Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72379 times)

Samurai Ghost

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #360 on: March 19, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »
I dunno, I just found it to be a really fun little game, but the paddle control really makes it for me. The control is spot on and once you figure out the physics it's pretty easy to control where you go. I don't mind the music/sounds that much, and think they are pretty funny actually. Cleared the game last night, and it's pretty damn easy if you abuse the fact that you can mine for items/1-ups but just spamming one of the lower windows. The last couple levels are awesome though! Definitely not a complicated game, but the strange violence mixed with the cheery atmosphere is the main reason I like it.

esteban

« Reply #361 on: March 19, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »
Been so addicted to it lately. You are an acrobat saving people from a burning building with cheerful music playing in the background, but what's great is that if you aren't fast enough the people fall to their deaths, turning into skeletons below, but as long as you survive it just means a slightly lower score for you. And also what's funny is how they decide the point value of the various people you save. An old lady, gangster, or junior high school student are only worth 100 points each, where as aerobics instructors, nurses, sumo wrestlers, or even cats are worth far more. So when you have to choose between two people falling to their gory deaths, you have to consider who is a more valuable human being. Interesting social commentary! Plus all of the stages are different, the difficulty ramps up perfectly, there are tons of different items to help you along the way, and the colorful graphics are great. One of my favorite Mark III exclusives!

Cook has always valued cats over humans.
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #362 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »
I want to like it.  I was thrown off by the vertical scrolling, can't see your dudes.  And I can't go to the edge of the screen otherwise I pop out the other side.  And that noise when the stage starts pretty much destroyed my neighborhood.  I did get to stage 3 yesterday but now I can't get past stage 2.  My dude just keeps bouncing and bouncing and I can't get his ass over to the last hostage.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #363 on: March 19, 2012, 11:25:26 PM »
Well that's kind of the challenge, you have to keep a mental note of where you dudes are and be ready to catch your hero when he comes down. There's actually a little radar on the right side of the screen that tells you where they are, but I've never used it. It gets even tougher in the later stages when the buildings are much higher,the speed doubles, and people are falling one after another. You sort of enter this zen matrix mode where you are catching people without even seeing what you are doing (you can tell by the sound effects). But generally the best strategy is to let them die and just concentrating on surviving yourself. Eventually you'll get better at controlling your dude. Depending on which pixel he hits on your net he will fly at a certain angle in the opposite direction, or if you have the big net, straight up, which is very useful. Popping out the other side when you go to the edge is weird though. Doesn't happen on my copy. Maybe it has to do with your controller? Weird.

There are helicopter and key items hidden in specific locations. If you can get the key or the helicopter (which you have to catch when it comes) the stage will end, and you will go to a bonus stage if you get the 'choppa (with a possibility of a 1up). Also if you can get the net upgrade (looks like a plate) you will get a bigger net which helps a lot. Haven't found many of the key/heli locations after stage 15 yet (there are 30 stages in all) but I'm thinking about writing a FAQ for this game as I've made a note of lot of their locations.

For example, there is a copter on the second window from the left and in the very middle in very top row in stage 1 (you have to save the people first), a key on the very left of the top in stage 2, a copter one from the right in the top row in stage 3, a key in the middle of the top row on stage 4, etc.

But yeah, I agree the opening/ending siren sounds are quite annoying. But I love the sound effect for bodies hitting the street, so it kind of balances out.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:27:13 PM by Samurai Ghost »

esteban

« Reply #364 on: March 20, 2012, 12:38:35 AM »
Well that's kind of the challenge, you have to keep a mental note of where you dudes are and be ready to catch your hero when he comes down. There's actually a little radar on the right side of the screen that tells you where they are, but I've never used it. It gets even tougher in the later stages when the buildings are much higher,the speed doubles, and people are falling one after another. You sort of enter this zen matrix mode where you are catching people without even seeing what you are doing (you can tell by the sound effects). But generally the best strategy is to let them die and just concentrating on surviving yourself. Eventually you'll get better at controlling your dude. Depending on which pixel he hits on your net he will fly at a certain angle in the opposite direction, or if you have the big net, straight up, which is very useful. Popping out the other side when you go to the edge is weird though. Doesn't happen on my copy. Maybe it has to do with your controller? Weird.

