Author Topic: Anyone hacked Exile 2 to fix the difficulty?  (Read 1603 times)

incrediblehark

Re: Anyone hacked Exile 2 to fix the difficulty?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »
Working designs was always a love/hate relationship, releasing quality games that would be considered niche titles at the time, mostly rpgs, but then adding their own "touches" like cheesy script re-writes and "enhancements" like unbalanced play in exile ii and limiting saves in lunar ii

Black Tiger

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »
One of the issues I remember with Exile II/WP is that the screen doesn't scroll until you are closer to the edge than should be in a game. I believe that both versions have this problem.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nodtveidt

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »
The original Exile II is also unbalanced... it's way too easy.

esteban

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 12:15:43 AM »
Never had the luxury of owning the game, so I never played it. What about the messed up code makes the game so difficult? Enemies doing more damage per hit than what's feasible?

For folks who need advice: search the forums for Old Rover's (nodtveidt's) "strategy guide" for Exile 2...it was very thorough, IIRC.

|    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 02:09:49 AM »
One of the issues I remember with Exile II/WP is that the screen doesn't scroll until you are closer to the edge than should be in a game. I believe that both versions have this problem.
One of the many flaws in Exile II that *could* have been corrected by WD. Oh well.

Shrapnoid

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:50 AM »

I *hate* it when games do that! It really makes you wonder sometimes what it was they were thinking when they set it up like that.
Is it just to piss off the player or maybe just a matter of not feeling like doing anything to fix the problem or maybe a little bit of both?

jayamine

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »
Don't bother raising to the final experience level. That's another bug in the game. The hardest part for me was the Genie boss fight before the end. I used Khindi and mixed the potion that doubles strength and got lucky killing him in a few hits. Doing the same for the final boss should help .. but this is memory from twenty years ago. I still have the potion mixing chart written down somewhere if anyone wants it.
The sequel to Splatter House should be called Circle Jerk.

nat

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
Exile II (US) comes off as really difficult at first, but then you realize that it's just that each enemy requires 157 hits to defeat. Once you realize this, the game isn't really all that hard. It's unnecessarily annoying, lengthy, and inane but only challenging in that you have to find the will within yourself to keep pressing on.

Keranu

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
Yeah I found the only truly challenging parts to be a couple of boss fights, the hardest being Djinn before the final boss.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Mishran

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 05:22:28 AM »
Finally started playing through this game, and yeah... not easy at all. Rediculous, in fact. Carrying a shit load of potions does tend to help out some. I'll get through it at some point before I die. :roll:

Hopefully. :pray:

nodtveidt

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 06:02:01 AM »
It's weird... I can now play through this game from beginning to end and not use a single healing item of any kind until the last area... and even there, I might only need a couple. It's tough as nails until you figure out all the enemy patterns and where things are gonna be.

Mishran

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 06:22:45 AM »
It's weird... I can now play through this game from beginning to end and not use a single healing item of any kind until the last area... and even there, I might only need a couple. It's tough as nails until you figure out all the enemy patterns and where things are gonna be.

Your a far better gamer than I then. I believe I'm at mount icarus now. The female creature with the homing spells is what is giving me trouble currently. Of course, I've only used Sadler up to this point, which may be my problem. I'll try some more tonight when I get home from work.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 06:36:19 AM »

I didn't get very far at all and gave up. I've thought about picking up a Japanese copy at various times since I actually really liked the first game, but didn't want to invest a lot of time into the unbalanced US release of Exile 2.
--DragonmasterDan

nodtveidt

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 06:55:17 AM »
Your a far better gamer than I then. I believe I'm at mount icarus now. The female creature with the homing spells is what is giving me trouble currently. Of course, I've only used Sadler up to this point, which may be my problem. I'll try some more tonight when I get home from work.
The freaky fairy-things that fly overhead? It's just a matter of knowing when they'll appear. Sadler is fine for this area... I use him for most of the game anyway. Everyone else is pretty pathetic.

I didn't get very far at all and gave up. I've thought about picking up a Japanese copy at various times since I actually really liked the first game, but didn't want to invest a lot of time into the unbalanced US release of Exile 2.
The Japanese one is way easier. the US one is... well, it's so frustratingly difficult that it's not really even all that much fun. If not for the cool music, it'd be a total loss.

Mishran

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 07:04:21 AM »
Actually they just sit still from what I can tell. Throws what looks like a cluster of tiny stars at you which home in on you. The flying fairies are easy to avoid.