Author Topic: Turbo Grafx 16 / PC Engine / Express / GT Region Mod Chips for sale!  (Read 8609 times)

csgx1

Re: Turbo Grafx 16 / PC Engine / Express / GT Region Mod Chips for sale!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 02:37:24 PM »
I just successfully installed my first 'Obey' mod chip in my Turbo Grafx.  The guide was easy to follow and made the installation trouble free.  A bit nerve racking cutting hucard slot pins but overall a fun and rewarding experience. 

The best part of the whole process is doing the end test and seeing a PC Engine game load up for the first time :dance:....woohoo, success!

Thanks guys for creating such a great product.   Looking forward to the RGB amps as well.   

Now that I had a warm up, on to attempting the switchless region mod on my Turbo Express. 

thesteve

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 07:51:53 AM »
just a 2 notes on the express.
1: solder bridge JP1 to enable mode latch.
2: the switch board install can be tested before installing the control board by connecting the control wire to +5 for original region, and Ground for swap.

corrected info
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 07:29:15 AM by thesteve »

thesteve

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
i just installed a switchless in an express.
i chose to do it differently

csgx1

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »
Just finished modding my Turbo Express with the switch-less region mod and it's great!

thesteve...Thanks for posting your install pics and for the tips.  They helped me a great deal.  I first followed the guide for the switch-less mod install and when I finished, I had major issues with PCE games freezing and glitching.  I then used some slightly thicker gauge wire and re-routed the ground and power wires like the pictures and now it works perfectly.

Thanks again for creating/offering these awesome mod chips. :D

thesteve

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »
that's interesting, that it solved the issues for you.
the wire routing shouldn't have changed anything, however if you were having wire failures (broken/ came loose ect), then using different wire would solve it.
just as a note I am using #26 wire, and it fits the holes perfect.

allyourblood

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 05:41:51 PM »
Are these still available? I PM'd earlier, but I have a feeling it didn't go through (new to this forum's layout, so I can't really tell). I'd like to purchase one, if they are. Thanks!
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

thesteve

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 05:59:59 PM »
we still got em

csgx1

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
It's quite possible that my issue could have been caused by a damaged/broken wire.  All connections were double checked and were secure. 

I was thinking the glitching and freezing when booting a non-native (PCE) hucard was caused by the switch board not getting consistent power through longer and thin wire....possibly?  In any case, the issue was fix after changing and re-routing the wires.

Any updates on the RGB amps? 

BlueBMW

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 01:52:53 AM »
I know the very small 30 gauge wire can easily get damaged even just by handling / bending it a few times.  Going with larger wire (26 gauge) may be a better bet.  A weak wire could certainly cause glitching.

If anyone else has had installation issues, please let me know!

As far as RGB amps, they're still a little ways off.  I'll be working on the design for them this weekend some more. :D
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

edojapan76

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 03:09:53 AM »
I just installed a BlueBMW mod chip. Buy this mans chips!

This isn't supposed to happen  :-s

Who needs ugly RCA mods, when they can have an RCA attachment that's bigger than the G.D. system.  :dance:

BlueBMW

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 03:35:04 AM »
edojapan's TG16 is the first US system I've ever heard of needing the pin 29 grounded on in order for the region switch to work.  I'll be adding a note to the install guide.  Maybe some of the very late (or very early) TG16s were a little different as far as region lockout goes.

Congrats on the great install edojapan!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »
PCE DUO install

allyourblood

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 03:06:05 PM »
A few shots of my installed chip and switch. I gave up shrinking the tubing on the wires after I kept having them come free in the process; I just slid it on there, but they're all wedged together so well that there's no fear of exposure or shorts. Darn 30 gauge wire can be touchy sometimes. The blue 26g wires connected to the switch in the first shot were just there for a quick and dirty test. I was going to replace them all with the smaller wire but the last few seemed to fit fine without bulking things up too much inside.

I'll do better with the next one. Many thanks to BlueBMW for the supplies and install tips! Wonderful service and very easy to install.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:13:10 PM by allyourblood »
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

thesteve

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 07:30:59 AM »
Looking GREAT man.  Def have use(s) for these.  Any news on the TE LCD swap? ;)

Im tackling it now

phipscube

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
Here's my efforts on my PCE GT: -

It all went together nicely, but I haven't got a US game to test properly yet. The Regular Japanese games work fine. I'll keep an eye on its function though, i'm worried i've used too thin a wire for power and GND after reading csgx1's findings. I'll post here if I do have problems to let everyone know.