There are helicopter and key items hidden in specific locations. If you can get the key or the helicopter (which you have to catch when it comes) the stage will end, and you will go to a bonus stage if you get the 'choppa (with a possibility of a 1up). Also if you can get the net upgrade (looks like a plate) you will get a bigger net which helps a lot. Haven't found many of the key/heli locations after stage 15 yet (there are 30 stages in all) but I'm thinking about writing a FAQ for this game as I've made a note of lot of their locations.

For example, there is a copter on the second window from the left and in the very middle in very top row in stage 1 (you have to save the people first), a key on the very left of the top in stage 2, a copter one from the right in the top row in stage 3, a key in the middle of the top row on stage 4, etc.

But yeah, I agree the opening/ending siren sounds are quite annoying. But I love the sound effect for bodies hitting the street, so it kind of balances out.

You have to write something up about this game. I had never heard of it prior to your post, and now I want to check it out for myself.

|    | 

GohanX

« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2012, 04:38:08 AM »
Why is it some YouTube videos are unable to load fast enough to avoid buffering every 6 seconds? This is the first time I've had this problem with a GameSack episode, but I've had it before with other stuff. No, it's not my connection, I have Comcast super-duper-explosive high speed broadband. It's something within YouTube that causes it, and it's only certain videos (but always the same ones).

You're not alone. I have a 18 mbps pipe here and can literally download a high res divx movie faster than I can load a 720p half hour Youtube video. I'm wondering if the isp throttles Youtube traffic.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #366 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:56 AM »
Nice episode!
I know I had my hopes up but maybe the next one can be the CDi episode we've all been waiting for.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #367 on: March 20, 2012, 08:29:58 AM »
Nice episode!
I know I had my hopes up but maybe the next one can be the CDi episode we've all been waiting for.

Biggest sad face ever......   ugh.... lol

futureman2000

« Reply #368 on: March 20, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »
I have had the same problem with some Youtube videos, including this week's Game Sack.
Take off yer flip flops and set up the tripod: it's bag kickin' time!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #369 on: March 21, 2012, 01:52:47 AM »
...maybe the next one can be the CDi episode PunkicCyborg has been waiting for.
Corrected.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

esteban

« Reply #370 on: March 21, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »
...maybe the next one can be the CDi episode PunkicCyborg and esteban have been lusting waiting for.

Corrected.

Corrected. 
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #371 on: March 25, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
New episode:

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #372 on: March 25, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »
Nice, you covered Megumi Rescue!  :D The control did look a little twitchy, although playable as you mentioned.
Sengoku Blaeade also got some much needed love. That game is just too much fun and has some amazing graphics.

But as usual I'm off to buy a couple new games now... Always passed on Keio's Flying Squadron 2 because they changed it to a platformer, but it looks pretty fun to me so I'll give it a shot. And I think I had the same experience as you with Devil Hunter Yoko when I played it a long time ago. I didn't know about that shield attack and just got my ass beat hard on the first level or two. Might have to go pick it up too! Damn you guys and your informative game reviews!!

roflmao

« Reply #373 on: March 25, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »
Great video.  FYI, Three Wonders can also be found on Capcom Classics Collection 2 (I have it for the PS2 but it might have come out on other systems), along with some other awesome games (Sidearms, Strider, Street Fighter 2 Turbo...). I think I picked my used copy up from GS for for something like $8. 

td741

« Reply #374 on: March 26, 2012, 01:58:43 AM »
<Whiny Nitpick>Three Wonders was available in North America... in Arcades</Whiny Nitpick> :P