Author Topic: Atari 7800  (Read 1240 times)

HercTNT

Re: Atari 7800
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2012, 02:25:22 PM »
Its amazing how much better a genny controller is than the atari stick when playing the 2600.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 12:43:36 AM »
Playing Atari 2600 with a f*cking soldering iron and a dinner fork is better than the joystick.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

HercTNT

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 03:22:54 AM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:   :clap:

futureman2000

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 04:03:11 AM »
Speaking of Genesis controller on 2600...

I picked up a 7800 with two 7800 joysticks. Neither of the controllers worked properly- on each one, some of the directions and a button didn't work. I decided to mod an NES controller to use on 7800 per some instructions that I found online. The mod was really tough- lots of little burns on my hands, but I got it done. When I tried it out on the 7800, I discovered that exact same deficiencies were present in the new Nes/7800 controller as had been present in the 7800 stick. I had used the cable from the 7800 joystick, which I then figured to have shorts in it. I could even get some buttons to work by manipulating the cable. I tried to re-splice the cable together, cutting out the shorted area, but no dice. The project seems to be permanently shelved, because I do not want to acquire a new cable/ butcher a genesis 6-button pad (some kind of problems keeps you from using a Genesis 3-button cable.)

Long story short, has anyone found a decent 2-button solution to 7800 controller replacement? As it stands, I still can't play Pole Position 2 or Rampage. I know that I could mod an SMS controller, but I couldn't bring myself to cut one up...

If not, I'm aware that I'm not missing out on much with these two games. Another mod job would take 10x as long to do as I would spend playing either of those games.
Take off yer flip flops and set up the tripod: it's bag kickin' time!

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »

I picked up a 7800 with two 7800 joysticks. Neither of the controllers worked properly- on each one, some of the directions and a button didn't work. I decided to mod an NES controller to use on 7800 per some instructions that I found online. The mod was really tough- lots of little burns on my hands, but I got it done. When I tried it out on the 7800, I discovered that exact same deficiencies were present in the new Nes/7800 controller as had been present in the 7800 stick. I had used the cable from the 7800 joystick, which I then figured to have shorts in it. I could even get some buttons to work by manipulating the cable. I tried to re-splice the cable together, cutting out the shorted area, but no dice. The project seems to be permanently shelved, because I do not want to acquire a new cable/ butcher a genesis 6-button pad (some kind of problems keeps you from using a Genesis 3-button cable.)

Long story short, has anyone found a decent 2-button solution to 7800 controller replacement? As it stands, I still can't play Pole Position 2 or Rampage. I know that I could mod an SMS controller, but I couldn't bring myself to cut one up...

If not, I'm aware that I'm not missing out on much with these two games. Another mod job would take 10x as long to do as I would spend playing either of those games.

The official 7800 pad works well.

--DragonmasterDan

HercTNT

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »
People keep saying that, but I have never actually seen one, or were to buy one.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 07:09:57 AM »
That joystick looks mental.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 07:37:46 AM »
People keep saying that, but I have never actually seen one, or were to buy one.

I'll PM you.
--DragonmasterDan

ApolloBoy

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 08:47:45 AM »
That joystick looks mental.
It actually works pretty well, and you can even unscrew it from the D-pad if you don't like it or depending on the game. Personally I use a converted NES controller which works even better than the CX78.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

Chuplayer

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 09:25:24 AM »

Get a new cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10212&cs_id=1021201&p_id=443&seq=1&format=2

You'll have to file down some of the plastic on the top part of the plug. The overhang above the 7800 controller port hangs too low for this cable without grinding it down first.

I use these cables as extension cords for my 7800 and Genesis consoles. They're good. You can also find 5200 and Turbo Duo/PC Engine extension cables there, too.

Shrapnoid

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2012, 10:04:31 AM »
I know that the 7800 pad can be found on ebay and places like that but, wasn't that controller only released for european 7800 consoles? 

ApolloBoy

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »
I know that the 7800 pad can be found on ebay and places like that but, wasn't that controller only released for european 7800 consoles? 
They were only released in Europe and Australia, but you can acquire them from American suppliers for less than $20 each.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

Shrapnoid

« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2012, 04:38:38 AM »
They were only released in Europe and Australia, but you can acquire them from American suppliers for less than $20 each.

Yeah? That sounds delightful. Could you give me the names of some of those suppliers?
That would certainly be preferable to using the default 7800 joysticks that make my hands hurt.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:41 AM »

Yeah? That sounds delightful. Could you give me the names of some of those suppliers?
That would certainly be preferable to using the default 7800 joysticks that make my hands hurt.

PM'ed
--DragonmasterDan

Shrapnoid

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »

PM'ed

Thanks again for that link.

I got the old Flashback set out today and played it some and even that version's mini-7800 controllers are a pain to use.
And don't even bother trying to use them in place of regular 7800 controllers because it wont work the same even though the plugs are the same.