Author Topic: a question about sprite animation and the PC-E  (Read 796 times)

touko

Re: a question about sprite animation and the PC-E
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 04:13:45 AM »

Not only does the SNES have 64k vram, it's strictly banked and segmented, unlike the PCE and Megadrive.

Am I missing something? Is there something special in Magical PoP'n that I didn't see?
Oups, yes 64 kb, bad wiki info  #-o
Quick Search is not good lol .

Black Tiger

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 05:54:41 AM »
Holy crap, it's like Ninja Strider...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USwHcNv2H7Q&feature=player_embedded#!

More like Ninja Spartan-X.  :wink:
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Nando

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 06:26:24 AM »
Holy crap, it's like Ninja Strider...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USwHcNv2H7Q&feature=player_embedded#!

More like Ninja Spartan-X.  :wink:

I must have missed the snakes! lol hahah too funny Kung Fu Master FTW!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 06:41:48 AM »
While Dracula X does have a lot of animation, a high number of frames isn't the only thing needed to make "good animation". The biggest letdown in that game is Rhicter himself, who is a pretty horribly drawn sprite, as were all CV game main characters up until that point. They walk like they've been holding a huge shit for the last 6 hours. Its kind of depressing really, since almost every other thing in the game is amazingly good.

A side note: regarding the SNES's 64/128kb VRAM limit. I think there was some way around that, and I think Doom used it. Yeah, Doom. Kind of a waste. Maybe they added VRAM to the cart, perhaps? I don't know. I remember reading something about it when the game was new.

Am I missing something? Is there something special in Magical PoP'n that I didn't see?

From a technical perspective the number of frames and sprite sizes are probably the same or less than PCE/MD, but the end product is pretty slick thanks to the artists. You'd probably have to be non-autistic to see it though since it has nothing to do with RAM, sprite size, who made the machine, etc.

Nando

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 07:42:04 AM »
You'd probably have to be non-autistic to see it though since it has nothing to do with RAM, sprite size, who made the machine, etc.

LMAO!!!

I can see what you mean about the walk cycle, maybe it was a gameplay based decision?  There are some really cool Sakuga type animations in the game overall.

Keranu

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »
From a technical perspective the number of frames and sprite sizes are probably the same or less than PCE/MD, but the end product is pretty slick thanks to the artists. You'd probably have to be non-autistic to see it though since it has nothing to do with RAM, sprite size, who made the machine, etc.
Haha touche. This is what I'm trying to achieve with my animation in Jungle Bros. Granted there are a lot of frames in JB, but even with just 2 or 3 frames of animation you can make something look really cool and smooth.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »
You'd probably have to be non-autistic to see it though since it has nothing to do with RAM, sprite size, who made the machine, etc.

LMAO!!!

I can see what you mean about the walk cycle, maybe it was a gameplay based decision?  There are some really cool Sakuga type animations in the game overall.

It's very well animated. The game was honoring the series' heritage while bringing it into the modern age (Drac X's style is the template for the series to this day) and tied it all together. It's no different than giving nice animation to something as hideous as the characters in Donkey Kong Country. The fact that they were able to smoothly animate a traditional Castlevania walk cycle while transitioning it into other animations is very impressive. The pose may be ridiculous, but the whole concept of Castlevania is ridiculous. Just compare Richter's walk cycle to any other version up to that point, including the X68000. Richter looks like a believable animation of a person moving that way. The rest are broken or barely animated at all.

Haha touche. This is what I'm trying to achieve with my animation in Jungle Bros. Granted there are a lot of frames in JB, but even with just 2 or 3 frames of animation you can make something look really cool and smooth.

Jungle Bros has some very impressive animation, both from a technical standpoint and (especially) artistically. The characters look very cool in still frames, but they really come to life and exude personality through their various animations. It's going to be one of the game's hallmarks that will leave an impression on people. Also, it will fill the void of cute platformers with nice animated sprites which the PC Engine is lacking. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:23:06 PM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum