Author Topic: Zeroigar translation, from the intro  (Read 2269 times)

SamIAm

Re: Zeroigar translation, from the intro
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 03:20:32 AM »
So guys, here's a question I've thought of recently:

Can you think of any other shooter on any other system, ever, that has the same production values put into its animated cutscenes as Zeroigar? I don't mean system-animated stuff like Gate of Thunder's (totally bitchin') intro. I mean FMV anime produced by a dedicated anime studio using what you might call traditional animation.

Radiant Silvergun on the Saturn has nice opening and ending scenes, but watch them back-to-back against Zeroigar, and they look very simple and maybe a little drab. I've played a boatload of Saturn shooters, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head that have anime that is really even in the same league as Zeroigar. I'd be willing to learn if such a game exists, though, on the Saturn or otherwise.

I ask this in part because I've been watching these cutscenes over and over again for subtitling and continue to be impressed by them, and in part because when the translation is done, I'd like to lay something down like "best anime to grace any shmup in history" to get people all the more interested in it.

The subtitles are done, by the way. At least the writing and the line-timing part is done. We just need clean rips to put them on and a nice reinsertion for them to work.

KiddoCabbusses

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »
After the subtitles are put in, how difficult would translating in-game content such as the menus and text dialog be?

SamIAm

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »
It shouldn't be too difficult. Perhaps I'm speaking too soon, but I can't imagine that those little pieces of text are compressed and/or stored in a really funky way. Finding where they are in the image may be a bit challenging, but changing them may be easy. I suspect that the game is using a system font, and I think the system font includes the alphabet. If that's all true, then this would be the kind of thing even a beginner hacker could tackle.

Either way, I'm hoping that Esperknight is up for getting at least the title-screen options, the in-game dialogue, and the inter-stage text hacked into English. This is kind of on his back-burner, so again, I invite any aspiring hacker to take a look if you're interested.

The real challenge is the Sakuraigar mode. For those who don't know, if you beat the normal game on high-difficulty, you get access to a kind of parody mode where you get to play as Sakura, the green-haired girl from the animations in the main game.

The trouble is that in between each stage in this mode are story segments that are NOT full-motion-video. They're bitmap slideshows, with no text, that have voice-overs. On one hand, the number of people who take the time to get this far is going to be very few, but on the other hand, the parody mode is actually quite an addition and is pretty funny. The only way we'll translate it, though, is if it's possible to code some kind of subtitling program. Actually, because of how simple the slideshows are, this might be the perfect opportunity to test the viability of a such a thing in general. We'll see, though.

filler

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
I want congratulate you on the subtitles. This is looking excellent. If I may make two suggestions, I think you mean "wielding" not "yielding". Also I'd say both the font and the stroke could probably be 1pt smaller. The animation looks great in this and it seems like a very cool setting for a shooter. In fact I can't think of another shooter that has as much set-up for an actual story and a rich world, though I don't play a lot of shooters. The closest I can think of are things already based on an animated story like the Macross shooters.

EDIT: Because it relates to your question and since I mentioned it, here is a video of Macross DYRL on the PSX: It's probably cheating if the FMVs come from a theatrical movie. I don't know if new FMVs were made for the game or not.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:35:48 PM by filler »

SamIAm

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 12:55:01 AM »
Damn, I'm retarded. Thanks for catching and telling me about that mistake. It reminds me that I'll need to have everything proofread a few times before we go final. :)

I agree about the font, but I'm not going to sweat trying to figure out exactly which font and font size to use until I can do some tests. Real hardware, a real TV, and the effects of the lossy encoding are all going to have an effect on things. I'd also like to try seeing what it looks like to scoot the image up several pixels (there's essentially black bar at the top and bottom) and maybe let the bottom line of subtitles fall entirely in black space. It's all worth a shot.

Apparently DYRL contains mostly footage from the movie mixed with a little bit of stuff made just for the game. I'll check it out. I think there's some prerendered stuff in there, too. Point, Zeroigar!

Thanks for your support! I'm looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labors as well. :)

EDIT: Here is a fixed version of that intro movie.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32377930/01Zeroigar.avi
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:01:59 AM by SamIAm »

SamIAm

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 07:00:17 AM »
Hey, anybody good with photoshop? Look at these two pictures. I hate to give Esperknight another thing to worry about, but since the title screen image basically appears to be a single image, I think it would be easy enough to swap in an English title screen.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/pc-fx/chshin-heiki-zeroigar/screenshots/gameShotId,394496/
http://www.pcfxtoo.com/images_scans/Tyoushin%20Heiki%20Zeroigar%20back.jpg

Somehow, I think that just "Zeroigar" would have more elegance to it than the whole "Super God Trooper Zeroigar" shebang. That's just my first thought, though.

KiddoCabbusses

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 07:56:47 AM »
Somehow, I think that just "Zeroigar" would have more elegance to it than the whole "Super God Trooper Zeroigar" shebang. That's just my first thought, though.

I fullheartedly agree. I'll give a fan translation I tried playing recently as an example of how doing completely literal translations of those kind of titles has become a pet peeve for me lately.
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1645/
I mean, jeez, the title screen was even edited to such an extent that the most proper identification of the game is in the smallest font and crammed in the upper-left. I would've just edited out the Japanese from the original logo and called it a day.

filler

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 10:03:11 AM »
Like this?
EDIT:
Note: I like transliterations of titles in cases like these.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:18:30 PM by filler »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »
"THE" looks out of place to me.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Djangoo2

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
That title screen looks pretty good and "PRESS RUN BUTTON" is what I'd go for. Zeroigar looks pretty good, but Chousin Heihi sounds like mumbo jumbo to me since I don't know a lick of Japanese. When I google the game, it seems most every site on the web refers to it as Super God Trooper Zeroigar. If that title's too clunky, you could always just remove it and go with a bigger Zeroigar logo.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:12:52 AM by Djangoo2 »

Keranu

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 11:11:58 AM »
I agree with the two posts above.

This is one exciting looking project! Just the menus translated alone would be a big help for me, there are so many different modes of play.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

filler

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:20 AM »
Thoughts?

EDIT: Posted another one with the white stroke removed so it's more like the original. Bumped the top text up a little to make it more readable.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:54:57 AM by filler »

EsperKnight

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 03:20:14 PM »
Awesome images filler :D  I'd like to see one with the top text with a white border then no white border on the bottom (a mix of the two). 

filler

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 03:26:54 PM »

Your wish is my command. :)

Keranu

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
I like the top and bottom text without the border, especially the top since I have a harder time reading it with the white border. The new font is slick!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).