Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72408 times)

esteban

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2115 on: April 08, 2015, 09:25:40 AM »

The PC-FX is the inverse of the N64 and as such, I prefer the library over the N64s, even though I don't consider myself a big PC-FX fan. 2D games are a big deal to me and having even just Zenki and Zerogaier goes a long way towards tipping the scales for me. But RPGs and games filled with lots of art, cinemas and "redbook" music and voice acting, let alone touches of PCE aesthetics... that all makes the library more desirable than N64 and Jaguar. Can't say for sure with 3DO though, I'd have to further explore the libraries to make a definitive call.

Well, everything bests the Jaguar library. :)

|    | 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #2116 on: April 08, 2015, 09:44:32 AM »
The PC-FX at least dodged a bullet and didn't have all the western 3D wank nonsense that killed otherwise good ideas.

having played the entire PCFX library and probably 90% of N64's library, I can say I'd rather play PC-FX.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

geise

« Reply #2117 on: April 08, 2015, 11:41:20 AM »
having played the entire PCFX library and probably 90% of N64's library, I can say I'd rather play PC-FX.

Word!

VenomMacbeth

Game Sack
« Reply #2118 on: April 08, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
I agree with all that's been said about language barriers.  I don't even want to play through a mostly action-oriented game like Cadash without knowing the story.

With that, this was probably one of the most unfulfilling episodes of Game Sack for me.  Not at all by the fault of Joe or Dave, it just...sort of confirmed why I haven't looked deeper into the system & its library.

Was the PC-FX a worthy successor to the PC Engine?  Maybe not, but I can definitely see where they were going. 

The Hucards were mostly shooters & arcadey action games.  The CD medium brought a nice mixture of the aforementioned genres, while adding some fantastic RPGs, and most of all, anime cutscenes strewn throughout. As a fan of anime (fanime?  Fanny Maye?), I thoroughly appreciate this & it's honestly what persuaded me to finally pony up for a Duo.

The PC-FX seems to have kept going in that same direction, only to an extreme. 

I was about to cite the PC-FX's design for having a lack of foresight, but I forgot it has all those ports for add-on dongly-doodads.  Really, though, a true successor to the PCE should have had at least some 3D capabilities by default.  Everyone knew 3D was the way things were gonna go, because video games are a way for you to interact & experience a story that you otherwise couldn't experience in real life...and real life isn't in 2D.
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2119 on: April 08, 2015, 01:35:33 PM »
I think my only quibble was at one point, and I forget who said it (probably Dave), there was mention of it being a "family-friendly show" just a short while after a game necessitating censor bars to cover up explicit sex acts had been featured.  I was kind of forced to assume sarcasm, but it definitely didn't come across that way.

The family friendly part was in Dave's original script. I changed it and removed the "family friendly" part because that's something that to me just sounds dumb. He said it anyway somehow. I've removed the words "family friendly" from more than one of his scripts successfully. Basically the gist is that we don't cuss to gain attention like lots of others do, but we still say ass and sometimes shit and other crap like that when needed. I think Dave might be worried about his daughter or his nephew watching. "Unca Dave said 'f*ckin' smelly diarrhea soup' so why can't I cuss too?"

Quote from: Arkan
You should've asked me for recommendations/borrowed stuff, lol.
I totally would have. Go back in time and PM me. 3 or 4 weeks outta do it.

esteban

« Reply #2120 on: April 08, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »

I think my only quibble was at one point, and I forget who said it (probably Dave), there was mention of it being a "family-friendly show" just a short while after a game necessitating censor bars to cover up explicit sex acts had been featured.  I was kind of forced to assume sarcasm, but it definitely didn't come across that way.

The family friendly part was in Dave's original script. I changed it and removed the "family friendly" part because that's something that to me just sounds dumb. He said it anyway somehow. I've removed the words "family friendly" from more than one of his scripts successfully. Basically the gist is that we don't cuss to gain attention like lots of others do, but we still say ass and sometimes shit and other crap like that when needed. I think Dave might be worried about his daughter or his nephew watching. "Unca Dave said 'f*ckin' smelly diarrhea soup' so why can't I cuss too?"

The reason I watch Game Sack with my daughter is because it doesn't gratuitously use vulgar, offensive content. Even if I didn't watch it with my daughter, I love the fact that you two create a very compelling show without resorting to vulgar language. I'm no prudeā€”I actually am horribly profane and must consciously stop myself from using lewd/inappropriate phrases/expressions.
  |    | 

Sparky

« Reply #2121 on: April 08, 2015, 03:30:29 PM »
I think joe has a vaginia. :P

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #2122 on: April 08, 2015, 04:31:49 PM »

lol, it's your show.   You do the leg work.   I mean I know you have to fish for stuff from people so you don't miss things like how Joe and Mac are caveman ninjas, but really, you're capable of realizing who here might have PC-FX stuff, or could've made a more direct post about it.  I mean, you ARE moderator at the biggest NEC game console hardware forum on the internet.   Why not send a few PMs and reach out yourself?

