Author Topic: Is the GT worth getting?  (Read 721 times)

roflmao

Re: Is the GT worth getting?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 04:35:31 PM »
"8" and "B" look extremely similar as do "0" and "O".  I think both are used in Final Lap Twin codes, though it's been so long I could be wrong.  I think there were others, such as "I" and "1". But I haven't tried playing through it since I last beat it on the Express and I want to say that was back in 1997 or so.  Still, it's on my to-do list to give another go at next time I go on an extended trip. :)

But actually playing is another story.  It's a great game to play on the Express/GT. 

soop

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 09:55:55 PM »
Today, I packed in Devil Crash, Neutopia II, Bomberman '94 (can't beat that crab!  especially when you start on him with no power-ups!), be ball, and makia prince dor.. Kid dracula.

spenoza

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »
Did the express have any expansions lines or leads like the regular PCE units? I keep imagining it might be possible to construct a save unit for one.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

soop

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 09:22:58 PM »
Did the express have any expansions lines or leads like the regular PCE units? I keep imagining it might be possible to construct a save unit for one.

From what I've heard from other people, the hucard slot is very similar to the expansion port.  The discussion was about using a GT or Shuttle with a CD Unit, and the concensus was that it was almost possible, but there was a pin missing or something.

It's a bit vague, but someone who knows what they're talking about will be able to expand on this.

BEERS AND VIDEOS

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
I must admit to shooting in my pants over these when they first came out, now after getting my Duo R i have my eye on then again. Be handy for testing some games too without having to plug and unplug the R(so the kids dont mess with it).
Any thoughts?  :D

Absolutely, get it! Sure, the caps will likely need to be replaced - and the pixel density is low by today's standards, but it's a seriously amazing machine - and when you remember that it was released in 1990, you'll be even more amazed.

A couple of suggestions to make your Express/GT experience even better:

1. Invest in the Aneloop batteries. They provide a good 4-6 play time and charge quickly.

2. Get a Neo PCE-Flash card. While the compatibility of ROM files can be iffy, find about 10 games that you like and that work and you have a library of great games on one card. Just makes it all that much more portable.

3. Find someone on here to replace your caps - video and sound. I have a GT that I didn't even realize was full of leaky caps, until I plugged in the headphones and only one side was giving sound. You want your GT or Express to be in top working condition. BlueBMW did an awesome job replacing the caps on my GT.

And finally, 4. Either get a converter (good luck finding one that isn't outrageously priced) or find a place that sells a duel boot GT or Express. I bought one from a great guy in Hong Kong. He sells systems that can play PC Engine or Turbo Grafx games with the click of a switch. I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here who could do the same at a cheaper price that buying overseas. Red Ghost does a great job at modding stuff!

Hope that helps.

BEERS AND VIDEOS

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 03:44:15 PM »

While a save unit would be AWESOME (and I'd buy one pretty much immediately), I've found that taking a picture of codes with my phone works great, too. That way you always have the codes with you and there's little room for error in copying them down.