Author Topic: How much did you know about electronics before you owned a PC-Engine/TG-16?  (Read 428 times)

Shrapnoid

How extensive was your knowledge of electronics/computers and etc. before you discovered the TurboGraf-16/PC-Engine systems and where you mechanically inclined?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
So.... what kind of game are you working on?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

I had opened up, taken apart and put back together electronics before. I did some typing on a computer at school and got to save it to a large (5") floppy disk and was lucky enough to sneak a few minutes in of Kings Quest now and then on my elementary school's new Apple IIgs computer. I knew how to set up vcrs, consoles, stereo systems and had already begun recording game footage to vhs tapes. I was only twelve years old though.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Shrapnoid

So.... what kind of game are you working on?

I put this thread here because it seemed like the right place for it considering all of the talent and enthusiasm in this part of the forum being put to use to uphold the reputation of what may be the most under appreciated gaming console in the world.   

thesteve

i have been repairing electronics ever since i was allowed out of the yard, and discovered yard-sales

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
I modified C64s and f*cked with C= hardware, including Amigas.  This includes fixing disk drives, adding sound chips, and all that jive.

I'm a programmer/math person though.  I blow at hardware for the most part.  I hate drawings and diagrams, so that shit dont work.  Circuit diagrams make me want to punch babies.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

BlueBMW

I work on cars for a living so I had some experience with electronic circuits on a macro level.  Beyond that I always have tinkered with computers and such.  But as far as down and dirty soldering and working with small electronic circuits.... I basically started all that with the pce / tg stuff.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Shrapnoid

I work on cars for a living so I had some experience with electronic circuits on a macro level.  Beyond that I always have tinkered with computers and such.  But as far as down and dirty soldering and working with small electronic circuits.... I basically started all that with the pce / tg stuff.

Since you're a mechanic you might get a kick out of this. My last car was a '67 Barracuda fastback. It ran well enough and only needed a little body work and resto but, it had a small wiring problem so, I had this bright (mega dumb) idea that, I'd just undo all of the wiring from the instrument cluster. I ended up disconnecting the entire wiring harness without bothering to take the cluster out of the dash first because I did it all on impulse.
Needless to say, I knew after that that, I'd never be able to turn it into the hot rod that I'd planned to so, I sold it to one of my brother's along with a nice set of rallies for just 1200 and he traded it for an old Coronet.

Okay. Before I got my TG16, I more or less did the same kind of stuff as Black Tiger. Most of what I took apart was 2600 carts and early NES carts that used flat-head screws so, I could clean them easier.

When I was still a kid, I took apart a Transformers Triple Changer (Blitzwing?), put all of the little pieces (must've been over a hundred) in a jar and after a month, I got it out one day and rebuilt it even though I'd forgotten what went where and yes, it still worked.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:59:13 AM by Shrapnoid »

nat

I got a TG-16 for Christmas 1990. I was just a kid. I liked computers and had lots of fun with them, could write some rudimentary programs in BASIC, etc, but my technical expertise was hardly developed.

roflmao

I think I started getting into building PCs about the time I got into the Turbo.  Well, it was probably a couple years after getting into Turbo. 

In 1994 I started a company with my parents repairing laser printers and such.  Not a lot of soldering, though.  Mostly replacing whole boards, fuses, gears, etc. 

In 2006-ish? I worked as the Technical Manager for a local Chuck E Cheese(for a year).  That's when I really started getting into learning about electronics and soldering.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep up with practicing regularly after I left and have become quite rusty.