Because I don't really like your show, I only remember to watch it when someone creates a dedicated thread to a specific episode, like this PC-FX one, or I see it in passing while scrolling around on Facebook.   

It's not really my job to follow and look for my opportunity to send someone things for a show I barely watch.  I am happy to help, since it's NEC and PC-FX.   But, I won't go out of my way to look for opportunity to help...

Honestly though, with the way you consistently miss things on this forum, I could've probably posted a thread called "JOE REDIFER, HERE IS SOME PC-FX STUFF" and you probably still would have missed it and then went OH HOW DID I MISS THIS, like a week or seven too late.

not that any of this matters because you seem to think it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

you're probably right.   Being able to properly review the majority of the games is what would have changed the outcome.

joe has a vagina. :P

fixed

Sparky

« Reply #2123 on: April 08, 2015, 04:38:17 PM »
No that's what he calls it .. :p

HailingTheThings

« Reply #2124 on: April 08, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »

Why not just plan a follow up episode for the PC-FX? Or maybe some sort of revisit episode that covers a few consoles?

PS Mew.

SamIAm

« Reply #2125 on: April 08, 2015, 06:50:07 PM »
The problem with Rolfee and Yuna, and a few other PC-FX games that I think are very interesting, too, is that it's hard for Joe and Dave to say much about them. What the hell are they supposed to talk about if they don't speak Japanese, and to an audience of non-Japanese speakers, no less? Rolfee and Yuna just don't fit the formula. You might not like the formula itself, but you can hardly blame them for making the choices they did.

I do wish that they had invested a little more time in the games and investigated a few of them more deeply, but I can understand that this probably isn't realistic for a free show by two guys who otherwise work full time. I watch Game Sack regularly, I think they generally do a very good job, and I'm glad that they gave the PC-FX a shot even if the result was less than ideal.

BTW, Arkhan, how much Japanese do you read? I get the impression that you can handle a few hundred words only. Is that right? You know, I love your enthusiasm, and everything is cool as long as you are enjoying yourself, but I don't get why anyone who doesn't read Japanese at a fairly high level would play those text-heavy games. It seems like you'd have to be more in love with the idea of the games than the games themselves. You certainly can't expect most other non-readers to get the same kind of enjoyment as you. You also can't expect people to take your game reviews too seriously when you don't understand the story of a story-centric game. Sorry if that's harsh...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:16:51 PM by SamIAm »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #2126 on: April 08, 2015, 08:40:59 PM »
The problem with Rolfee and Yuna, and a few other PC-FX games that I think are very interesting, too, is that it's hard for Joe and Dave to say much about them. What the hell are they supposed to talk about if they don't speak Japanese, and to an audience of non-Japanese speakers, no less? Rolfee and Yuna just don't fit the formula. You might not like the formula itself, but you can hardly blame them for making the choices they did.
I go for enthusiasm.  It's important.   Flashing the official, and unofficial mascots would have been exciting, to me.   

I don't mind their choices, and get what they did really.  I just would've added a bit.   

All in all, I actually did think this was one of the better episodes, to me.   I personally am not really a big fan of ANY gaming videos.   I almost always find them boring.  Or I don't like the persons voice and then just get annoyed.  Or there's forced humor/wit that irks me.  I can't even watch like, a tutorial video on something.   Just give me a paragraph instead. 

I had to force myself to even sit and finish the PCFX one here.

I also don't fault the commentary they did for the games.  They did what I would have expected.  It's just unfortunate that there ends up being almost diddly dick to talk about with the games because most of them require reading.

What sucks even more is, even if the few of us who are homebrew-spazzes get our shit together and make some PCFX games, who are we going to share it with?

The entire PC-FX owning community could probably fit in my living room.   It's an uphill battle to even get the system going.    We COULD kickstart the thing (not Kickstarter, just, literally, kick it in the nuts and get some new games on it that are what Round Eye wants).

We'd just have to be SUPER ENTHUSIASTIC TO GET PEOPLE AMPED AND PAYING ATTENTION.

Basically.

BTW, Arkhan, how much Japanese do you read? I get the impression that you can handle a few hundred words only. Is that right? You know, I love your enthusiasm, and everything is cool as long as you are enjoying yourself, but I don't get why anyone who doesn't read Japanese at a fairly high level would play those text-heavy games. It seems like you'd have to be more in love with the idea of the games than the games themselves. You certainly can't expect most other non-readers to get the same kind of enjoyment as you. You also can't expect people to take your game reviews too seriously when you don't understand the story of a story-centric game. Sorry if that's harsh...
Enthusiasm is the theme of the PC-FX, I think.

The PC-FX is actually what finally pushed me pretty hard into "I should actually learn how to read Japanese" territory.  The machine is weird and has a weird library of intriguing nonsense.

I can read the text in the games, but man is it slowly.    We are talking like, a minute or two per box if I can read the kanji.  If not, add however long it takes to go look that up.   This is where enthusiasm is important.  You have to be really amped to go "ah shit, I don't know what that says, hold on a second."

It's sort of like work.  Most people don't want to do that while playing a game, since it's supposed to be relaxing and fun.

Playing text heavy games is great practice. It's a bit like how it was for me when I was like 5, playing RPGs.

