Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30631 times)

Ji-L87

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #225 on: November 15, 2013, 11:42:20 PM »
So, I picked Agent Aika to watch next.  That was a poor decision and apparently I should have done a bit of Googling before deciding this would be what I watched on the treadmill/elliptical at the gym.  Lots and lots of fanservice in the form of boobies, panty shots and nudity. 

The ecchi was a bit lower in the first ep, but by the second ep I had to stop because it was SO over the top.

I still think AIKa is good tho'. For being what it is - that bit is important. It is a total fanservice show and one must enter it with that mindset, otherwise it will shock you with it's hysterical number of panty flashes.
I still think it's a much better show (hand animated, great background art, great soundtrack, good character & vehicle design, enjoyably 90s) than many newer fanservice shows that somehow actually gains popularity while AIKa mostly receives flak. (For example the Queens Blade-thing).

But I guess I'm just happy when a show is drawn in a visual style I like.

Googling about Green Green yields interesting results and makes me think I should just start looking to other parts of my anime collection for stuff to watch at the gym.    :shock: 8-[
If AIKa wasn't for you, Green Green is pretty much worse. It can be funny, yes, but ultimately it's a poorly written, poorly animated show with some occasional highlights but overall very forgettable.

Not saying not to watch it - just keep them expectations low  :wink:

Unrelated to that,
I just finished watching Nadia - the secret of Blue Water.
The style is great, the beginning and ending is properly good. However the middle is pretty bad - and it pretty much ruins it - but stick through and you will be rewarded with a good closure.
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Xak

« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2013, 02:44:03 PM »
I like old 80s animes and early 90s "movies" or OVA's whatever that stands for. I just love the quality and realism in the drawings back in the 80s (Golgo 13, Venus Wars , Devilman), those are classics. Now anime has gotten all weird and the art style has changed and got more eccentric . Please someone prove me wrong, and show me something cool like those movies I mentioned above. Vampire Hunter D was pretty cool too, and Demon City Shingitsu ?

I love that realistic anime art style the 80s OVA's used to bring.
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

Ji-L87

« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »
Please someone prove me wrong, and show me something cool like those movies I mentioned above.

Have you checked out Gundam Unicorn (have only seen screencaps) or the Redline movie? It's decidedly current in aesthetics but also does have a bit of an oldschool feel if I remember correctly. It's also kind of a rush :mrgreen:

But oh man. I agree with you and you made me want to go on a rant : >

I think you'll be hard pressed to find the kind of realistic touches you're after in modern anime. Or at least the mainstream stuff. Your best bet will be in the movies and not TV series. And by that I don't really mean movies connected to a running TV series (as those will only look like a better produced version of said show) but more in the line of Miyazaki, Mamoru Hosoda etc (Summer Wars, Girl who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children - his stuff does have more "current" look to it tho').

You said you liked OVAs and I too also totally love OVAs. (Original Video Animation)
They are awesome. Often done better than your average TV series but with way more creative freedom and no need for censoring since it went directly into the, then, booming home video market.

Everybody wins. Except for now - since it has pretty much died. Oh OVAs are still released but most stuff seem to be extra episodes for already existing works or smaller projects that just doesn't make much of a splash. I guess there just isn't much money to be had there anymore.

TV is where things are at right now and I'm not sure it's actually fair to compare OVAs with TV series - The drawing styles have changed, as you said, people are working at least partly digitally (i.e. the final line drawings are not printed on cels) - which dramatically change the way things look -  not to mention there is a lot of outsourcing going on (cheaper that way) and 3DCG is a thing now - which is both good and bad.

Honestly, I believe backgrounds is the one thing that have suffered the least over the years. Some are more digital than others but I've seen some stunning stuff in recent shows. There are still studios doing good animation work: Kyoto Animation, GAINAX/TRIGGER, Madhouse to name a few but they probably won't look like you want them too.

<---- Example of how much better Kanon from 2006 (KyoAni) looks compared to the one from 2002. Not a show you'd be interested in perhaps but something I had on hand  8-[ TV anime is actually looking better and better - however the aesthetics are not always for us perhaps.

Then again, some shows just makes me want to

Recent example

I'll end this rant with this:

/rant  :-$

To brighten things up a bit. Here's a brief video showing that Production IG are still doing a lot of the animation work for the newest Ghost in the Shell installment the traditional way.

Things go digital in the end of course but it's good to know that way of working hasn't died off entirely.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:15:00 AM by Ji-L87 »
CHECKPOINT!

xelement5x

« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »
I've got no problem with fanservice shows, I just don't like watching them at the gym where everyone can see it.  :?  I watched and enjoyed Girls Bravo, I just did it at home though.

I switched over to a Pet Shop of Horrors DVD I found.  It's only about 90 minutes but decent for the 2 eps I watched so far. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

xelement5x

« Reply #229 on: December 02, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »
Bump for posterity. 

