Author Topic: AVGN + NES Punk video  (Read 679 times)

Mathius

Re: AVGN + NES Punk video
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »
I doubt that really. He seems to love the hobby as much as the next retro gamer. Hell he even has a Neo Geo and most of the 80s era computers! There is a lot James Rolfe in the Nerd, and everyone has seen those home videos of young James roaring in frustration at the TV like we all did back then. The difference is the Nerd makes more poopie jokes. :)

Yeah but sometimes I get the feeling he has a ton of stuff not because he's genuinely interested or knows how to use it (the old computers), but because he has money falling out of his ass or it was donated to him.

The largest collection he has is the Nintendo stuff.  The rest seems kind of iffy.

There may be a little truth to that, but I get the impression that Mr. Rolph had at least a little curiosity towards those systems he read about in mags growing up. That's what happened to me. I was primarily a NES, Genesis/Sega CD, SNES kind of guy until I made enough money to afford a computer and internet connection, and then I started getting the things that I read about and always wanted. I am sure Rolph, like me, drooled over pics of PC Engine and Neo Geo games in EGM during study hall hee hee. :)

F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
Yeah.  I think he just buys tons of old shit and screws with it when he can.  Most old shit sucks.  Like the odyssey.  and the intellivision.

You only get those just because you see one cheap and want to laugh at the woodgrain era
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »
Of course he wants to do the movie, but it's just a project of many.  For awhile he was doing
almost nothing but AVGN and he clearly burned out on it.  Doing a massive long term project
like a movie is probably a breath of fresh air.

There was one vid (Turtles, not AVGN) where he was messing with the C64 and outright said he has no idea
how to run the tape drive (he's better off anyways).

Sure he probably has a general interest, but all his NeoGeo games for example cost $10 or less.  
Is he curious about the Neo? Probably.  Will he give it the same attention he does to the NES?
Never gonna happen.

It's interesting to see people's reactions to just how one displays what they got.  For example people seem
to be amazed by a giant wall of shit (not just him, but lots of those "youtube pro-reviewers") just because it's
in their faces.   Like my LaserActive games are all in a cardboard box, when people come over, they don't even
see them.  If I made some kinda "holly shit look!" display with them, people might actually care. lol
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:25:52 PM by SuperDeadite »
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 10:29:26 PM »
Yeah.  I think he just buys tons of old shit and screws with it when he can.  Most old shit sucks.  Like the odyssey.  and the intellivision.

You only get those just because you see one cheap and want to laugh at the woodgrain era

I don't think he "buys it" either. From my understanding most of that stuff is/was donated to him via fans.
--DragonmasterDan

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 12:41:29 AM »

Sure he probably has a general interest, but all his NeoGeo games for example cost $10 or less. 
Is he curious about the Neo? Probably.  Will he give it the same attention he does to the NES?
Never gonna happen.

It's interesting to see people's reactions to just how one displays what they got.  For example people seem
to be amazed by a giant wall of shit (not just him, but lots of those "youtube pro-reviewers") just because it's
in their faces.   Like my LaserActive games are all in a cardboard box, when people come over, they don't even
see them.  If I made some kinda "holly shit look!" display with them, people might actually care. lol

In the US, I've never seen a 10.00 Neo-Geo AES game, ever. At least once you take into account shipping and such, the cheapest I've ever got an AES game was 20.00.  I once won an auction for a Neo-Geo game for 1 cent. But a certain ebay seller in Japan decided not to sell me the product even after winning the auction. Obviously he has a bunch of cheapees, but people are going to be a lot less likely to donate Mark of the Wolves or Metal Slug than they are extra copies of Samurai Shodown or NAM.
--DragonmasterDan

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 01:36:44 AM »
The giant wall-o-crap in reviewers videos is completely annoying.

My stuffs all over the place in various sections.  It's not arranged for other people to drop their pants and touch themselves to.

I should do reviews and put a giant wall of glass unicorns and clowns behind me.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 01:43:13 AM »
The giant wall-o-crap in reviewers videos is completely annoying.

My stuffs all over the place in various sections.  It's not arranged for other people to drop their pants and touch themselves to.

I should do reviews and put a giant wall of glass unicorns and clowns behind me.

I tried to build a wall of games, it just became a giant mess. The vast majority of my stuff is in boxes. If I had enough room to more properly display stuff I would.
--DragonmasterDan

SuperDeadite

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 01:48:45 AM »

Is he curious about the Neo? Probably.  Will he give it the same attention he does to the NES?
Never gonna happen.

