Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 72704 times)

Winniez

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #3345 on: March 27, 2018, 09:33:21 AM »
Oh and I'll have the MSX soon so I was wondering Ark (or anyone that would know) do I need a voltage converter of any kind or am I good to go? I haven't had anything Japanese that's this old so I just wanted to make sure.

You should be ok in the North America but in the long run I would go with a transformer, just to be safe.

Winniez

« Reply #3346 on: March 27, 2018, 09:37:59 AM »
Lynx indeed has a suprisingly strong library, relatively speaking. With Jaguar I'm not so sure, can't think of a single game to get the Jaguar for. Id ports are great though, but I would never want to play those games on anything other than PC. The Jag has some good stuff but there are just better ways to play those games.

crazydean

« Reply #3347 on: March 27, 2018, 10:19:32 AM »
Yup, totally serious.  There's plenty of good stuff on both systems, and the Lynx especially had a great library.  The Lynx has easily the best ratio of great games to shit game of any console I've played.  It has dozens of fantastic arcade ports and some nice exclusives.  There are a handful of lousy games for it, but by and large it's a great handheld, was way ahead of its time, and deserved to succeed much better than it did.

Lol, somebody had a Lynx growing up.

It's funny to see how much nostalgia affects someone's perspective. If you hold a NES vs 7800 poll on Atari Age, the 7800 wins hands down, but go literally anywhere else and post that same poll. I guarantee the 7800 loses every single time. For someone who isn't a fan of either, it's easy to see which console was superior, but those nostalgia glasses are awful rosy.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Pfloydguy2

« Reply #3348 on: March 28, 2018, 02:09:03 AM »

It's funny to see how much nostalgia affects someone's perspective. If you hold a NES vs 7800 poll on Atari Age, the 7800 wins hands down, but go literally anywhere else and post that same poll. I guarantee the 7800 loses every single time. For someone who isn't a fan of either, it's easy to see which console was superior, but those nostalgia glasses are awful rosy.
There's really no defense against this argument.  No matter what I say about the Lynx, you could always attribute it to nostalgia.  And there's no way to prove you wrong, just like you can't prove I'm blinded by nostalgia.  But many people who actually have played the Lynx come away from it impressed and wondering why it didn't catch on.  Many of the games are consistently well-reviewed.  And it still has a significant fanbase today, with new games being released every year.

As far as the 7800 vs NES, there's plenty of love for the NES at AtariAge.  I don't go to the 7800 portion of the forum, but I have been a member of AtariAge for many years and I've never noticed any unusual feelings toward the NES.

Pfloydguy2

« Reply #3349 on: March 28, 2018, 02:17:26 AM »
Just like the Turbo in the US?

It didn't do that well in NA, true, but it's not really the same thing.  The Jag and Lynx didn't have a highly successful run in JP.
It's not the same thing, no.  But I think the comparison to the Turbo's performance in the West is absolutely relevant.  Clearly the Turbo is a good system with lots of good software.  It failed in the West due to problems unrelated to the quality of the console and games.  Why is it such a stretch to say the same phenomenon is possible with other platforms?

To be clear, I'm not trying to argue that the Jaguar is a great system.  It had potential, but a ton of terrible games and a lack of enough good ones sunk its chances.  It did have good games and even a few great ones, but it had some serious issues.  My issue with the Jaguar on Game Sack is that they don't even give the good games a chance. 

The Lynx really was a great system though.  It didn't catch on, and Atari's marketing for it was terrible, but when we look at it retrospectively we need to look at the games as they are/were.  Terrible marketing isn't something we should consider when we rate a game - we just rate the game on its own merits.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3350 on: March 28, 2018, 02:18:49 AM »

There's really no defense against this argument.  No matter what I say about the Lynx, you could always attribute it to nostalgia.  And there's no way to prove you wrong, just like you can't prove I'm blinded by nostalgia.  But many people who actually have played the Lynx come away from it impressed and wondering why it didn't catch on.  Many of the games are consistently well-reviewed.  And it still has a significant fanbase today, with new games being released every year.

As far as the 7800 vs NES, there's plenty of love for the NES at AtariAge.  I don't go to the 7800 portion of the forum, but I have been a member of AtariAge for many years and I've never noticed any unusual feelings toward the NES.

I can see the point on nostalgia or memories from gamings past being an opinion altering factor, but it also works both ways. I always grew up thinking "why on earth would anyone play the Atari Jag?" because I made, what I considered a mistake, and purchased one on clearance with a handful of games and basically wrote it off as a complete failure.  But now, in my wise old age, I have been randomly snatching up single Jag games every few months and shockingly enjoying it!  I picked up Ultra Vortek and Ruiner Pinball recently and actually find them pretty awesome!

As for the Lynx, I don't know exactly how someone can deny that it has a pretty good library of games. Especially when you play them side by side with Game Gear or GameBoy games.  I still enjoy playing titles like California Games (best version IMO), Dracula, Batman Returns, and even the port of Slime World which I think is better than the Genesis port. It was full of great games!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 02:25:18 AM by _joshuaTurbo »

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #3351 on: March 28, 2018, 09:19:56 AM »

I can see the point on nostalgia or memories from gamings past being an opinion altering factor, but it also works both ways. I always grew up thinking "why on earth would anyone play the Atari Jag?" because I made, what I considered a mistake, and purchased one on clearance with a handful of games and basically wrote it off as a complete failure.  But now, in my wise old age, I have been randomly snatching up single Jag games every few months and shockingly enjoying it!  I picked up Ultra Vortek and Ruiner Pinball recently and actually find them pretty awesome!

