Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30614 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #990 on: January 20, 2018, 05:33:58 PM »
http://youtu.be/2PJePhJY76U

I’d be interested in discussing this, the OVA itself or the analysis. The guy himself...his voice is annoying and every pro podcaster looks like Jake Paul to me now but in my opinion it’s well worth watching.

This is the kind of anime that I love and almost nobody else will even watch let alone watch dozens of times, largely because a lot of it is impossible to find (in this case there is a perfect HD ver on YouTube) or its untranslated (in this case there is so little dialogue and so many ways to interpret the thing that language is not that important) so I’m glad to see this.

Fantastic movie, highly symbolic so there is a lot to think about. I wonder if I could find a Japanese LD or DVD of it. Preferably LD just for the artwork if anything.

The LD is the cheapest by far now, but it still hard to find. I have the original release and while I’ll never part with it I honestly have to say that nobody really saw this thing until the HD transfer. You lose a LOT on the LD.

There is a reprint that I’m pretty sure just adds Digital Sound and I think here is an Oshii box set that has this in it. If the box is a remaster I’d recommend it over the earlier LD.

Gypsy

« Reply #991 on: January 21, 2018, 01:27:05 AM »
Yeah I couldn't find anything but the blu on eBay. Didn't look on yaj yet though. The blu was a bit more than I'd want to pay for a single movie.

There is an LD Oshii set on eBay but it does not include Angel's Egg. It was 4/6 movies I already have too, so not much interest in that.

xelement5x

« Reply #992 on: January 22, 2018, 02:47:09 AM »
On the recommendation of PunkicCyborg a couple weeks back, I just finished watching Devilman Crybaby on Netflix just recently. It starts out really weird and over the top with the nudity and themes, but the series ends with an insane crescendo of sorts over the last three episodes. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but the music and animation are incredibly well done, plus at only 10 episodes it is not too long to stick with. I'd recommend it to anyone looking with something different to watch, it's not anything like most of the modern moe garbage that comes out.
Dunno but i think devilman crybaby animation was rather sloppy.Though for the amount of sex&violence it had i saw it as the norm since it is based off go-nagai original.

Yeah, I can see your complaints on the animation, but I considered it just hyper-stylized which to me kind of fit with the off kilter feel of the whole anime.  My biggest animation complaint was that you see Miki's amazing abs like once and then they never show them again despite the fact that you frequently see her running in the same outfit.  Must've been too much work to keep up :P
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Gypsy

« Reply #993 on: January 22, 2018, 07:08:21 AM »
I started up rewatching Ranma the other day. I don't think I ever finished the first time.

esteban

« Reply #994 on: January 22, 2018, 07:53:53 AM »
On the recommendation of PunkicCyborg a couple weeks back, I just finished watching Devilman Crybaby on Netflix just recently. It starts out really weird and over the top with the nudity and themes, but the series ends with an insane crescendo of sorts over the last three episodes. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but the music and animation are incredibly well done, plus at only 10 episodes it is not too long to stick with. I'd recommend it to anyone looking with something different to watch, it's not anything like most of the modern moe garbage that comes out.
Dunno but i think devilman crybaby animation was rather sloppy.Though for the amount of sex&violence it had i saw it as the norm since it is based off go-nagai original.

Yeah, I can see your complaints on the animation, but I considered it just hyper-stylized which to me kind of fit with the off kilter feel of the whole anime.  My biggest animation complaint was that you see Miki's amazing abs like once and then they never show them again despite the fact that you frequently see her running in the same outfit.  Must've been too much work to keep up :P

I finished watching Devilman: crybaby and I enjoyed it.

:)
  |    | 

Medic_wheat

« Reply #995 on: January 23, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »
https://imgur.com/gallery/9HWuu

Time to take a break and just enjoy an Anime that is light hearted and hits all the funny bones.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #996 on: January 23, 2018, 10:59:42 AM »
Yeah I couldn't find anything but the blu on eBay. Didn't look on yaj yet though. The blu was a bit more than I'd want to pay for a single movie.

There is an LD Oshii set on eBay but it does not include Angel's Egg. It was 4/6 movies I already have too, so not much interest in that.

I watched the original LD again the other night. It’s not as bad as I remember, very good image for 1985. I guess that HD version on YT just blew my mind a little too much for a minute. Full disclosure, I have a CLD-99 and an XBR-960 which, in period, was one of the best LD viewing setups available. Your mileage may vary.

Gypsy

« Reply #997 on: January 23, 2018, 12:09:04 PM »
I have that exact tv but definitely not as good of a player. I'm generally fine with my LD viewing experience though, and I don't watch them super frequently.

Lately I've been focused on upgrading my audio. Also eyeing a better BD player.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #998 on: January 24, 2018, 09:55:46 AM »
Something I have been thinking. About since I watched Devilman Crybaby is this.

It says season 1

Everyone seems to ignore this.

Sure it covered be entirety do the five volume manga but why denote t as season one?

Will it continue with a second season?  Maybe following Violance Jack?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #999 on: January 24, 2018, 11:19:18 AM »
Every show on Netflix is season one, even if there is one season only.

Now, can we talk about Angel’s Egg you f*cking retards?

Medic_wheat

« Reply #1000 on: January 24, 2018, 11:59:08 AM »

I have never noticed that. 

You must watch more Netflix then I.

esteban

« Reply #1001 on: January 24, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »

Is Angel’s Egg available via ESPN Internacional or FOX NEWS?
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1002 on: January 24, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »
It’s only on Crackle, somehow.

But seriously,

HD ver

SD ver with subs (not needed, film is almost totally without dialogue, don’t watch this, watch the HD version. Yes, stupid, I know you can’t understand Japanese. No, I’m not saying you’re stupid for not knowing Japanese, you’re stupid for thinking that being able to understand Japanese would somehow make it easier to understand this movie. Don’t watch this. Watch the HD version.):

Gypsy

« Reply #1003 on: January 24, 2018, 02:53:18 PM »

Good movie. I've watched it a couple times now.

It's a religious commentary. There is some stuff up for interpretation I think. It seems to me like Oshii at the time wasn't entirely sure what to make of religion entirely himself.

seieienbu

« Reply #1004 on: January 25, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
First impression of Angel's Egg:  I love the gritty, old look of the animation.  The way animation looked when I was a child always gives me a nostalgia feeling that modern animation can't match.  I'm happy to watch something like this for a bit just due to the look.  I'm a big fan of how much detail goes into hair and rippling water and things of that nature.  Likewise, the details like the rusted junk or the wooden objects with scrollwork in the foreground/background are fantastic.

I'll probably post something of more substance in an hour or so after I've, you know, actually watched the film.

Post viewing edit:  The spectacle of the visuals makes it well worth watching.  Without spoilers, the ending was hard to get through. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 02:22:46 PM by seieienbu »
Current want list:  Bomberman 93