In the US, I've never seen a 10.00 Neo-Geo AES game, ever. At least once you take into account shipping and such, the cheapest I've ever got an AES game was 20.00.  I once won an auction for a Neo-Geo game for 1 cent. But a certain ebay seller in Japan decided not to sell me the product even after winning the auction. Obviously he has a bunch of cheapees, but people are going to be a lot less likely to donate Mark of the Wolves or Metal Slug than they are extra copies of Samurai Shodown or NAM.

Let me try and rephrase this since I wrote that post a bit drunk.  In his older vids he went on about games he grew up with, games he played through years ago.  All from his own real feelings, exaggerated of course, but there was heart behind what he did.  But now he buys/gets donations of piles of crap he's never seen before.  The personalization is totally gone, it's no better then downloading a ROM and bitching about it.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 02:38:32 AM »
He went from doing his own hated games, to taking requests from a bunch of mouth breathers on screwattack.com.

The Hydlide video pisses me off.

The games not hard, its not confusing. Its the easiest game on the Nintendon't.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 02:42:16 AM »
He went from doing his own hated games, to taking requests from a bunch of mouth breathers on screwattack.com.

The Hydlide video pisses me off.

The games not hard, its not confusing. Its the easiest game on the Nintendon't.

Dude Zelda is SO much more clear in telling you what to do then Hydlide.  Just stare at the
gold cart and the game tells all secrets.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 02:50:57 AM »

Dude Zelda is SO much more clear in telling you what to do then Hydlide.  Just stare at the
gold cart and the game tells all secrets.

One pet peeve of mine about his videos is his expectation that games tell you exactly what to do. Part of the fun of old 8 and 16-bit games was exploring and figuring things out through trial and error. The fact that I was able to beat games like Zelda, Castlevania II, Zelda II as a child with no strategy guides to help me, tells me that he was entirely missing the point. Part of the fun of those games is to explore and experiment, if the games told you in plain English exactly what to do it wouldn't be as fun.
--DragonmasterDan

SuperDeadite

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 02:59:41 AM »
Well depends on the game a bit.  StarTropics was exploration done amazingly well. 
It took me like 2 weeks to find that stupid grave you have to enter, but I knew I had
to do something there at least.

Now Metroid on the other hand, ugh.  So many rooms that look exactly the same, and
paths that contain nothing at all, that type of exploration I don't care for.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 03:07:55 AM »
Now Metroid on the other hand, ugh.  So many rooms that look exactly the same, and
paths that contain nothing at all, that type of exploration I don't care for.

It's not that they look the same.  They ARE the same. 

I screwed with Metroid alot back in the day (including the ROM). 

You change one room, and all the rooms that look like it change also! :D

I hate when game reviewers complain about the game mechanics and their lack of understanding them.

Hydlide is my favorite complaint.

I RUN INTO THE SLIME AND DIE THIS GAME SUCKS ITS COMPLETELY RANDOM YOU JUST DIE . YOU NEVER KNOW IF YOULL BE OK.

Some goon actually said that on AtariAge, and I made a ghetto Fab hydlide tutorial to shut him up.  It's on youtube. Look for Arkhan's ghetto fab hydlide tutorial.

the instruction book tells you exactly how to play that game.  It even has hints about what all the items do.

The game itself is so frigging tiny that if you can't piece the solution together in a few hours, you probably need to wear a helmet when you go outside.  Its barely any bigger than Adventure for Atari2600.

Aside from the grinding, the actual traversing of the game, grabbing the items, and getting to the end takes about 5 minutes.  If you don't know what the items do, it shouldn't take long to figure it out considering there are hardly any rooms/places to go.

Once you know what to grind, and when, you can plow through leveling yourself up.  Attacking is easy.  Run behind them and press the button and slam into them. Oh god, so hard!

Instruction books.  They give instructions.  Most people apparently don't read them.

In the excuse of "Oh, I rented it":  You're out a few bucks, go find the manual next time
in the excuse of "Oh, I got it used": It's not T&E Soft's fault you didn't get the manual.  It'd be like blaming Lord British because your copy of Ultima V didn't come with the books so you have NFI how to use the magic in the game. 

It's 2011 though! We can get all these manuals and references that came with these games online.  So, all the complainers can DIAF.

UglyJoe

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 03:23:11 AM »
Instruction books.  They give instructions.  Most people apparently don't read them.

This.  Seriously.  I hate seeing games get ripped because the player is too stupid to google up the instruction manual.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 04:01:42 AM »

This.  Seriously.  I hate seeing games get ripped because the player is too stupid to google up the instruction manual.

Vimm.net has friggin scans of manuals!

TONS of them.  Even Hydlide!

and gamefaqs.  I don't get why people don't find the how-to-play stuff.