What f*cks me up is the spoken stuff.   I just catch bits and pieces and hope I comprehended enough of it to get by.  Fortunately, the voice over crap isn't vital most of the time.

Though, I already said myself I don't see the point in playing a story-centric game like an RPG or digital comic if you have no clue what the hell is going on.   It might be fun to pretend and make up a story as you fumble from town to town, but I see it as a waste of time.

since my Japanese is always improving, I will probably go revisit some of these games at a later time and see if I misread something, misunderstood something, or anything like that.    I will also probably *finish* more of the games.   Since it takes 90000 years to read the text, I don't exactly make record times, and have other stuff to do also. 

but again, the enthusiasm is important.  That's how I always approached dating sims.  I get pretty into that crap.   It ends up making up for shortcomings in the stories, by filling in gaps due to my rampant imagination. 

Honestly, if you're not a bit hyper/enthusiastic/imaginative, given the current library, I think even if you are a 100% Japanese human, you won't find much to get you going, either because there needs to be more of X, or because Y never showed up at all, or Z needed a bit more work.

You have to be enthusiastic as shit to excuse any shortcomings/derpery going on, and accept the fact that you're playing a machine that has less action games than buttons on the controller.

Kinda like SuperGrafx, only worse.

and if you're talking about the PCFXTOO reviews, I don't think I ever intended for those brief commentary/reviews to ever be taken seriously.  Most are hastily slapped together placeholders and were meant to be gone by now, because I thought I would have that stuff filled out and such way faster than I did.

But then, the tedious-ness set in.

and the "I am working on Atlantean" also set in.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2127 on: April 08, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »
Quote from: Arkha
lol, it's your show.   You do the leg work. 

+ many more paragraphs saying the same thing over and over.

Damn Arkhan I get it. And I was talking with SamIAm and his knowledge is quite impressive. Quite the wealth of information, actually. He provided me with a few games. I never in a million years would have thought of YOU specifically. I don't really pay a whole lot of attention to these forums so I don't know much about you. Anyway there's nothing I regret about the episode other than the too-oft mentions of language being a barrier. As I said, the episode is doing well, and it's better than any other PC-FX video out there as far as providing info on the system and multiple games all in one place. People mostly seem to enjoy it and I'm happy with its conclusions. The PC-FX isn't really truly special. Now something about it may appeal to you or something else about it may appeal to some other guy, but in the grand scheme of things... well it's the PC-FX. It's a footnote, but I'm glad I got to make an episode about it.

Next up, PC-8801.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:43:20 PM by Joe Redifer »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #2128 on: April 08, 2015, 09:58:47 PM »
I don't really pay a whole lot of attention to these forums so I don't know much about you.
We know, lol.

Though, I would've assumed you at least knew some crap about me.  I mean you did shit your pants and unfriend me when you realized we were friends on Facebook a few years back.   That was pretty funny.

Anyway there's nothing I regret about the episode other than the too-oft mentions of language being a barrier.
I wouldn't regret anything in the video, including the language barrier thing.  It's probably good that it's the emphasis.   This prevents people from buying it, realizing they done goofed, and complaining about the thing, only to try hocking it for a profit.

You did a good job of basically saying "check out all this cool shit you shouldn't bother playing because you can't really play it."

I guess me personally, since I am more interested in quirky, and weird things, I would liked to have seen mentions of the OTHER stuff. (The devkit, the Anime Freak crap, the homebrew stuff, the cancelled stuff, and all that).

I had intended on making videos/pages for that sort of thing for the PCFX page I've been halfassing for a few years now.

I sort of realized after enthusiastically diving into it in the name of PC-FX, that I really don't like making websites/pages.

or videos.

Honestly, while I don't like your videos because I generally just don't like watching informative-ish gaming videos, your videos are put together better than any other gaming videos.  So, high five on that.  Doing that stuff is tedious, irritating, and really just not my thing.  I would rather drip hotsauce on my pee hole.

The camera work is crisp looking and isn't wobbling like Michael J Fox is the one holding the camera.

The transitions aren't retarded. 

You don't sound like you have the microphone shoved down your throat.   I appreciate that last bit the most.   Why do some people sound like they are eating the microphone.

Oh, and you don't have the following:

1) A really stupid introduction that tries too hard.
2) Constant camera angles carefully aimed at your shelf of crap you think people on the internet care about.

If I was forced to watch serious gaming videos, I would hope I am forced to watch GameSack. 

Does anyone else find it sad that there aren't more gaming show things that aren't total balls?

EDIT: Are you really doing PC-8801 next? 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:37:32 PM by Arkhan »

shawnji

« Reply #2129 on: April 09, 2015, 09:39:57 AM »

Heh.  I figured it was something like that.  I'd heard him say that in other episodes before, but it stood out in this episode in particular because of the surrounding content.

Overall, I liked the episode, and I think it's hard to fault you guys for giving your honest impressions as Americans who are dealing with a language barrier.  Your general audience isn't exactly overflowing with bilinguals, and those of us who are bilingual have pretty much made up our minds about the system anyway.