Author Topic: WiiMednafen  (Read 7434 times)

Burnt Lasagna

WiiMednafen
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »
Finally, someone has made a port of mednafen (an acronym for "My Emulator Doesn't Need A Frickin' Excellent Name.") for the Wii, courtesy of Raz0red.

WiiMednafen is a partial port of the Mednafen emulator.

Emulators supported:

GameBoy/GameBoy Color
    GameBoy Advance
    Game Gear
    Lynx
    Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
    Neo Geo Pocket
    PC Engine (CD)/TurboGrafx 16 (CD)/SuperGrafx (Fast version)
    PC-FX
    Sega Master System
    Virtual Boy
    WonderSwan

It should be noted that the Virtual Boy emulation included with this emulator is much improved over WiirtualBoy. Most games now run at 100% speed without frame skipping. These improvements are due entirely to Ryphecha (Mednafen) who optimized the core emulation code in addition to eliminating idle loops on a per game basis. 

As you can tell Mednafen is sort of a Swiss army knight emulator, capable of emulating a variety of different systems.   
Most of the emulators included in WiiMednafen have already been done before on the Wii but were this emulator shines the most is the very solid TurboGrafx 16/CD section of the emulator, which has never been done quite right before on the Wii.

You can check out a video of the emulator running  here.

I'm very excited to see how this develops over time, spatially the PC-FX section that runs very slow at the moment.

You can download WiiMednafen here.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMednafen

So anyone here use their Wii for homebrew reasons? If not then this is defiantly a good enough reason to merit its use :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:03:39 AM by Burnt Lasagna »
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

nodtveidt

Re: WiiMednafen
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:15:26 AM »
Mednafen is one of the finest PC Engine emulators there are. Only Ootake is as good.

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »
Mednafen is one of the finest PC Engine emulators there are. Only Ootake is as good.
No contest really.
All the TG16/CD games that I have tested have all worked perfectly or with very minor problems but I’m sure they have something to do with the port.

nodtveidt

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
I've never had a single problem either. I also rely on Mednafen for testing homebrew.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »
Last time I tried to use Mednafen I gave up because it required some 1970s-style command line bullshit. Do I still need a keyboard to use this?

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 03:48:43 PM »
Keep in mind I'm talking about the recent Wii port Mednafen and yeah the PC version is still a command line based program but there is a third party GUI that you can download, it's missing some features so you still have to use the command prompt if you want to go farther then hucard games. 

nat

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 06:00:34 PM »
Last time I tried to use Mednafen I gave up because it required some 1970s-style command line bullshit. Do I still need a keyboard to use this?

I know you own a Mac as well, so I have a question. How were you actually able to download and install it? Does it even exist?

When I tried, I was told I had to install some useless "Darwin Ports" program in order to even download it, which is complete and total bullshit in itself, but that's not even the worst of it.

The site linked as "Darwin Ports" from mednafen's own webpage apparently doesn't even exist anymore, and when I did a little digging I learned the so-called "Darwin Ports" was actually a fake (for what purpose, I have no idea).

At this point, I laughed to myself ruefully at the absurdity of the situation and never looked back. Apparently having a simple link on the mednafen website to download the Mac executable is too difficult for them to handle.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:31:39 PM by nat »

nodtveidt

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »
f*ck teh Mac.

geise

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 02:32:30 AM »
How is the sound emulation for the pc-engine hucard games?  Wiiengine and the Hu-Go ports had shitty sound emulation on the Wii.  Quite a bit of sound was missing from both of those emulators.

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 02:43:24 AM »
How is the sound emulation for the pc-engine hucard games?  Wiiengine and the Hu-Go ports had shitty sound emulation on the Wii.  Quite a bit of sound was missing from both of those emulators.
I've only tested one Hucard game and that's Magical Chase but from that and what other people have said the sound emulation is way better then Wiiengine or Hu-Go GX combined.     
As I said earlier this is essentially perfect for Hucard/CD games.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:49:51 AM by Burnt Lasagna »

geise

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 03:15:45 AM »
Nice!  Thanks for sharing the info Burnt.  :D

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 07:05:18 AM »
Command line is fine if you're doing work (Programming), but if you want games, GUIs are better. 

Not many people want to manually edited a textfile for config, or refer to a manual and on-screen prompts to set up a controller..
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 07:32:54 AM »
Not many people want to manually edited a textfile for config, or refer to a manual and on-screen prompts to set up a controller..
I use Ootake on my PC for this very reason, even though mednafen is better in some ways.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »

I know you own a Mac as well, so I have a question. How were you actually able to download and install it? Does it even exist?

I actually don't remember if I was trying and failing to get the Windows or OSX version running. I think I got it to actually run, I just didn't actually get it to play a game.

I know a lot of stuff gets ported to certain UNIX/Linux platforms and can then run in OSX if specific frameworks are installed. Usually though this is nearly as difficult as just porting it outright. That shit never works for people who can...like...remember what color the sky is, or describe the sexual organs of another person.

Leaving the command-line stupidity asside (some people like to pretend they were in the movie Hackers before they play Bonk, I can accept that) another thing that pisses me off about PCE emus is how HuCards and CDs are treated separately. This is just annoying bullshit. My Duo R plays everything but SHu Cards. It has a power button and a door switch. Why the f*ck are PCE emulators so much more complicated than this? SNES9x is faultlessly idiot-proof and has been for a decade. Same for Genesis, Neo Geo, CPS. Even systems like PS1, N64, and Taito Type X are light years beyond PCE in usability. I don't get it.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 01:58:51 PM »
Ootake is your friend.

Its as usable as Snes9x
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.