I finished Pet Shop of Horrors, it was pretty good for being only about 4 eps.  Nice little shorts that are each separate stories.  Then I just finished Tokyo Babylon which has two 45 min eps each on it.  It was not that great but at least it is watched and can now be gotten rid of.

I'm watching RahXephon now.  I managed to get the whole thing rather cheap a couple years ago and never got time to watch it.  The first couple episodes seem reaaaally slow to me, not enough meat and too many teasing open questions.  Hopefully it gets better.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Nando

« Reply #230 on: December 02, 2013, 09:44:21 AM »

I'm watching RahXephon now.  I managed to get the whole thing rather cheap a couple years ago and never got time to watch it.  The first couple episodes seem reaaaally slow to me, not enough meat and too many teasing open questions.  Hopefully it gets better.

I recall watching some of this. If I recall right, it was position as a better fleshed out Evangelion....never did watch more than a handful of episodes. I liked the Mech design.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #231 on: December 02, 2013, 11:02:52 AM »
I finally watched the first episode of Bubblegum Crash. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was warned it would be.
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #232 on: February 03, 2014, 07:55:29 AM »
Just finished RahXephon today, it was pretty darn good and definitely worth the watch!  It does have a very Evangelion feel to it, but at least they didn't run out of budget 2/3 of the way through so everything looks great.  The ending is VERY Eva-esque, but it's got a nice semi-prologue to make a bit more sense of it all.  I also have the movie, but was told that the movie is really just a retelling of the series without much too it, I may watch it someday in the background.

Up next is an anime Bunny Drop which was given to me by a friend for Christmas.  I've heard good stuff about it, so I'm looking forward to it.  Also, only being 13 episodes makes it a bit faster to finish.  :)

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2014, 06:40:32 AM »
Just finished RahXephon today, it was pretty darn good and definitely worth the watch!  It does have a very Evangelion feel to it, but at least they didn't run out of budget 2/3 of the way through so everything looks great.  The ending is VERY Eva-esque, but it's got a nice semi-prologue to make a bit more sense of it all.  I also have the movie, but was told that the movie is really just a retelling of the series without much too it, I may watch it someday in the background.

Up next is an anime Bunny Drop which was given to me by a friend for Christmas.  I've heard good stuff about it, so I'm looking forward to it.  Also, only being 13 episodes makes it a bit faster to finish.  :)

I really enjoyed RahXephon as well.   I like it a lot more then Evangelion personally.  It's been a while, but I recall enjoying the movie as well, but I think it is semi different from the series, I just can't recall what the differences are.

Ji-L87

« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2014, 01:51:37 AM »
I finally watched the first episode of Bubblegum Crash. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was warned it would be.

But not nearly as good as one wants it to be, rite? :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!

HailingTheThings

« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2014, 04:04:12 PM »
Guyver! Is really good! Yes!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2014, 04:57:43 PM »
SAILOR MOON.  HNFGG
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Digi.k

« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2014, 06:38:58 PM »
I like old 80s animes and early 90s "movies" or OVA's whatever that stands for. I just love the quality and realism in the drawings back in the 80s (Golgo 13, Venus Wars , Devilman), those are classics. Now anime has gotten all weird and the art style has changed and got more eccentric . Please someone prove me wrong, and show me something cool like those movies I mentioned above. Vampire Hunter D was pretty cool too, and Demon City Shingitsu ?

I love that realistic anime art style the 80s OVA's used to bring.

haven't been on this thread in ages but some obscure animes should be hunted down.  Although these ones are 90's.

Genesis survivor gaiarth is one of them  I love this one !!

also if you ever liked Tenchi Muyo then El Harzard the magnificent world is also an amazing show.

another strange show was moldiver

only shows I can remember enjoying from the 80's is the Urusei Yatsura tv show, Creamy Mami and Candy Candy although that is one really old show !!

candy candy
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 06:48:17 PM by Digi.k »

TR0N

« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »
I didn't know until now that the space cobra adventure tv series got a dvd/bluray release  :shock: :clap:

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

xelement5x

« Reply #239 on: April 05, 2014, 04:38:59 AM »
I've actually worked through a fair number of stuff since the last post and forgot to update!

Bunny Drop - Really good slice of life series.  If you're a parent then this one will pull at your heart strings
Welcome to NHK - Okay, a bit to otaku heavy for me.  The underlying theme is a good one though.
Attack on Titan - Watched about half of the first series.  Action, killing, blood, babes.  Story is a bit weak IMHO.
Crest of the Stars - Older but good.  It was worth my time but I'm glad I didn't pay a lot for it.
Princess Jellyfish - Wow, this one was great.  It's very girl themed but I enjoyed almost every episode of this series.