Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72695 times)

esteban

Game Sack
« Reply #2925 on: June 27, 2016, 12:53:28 AM »
Butt Rock came in the mid-to-late 90's. Terminator CD was much too early to be proper Butt Rock. Of course there's no official definition of what Butt Rock actually is I don't think.

Sega CD Terminator = BUTT ROCK = highly derivative Muzak (not a typo) that dim-witted apes (human males) "listen to" (passively, with occasional, unthinking head nods and grimaces) whilst guzzling down Budweiser and talking about tits-n-ass.

:)

Surely you understand this...and it certainly isn't as controversial as condemning all "European music".

However, I will add that 99% of all Japanese RPGs and horse-racing simulations feature shite Muzak.

100% trĂ¼e storie.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:59:23 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #2926 on: June 27, 2016, 07:53:13 AM »
Well then Lords of Thunder = Butt Rock.

esteban

« Reply #2927 on: June 27, 2016, 09:57:36 AM »

It's slightly better than average butt rock.
  |    | 

sirhcman

« Reply #2928 on: June 27, 2016, 10:06:54 AM »

Speaking of butts, when will the fart return to the gamesack intro?

esteban

« Reply #2929 on: June 27, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »

Speaking of butts, when will the fart return to the gamesack intro?

Seriously!
  |    | 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2930 on: June 27, 2016, 12:50:59 PM »
Honestly it might come back for a one-off in some random episode but never permanently.

esteban

« Reply #2931 on: June 28, 2016, 12:10:50 AM »
Honestly it might come back for a one-off in some random episode but never permanently.

I know it was juvenile, but there was something charming about it, too.

|    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #2932 on: June 28, 2016, 03:39:30 AM »
I've never heard anything by Tim Follin that I've liked. He's good at manipulating sounds, but it's all beat-based European style music that feels so out of place in most games and I'm is not within my taste in general. There is some European game music that I like, but all of Follin's stuff is the sound equivalent of the visuals in one of those demo scene tech demos. I still find it impressive, but I'm more impressed by great compositions with poor sound usage.

Officially crazy = Black_Tiger

You may not like his stuff, but to say that they are not "great compositions" are fighting words.

Seriously.

I find it hilarious when folks try to dismiss entire swaths of utterly fantastic music by merely labeling it "European", whilst having an orgasm over equally banal tripe from a Japanese or American composer.

The Terminator (Sega CD) = BUTT ROCK (Tallarico)
Final Fantasy VII = lame, just like the tunes from the entire series.

I said that I don't like it, not that it's bad.

There are many PC Engine soundtracks with good or effective music, but the sound aren't special or are crude by PCE standards.

The only reason I use a description like "European" is because I have the same reaction and feelings when listening to and hearing so many European games soundtracks from the 8 and 16-bit generation and European games seem to most often features soundtracks which felt completely out of place in their games. I also don't like arpeggio in general, but the odd time I do it's been in Japanese games.

Whether anyone likes or dislikes the music is idependent of all that. When North American and Japanese composers produce similar music and sounds that give me the same feeling, it also makes me think of European games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

TDIRunner

« Reply #2933 on: June 28, 2016, 04:06:22 AM »
I really enjoyed the most recent video.  Nice to see some more Tomb Raider gameplay.  One of my favorite game series of all time.  The original is still in my top ten games of all time (and I'm in the middle of another play through - just made it to the last level last night).
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

esadajr

« Reply #2934 on: June 28, 2016, 09:36:52 AM »
someone should reboot Greendog.
Gaming since 1985

NightWolve

« Reply #2935 on: June 28, 2016, 05:22:05 PM »

I got to watch this episode last week and was pleased to see Joe appreciated the Gate of Thunder soundtrack as much as I did. Almost all the tracks were recorded to tape for listening in my car (along with Ys and some FF) BITD which I've mentioned around here in the past.

If I could do Youtube videos, this comes very close to the kind of tribute I would've liked to have done for this game. Nice touch in pointing out how a Duran Duran member and his friend Nick Wood were behind this "Syn Sound Design" company and what led to one of the greatest soundtracks in videogame history! It's too bad they didn't do more soundtracks for videogames though!

I actually shared Gate of Thunder with at least one neighbor/friend a few years after I bought my Turbo Duo in the late 90's. In knowing that system was an underdog, I wanted it to get a bit more love outside of myself. Anyway, it's cool these games live on past their plastic prisons and can be obtained for all nowadays.

Bonknuts

« Reply #2936 on: June 28, 2016, 05:35:36 PM »
someone should reboot Greendog.
I HATED that game.

esteban

Game Sack
« Reply #2937 on: June 30, 2016, 03:37:15 AM »
I've never heard anything by Tim Follin that I've liked. He's good at manipulating sounds, but it's all beat-based European style music that feels so out of place in most games and I'm is not within my taste in general. There is some European game music that I like, but all of Follin's stuff is the sound equivalent of the visuals in one of those demo scene tech demos. I still find it impressive, but I'm more impressed by great compositions with poor sound usage.

Officially crazy = Black_Tiger

You may not like his stuff, but to say that they are not "great compositions" are fighting words.

Seriously.

I find it hilarious when folks try to dismiss entire swaths of utterly fantastic music by merely labeling it "European", whilst having an orgasm over equally banal tripe from a Japanese or American composer.

The Terminator (Sega CD) = BUTT ROCK (Tallarico)
Final Fantasy VII = lame, just like the tunes from the entire series.

I said that I don't like it, not that it's bad.

There are many PC Engine soundtracks with good or effective music, but the sound aren't special or are crude by PCE standards.

The only reason I use a description like "European" is because I have the same reaction and feelings when listening to and hearing so many European games soundtracks from the 8 and 16-bit generation and European games seem to most often features soundtracks which felt completely out of place in their games. I also don't like arpeggio in general, but the odd time I do it's been in Japanese games.

Whether anyone likes or dislikes the music is idependent of all that. When North American and Japanese composers produce similar music and sounds that give me the same feeling, it also makes me think of European games.

What a reasonable, logical response to my incendiary trolling. 

Anyway, since I still want to start a fight, I will simply point out that your ANTI-ARPEGGIO stance = UNACCEPTABLE.

I am too lazy to go into a rant now, but I know I must have some old rant I can copy-n-paste from years ago.

Ok.

Seriously, though, I want to be your therapist and try to understand where your Arpeggio Phobia came from. Surely, some traumatic gaming event has been repressed.

PM me.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:40:34 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Gentlegamer

« Reply #2938 on: June 30, 2016, 04:37:49 AM »
I'm ignorant, is arpeggio the type of music common in C=64 games?

esteban

Game Sack
« Reply #2939 on: June 30, 2016, 09:03:05 AM »
I'm ignorant, is arpeggio the type of music common in C=64 games?

It's a technique that composers/musicians can use...sadly the ANTARP coalition has been spreading FUD about arpeggios in general (and in relation to C64/SID in particular)...

In case you didn't realize, THIS IS WAR.

Not really. I was just trying to mess with B_T and the rest of the ANTARP coalition.
  |    |