Author Topic: The Manga Thread: Finding Good Manga  (Read 262 times)

sunteam_paul

The Manga Thread: Finding Good Manga
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:01:26 AM »
We already have an anime thread so a manga thread is essential.

I've not bought much in the way of manga for some time, because it's so hard to know what is good and what is teenage junk. And with a series running over so many books it can be intimidating to take the first step. So here's a place for your top manga recommendations.

I'll start off with:

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind.
Far, far better than the anime, this is the Lord of the Rings of manga. Miyazaki-san is a beautiful illustrator and I wish he's draw more manga.

Urusei Yatsura
Crazy, hilarious, marvellous characters. Rumiko Takahashi at her best.

Maison Ikkoku
Another Takahashi series, it's the template for so many manga and anime that followed. The story is funny, touching and dramatic at times. It actually had a conclusion, which is nice because so many manga just go on forever.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

PunkicCyborg

Re: The Manga Thread: Finding Good Manga
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:59:47 AM »
Cant go wrong with Akira. The manga is incredible. The artwork is beautiful and you wonder why they decided to cram the whole story into one movie. I love how it revolves more on the biker gangs than in the movie.
 I also read a lot of 3x3 eyes recently. There was a really good fan translation online
My other tops are  Battle Angel Alita, Outlanders, Caravan Kidd, Gunsmith Cats, and Ranma.
I haven't read anything new, I'm stuck in the 80's.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

sunteam_paul

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:14:25 AM »
Outlanders was awesome and had a big influence on me.

Other old manga I loved: Mai The Psychic Girl, Fist of the North Star, Grey (really bleak and brilliant) and Appleseed. I read a fair bit of the old Viz stuff when manga was just starting to catch on.
I just felt in a hole!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:28:03 AM »
Fist of the North Star and Ranma 1/2 I feel should be required reading...lol  Classics

I have been WAY OUT of the manga/ comic loop lately, but I do dig the 'MegaTokyo' series, even if it really is just a webcomic that looks like a manga.  Might want to give it a try, it's worth quite a few laughs.

RR1980

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 06:35:14 PM »
you know one manga that I liked but for some reason didn't like the anime as much was Slam Dunk

TR0N

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 06:41:36 PM »
Appleseed.
2nd that was the frist manga that i read in the late 80's.When a friend introduce me to appleseed i was hooked on manga for,many years.

Though i don't read manga any more i outgrew that years ago.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 11:47:33 PM »
I picked up the Vampire Hunter D manga since I had never read it and Vampire Hunter D (the original) is my favorite anime movie ever.
--DragonmasterDan

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 03:53:46 AM »
between this and the anime thread, almost all of the suggestions are from the 80s and 90s. I know that is probably cause that's when we were younger and into the stuff in the first place. But does anyone know newer anime? I'm sure there is some good ones but I've watched a couple and tried to read a newer graphic novel and It doesn't have the same charm as the older stuff.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »
I grew up with Ranma 1/2, DragonBall, City hunter, Dr. Slump, Kimengumi etc. still my fav classics today.

Lately I have read Rival.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

sunteam_paul

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »
I grew up with Ranma 1/2, DragonBall, City hunter, Dr. Slump, Kimengumi etc. still my fav classics today.

Lately I have read Rival.

City Hunter and Dragon Ball were two of my favourites that I had every volume in Japanese. It's such a pity the City Hunter translation didn't last long before the company vanished. The Dragon Ball translation came to me a bit too late. I started collecting it but gave up when it became harder to get hold of in the UK.
I just felt in a hole!