, anyone here a fan of Yu Yu Hakusho? Just picked up the full series on DVD and getting ready to jump into it for the first time. Heard some good things about it so I decided to give it a try.

I picked it up it looks nice. There's a great behind the scenes video that explains a lot of the history of Streamline pictures.

I probably would have gotten the Robot Carnival BR if they hadn’t decided to crop the thing to wide screen.  I know they say it was “always meant to be” wide but I’ve been watching it for decades in with the variable ratios, usually 4:3 so it would probably drive me nuts to watch it cropped.

I wish they could have included both aspect ratios, I have a few cels from the Robo Frankenstein sequence and I was hoping to do a screen capture to print up a proper background for them, but at 16x9 it's considerably smaller than the actual shot with a lot of the painted cel not in the cropped widescreen shot.
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1102 on: June 16, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »
I never thought of trying that before. I have a cel from Only Yesterday that could benifit from that sort of thing greatly.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1103 on: June 16, 2018, 02:47:39 PM »
I never thought of trying that before. I have a cel from Only Yesterday that could benifit from that sort of thing greatly.

I've done it on more than a few cels, sometimes you have to zoom out so the background you're printing can be a little lower in resolution. But it beats having no background or a mismatched one.
--DragonmasterDan

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #1104 on: June 17, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »

Interesting. Over the years I've watched Robot Carnival many times, especially Deprive and Presence, my two favorite segments, and I did not even notice the BR release was cropped. I did enjoy the interview about Streamline Pictures a lot. Say what you will about Carl Macek, what he did to introduce anime to America was considerable. To this day most of my favorite anime was released by Streamline, including Robot Carnival, Fist of the North Star, Golgo 13, Akira, and Vampire Hunter D. I still have a few nagging questions about Presence that I guess will never be answered, like why is the protagonist's wife's face obscured, why does he stare at the dumpster full of robot parts, and a few others. Does he use parts from the robot dumpster to finish the "Uemetsu's Fantasy Girl"?

TR0N

« Reply #1105 on: June 17, 2018, 05:20:40 PM »

Fist of the North Star

Speaking of FOTNS it has just been released again on BR looking to buying this release.That will round it out since i all ready have the tv series on BR.
http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-Movie-Blu-ray/dp/B07CDCF335/

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #1106 on: June 18, 2018, 12:25:50 PM »

Fist of the North Star

Speaking of FOTNS it has just been released again on BR looking to buying this release.That will round it out since i all ready have the tv series on BR.
http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-Movie-Blu-ray/dp/B07CDCF335/

Cool, I didn't know it was coming out on BR. Definitely have to pick it up. Looks like there aren't many extras on it, though the original Japanese ending is on there. I had wanted to get the FOTNS tv series on BR but I had read that the picture quality wasn't any better than the DVD release. What did you think of the BR picture quality?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1107 on: June 18, 2018, 05:12:22 PM »
It exactly the same. Its an "SDBR". They only put it on on BR to save them from pressing dozens of discs.

Gypsy

« Reply #1108 on: June 20, 2018, 03:47:23 PM »

Castle of Cagliostro is excellent in this regard. Discotek generally tries but sometimes licensing issues get in the way. Yu Yu Hakusho was always one of my favorite shonen fighting animes. I wonder how many people kept watching after the DT to the conclusion. I did, but I know many people that did not.

It exactly the same. Its an "SDBR". They only put it on on BR to save them from pressing dozens of discs.

Correct. It's convenient but there are issues for children that use video game consoles as a media player (they don't like to play nice on PS4 in particular from what I remember of the complaints, though Discotek is working on this).

I started on Lupin Part IV the other day. The Papik music took some adjusting (think I will end up getting the sub release) but otherwise this is just great in general. Feels like it's going to end up being a favorite.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:52:29 PM by Gypsy »

Medic_wheat

« Reply #1109 on: July 18, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »

Finally. Darker than midnight blue.