Author Topic: Rondo of Blood English Patch (PSP to TurboGrafx-CD).  (Read 31368 times)

Keith Courage

Re: Rondo of Blood PSP dub for PC-Engine.
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
I agree, it does look kind of crappy

dairugger

« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »
It can be hard to edit?  So.......you're saying there's a chance!!  YEAAAHHH!! :D
As I said, I was using a save state, not the game itself. So I still don't know how to edit it in the game's memory, but the chance of it happening is not completely out of the question.

I'm also not that big of fan of the PSP's title screen, it looks kinda of cheap to me. What do you guys think?
(PSP)

(PCE-CD)

It looks awful. I much prefer the original title screen.

Djangoo2

« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »
I think the title screen should be in English, but just not the PSP version. Can't you find someone to design you a new version? I'd personally go with Dracula X for the red and Rondo of Blood beneath.

MotherGunner

« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
Man, this is looking so good.  I wish we could at a minimum get copies of these pressed.  (Not too worried about the artwork). 

This would ease my mind about not playing a CD-R...  =/
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

dairugger

« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »
I think the title screen should be in English, but just not the PSP version. Can't you find someone to design you a new version? I'd personally go with Dracula X for the red and Rondo of Blood beneath.

Dont listen to him. ;-)

Black Tiger

« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2011, 02:00:38 AM »
I'm also not that big of fan of the PSP's title screen, it looks kinda of cheap to me. What do you guys think?
(PSP)

I'm not a fan of the name "Castlevania" in general. Even when the first game came out it made the game sound like a joke. In the past, when I made English versions of the logo, I recreated the font and presented it the same as it is in the PCE version, with italic red gradient font and white text on the blue sign.

How about a faithful recreation that says:

Akumajo Dracula X
Rondo of Blood
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2011, 03:11:48 AM »
How about a faithful recreation that says:

Akumajo Dracula X
Rondo of Blood
If I were to change the title screen I would keep the Castlevania part, since that is the official name for the series in English.

Having the Akumajō Dracula X would just confuse people who are not familiar with the Japanese name. (which translates into  Devil's Castle Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2011, 03:29:17 AM »
Just make sure you fix the 'start' button.  That's an automatic fail.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

spenoza

« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2011, 11:09:01 AM »
I think simply "Dracula X: Rondo of Blood" would be sufficient. No point in belaboring a literal translation.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

dairugger

« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2011, 12:52:44 PM »
I think simply "Dracula X: Rondo of Blood" would be sufficient. No point in belaboring a literal translation.

here here!, its almost perfect as is.

Black Tiger

« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »
I suggested the PSP logo, in case it would need to be directly ported across in order to have a different sized and colored sprite.

If it is possible to use different sizes/quantity, with alternate palletes and positions and there is any room left in the RAM/CD load space, blah, blah, blah...

Here are some logos in 16 color (including the invisible color) PC Engine graphics:

If anything like this is possible and you'd like to go with a variation of one of the single logos, I can put together a smaller version of the missing title. But I'll hold off on working on any more in the meantime. Or if the combo is doable and desirable, that would be very cool.

These logos are from the time Rondo of Blood was current and reflect what Konami was doing for in-game Westernized Castlevania titles at the time. They've been enhanced shading-wise over what straight ports would look like in PC Engine colors, while also using a few less colors overall, in order to bring them within single sprite palettes.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

arromdee

« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »
I'm generally of the belief that translations should just translate enough for the user to know what was said.  So I prefer the original audio with subtitles (though in this case I'd imagine hacking subtitles in would be hard).  For logos, assuming we translate them at all, translate them literally, so this should say some variation of "Dracula X: Rondo of Blood".

Or to put it another way, I want it to be as if I was sitting in Japan playing this in Japanese, except I shouldn't actually have to know Japanese.  Someone playing this in Japan would see Dracula X, not Castlevania.

dairugger

« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
I'm generally of the belief that translations should just translate enough for the user to know what was said.  So I prefer the original audio with subtitles (though in this case I'd imagine hacking subtitles in would be hard).  For logos, assuming we translate them at all, translate them literally, so this should say some variation of "Dracula X: Rondo of Blood".

Or to put it another way, I want it to be as if I was sitting in Japan playing this in Japanese, except I shouldn't actually have to know Japanese.  Someone playing this in Japan would see Dracula X, not Castlevania.

This. although i actually like dubs.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2011, 02:56:13 PM »
As cheesy as it is, I'm so used to the name, that I would personally prefer Castlevania as the main name.  It's kinda like how cheesy Superman, Wonder Woman, Power Man, Ant Man, etc. are, but I'm so used to those names, that they don't sound cheesy.  If they were to be created now, yeah, Superman is gonna sound extra cheese, but growing up with it(not that I'm a fan, he's too much of a boy scout) I'm totally used to the name.

dairugger

« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »
while i love the castlevania series, Dracula X is so badass. As a kid looking through import mags this title screen was classy, atmospheric, and awesome!