As for the Lynx, I don't know exactly how someone can deny that it has a pretty good library of games. Especially when you play them side by side with Game Gear or GameBoy games.  I still enjoy playing titles like California Games (best version IMO), Dracula, Batman Returns, and even the port of Slime World which I think is better than the Genesis port. It was full of great games!
Lynx Slime World is the best version hands down. Turbo Express excluded,  I also agree that the Lynx was the best handheld for the time.

Gypsy

« Reply #3352 on: March 28, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »
Now I gotta watch the Jag and Lynx episodes to see how funny they are. :p

nopepper

« Reply #3353 on: March 28, 2018, 03:29:14 PM »
The problem with the Lynx is more with the hardware than it's games. Sure, it was cool upon release, but even then, it was bulky and the awful battery life, along with it's price, didn't do it any favors. I hope to one day own another one, but have it modded, as it really is powerful hardware that can do some impressive stuff for it's time, and has a lot of fun games.

I've never had the Jaguar, so can't comment much there, but I remember always thinking that I'd rather wait for real next gen hardware than get one. There was nothing exciting about it, and even today, when I have pretty much every console ever released (sans current gen), there is nothing that makes me feel like I'm missing out.

In any case, boycotting a show, just because they don't share your same opinions seems very obtuse to me. IMO Game Sack is just fun, and not meant as a definitive source for anything. It's just a couple of relatable nerds talking about games...no need to take it more serious than that.

Pfloydguy2

« Reply #3354 on: March 28, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
In any case, boycotting a show, just because they don't share your same opinions seems very obtuse to me. IMO Game Sack is just fun, and not meant as a definitive source for anything. It's just a couple of relatable nerds talking about games...no need to take it more serious than that.
If I boycotted every show that presented a difference of opinion, I suppose you could call me obtuse.  But this is a little different.  I stopped watching one show because of its hosts' repeatedly ignorant views.  It's not like I'm going to run out of the room the next time I see somebody watching Game Sack.  It's just that there are better sources for retro gaming YouTube channels out there.

nopepper

« Reply #3355 on: March 28, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
I personally wouldn't make any parallel between the Turbo and Jaguar. During the dawn of 16 bit, the decision between Genesis or Turbo was a tough one...heck, I remember the Turbo just having more (good) games to begin with, but the future of the Genesis seemed more promising (even with Turbo CD on the horizon). Hardware wise, it was close, with each system having its own strengths and weaknesses, but being somewhat comparable.

All of my serious gamer friends at the time wanted one as well, so if we had been rich, we would've gotten both. Being poor teenagers, you had to make those choices... Anyway, Sega won that battle due to already having some brand recognition and once sports games with big names started to come out( and later, with Sonic and SNES). It wasn't due to bad hardware, lack of killer apps, complete gamer apathy, etc.

Basically, even with the modest sales numbers, the Turbo wasn't a complete failure in the West. It was the victim of a much smaller user base of serious gamers having to make decisions in order to move to next gen. Younger kids stayed with Nintendo, while most older kids/adults decided to go with Sega (or hold on for SNES).

The Jaguar came out and immediately seemed like a step down from all other next gen systems, either already out or in the pipeline. Even at the cheaper price, it was obvious that it was going to fail. No killer app, no software that showed off the hardware, an unappealing, backward thinking controller, lack of 3rd party support and excitement. You name an area, and the Jaguar was underwhelming in that front.

The Jaguar might be cool if you like esoteric consoles, might have a lot of untapped potential, heck, it might have some good games and we should all add it to our collections. But it was a failure, perhaps one of the biggest in console history. The Turbo, besides having underwhelming sales numbers in the US, was not a failure in any way, shape or form.

crazydean

« Reply #3356 on: March 28, 2018, 04:32:06 PM »
If I boycotted every show that presented a difference of opinion, I suppose you could call me obtuse.  But this is a little different.  I stopped watching one show because of its hosts' repeatedly ignorant views.  It's not like I'm going to run out of the room the next time I see somebody watching Game Sack.  It's just that there are better sources for retro gaming YouTube channels out there.

Agreed. That Metal Jesus Rocks is much more informative than Game Sack.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3357 on: March 29, 2018, 07:57:33 AM »

Agreed. That Metal Jesus Rocks is much more informative than Game Sack.

you HAVE to be trolling here.  Well done.

Also, you guys did know that GameSack initially started as a mockery of other people's Youtube review shows?  It just so happens that Joe's GameSack videos got way more attention than the videos he actually worked hard on! it caught on, Joe kept doing them and here we are... lol

Winniez

« Reply #3358 on: March 30, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »
In general I do like Gamesack, good production values and just two blokes having a fun banter about games. And they actually dare to have opinions, sometimes even against the general consensus. Could do without the game value references though.

Something like Metal Jesus feels really bland to me, everything is always so awesome and cool. Can't stand the hidden gem thing either. I have nothing against the guy but the channel is just not for me.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:26:57 AM by Winniez »

nopepper

« Reply #3359 on: March 30, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
Metal Jesus has actually gotten a lot better once he started bringing in guests that at least knew a little bit about what they are talking about. He has also gotten better in front of the camera, so I don't immediately skip his videos when they autoplay like  I used to do when I just couldn't bear his awkwardness and general ignorance towards console gaming.

It is a channel geared more towards collectors, so I don't relate to most of those peeps very much, but it has definitely gotten more likeable recently.