Author Topic: Fixing stuck laser for CD-ROM2  (Read 193 times)

Samurai Ghost

Fixing stuck laser for CD-ROM2
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been addressed here before, and there are some related threads, so sorry for starting a new one, but does anyone have advice for getting the laser unstuck for CD-ROM2 units?

I have a lot of these and have them repaired/refurbished by an electrician, and generally the work great after this but there's been a case where a CD unit which was working just fine suddenly has it's laser getting stuck and the disc won't spin up. Are there any techniques for getting the laser unstuck that are worth a try? Or should I just crack the thing open again and have a look?

Thanks!

Keith Courage

Re: Fixing stuck laser for CD-ROM2
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:26:53 PM »
If the center gear is not broken what I do is I use a small drill bit to drill out the hole on the gear. I don't make the hole larger. I just run a drill bit through the center a couple times and it gets all the old gunked up lube out of it. This stuff is usually what makes it stick. Then I re-lube and put back together again. If it still gets stuck afterwards then the motor itself could be wearing out. Alternatively the Two gear solution for replacing the 3rd gear usually works as a fix for this as well cause the motor doesn't have to work as hard with the 2 gears instead of 3.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:28:48 PM by Keith Courage »

Samurai Ghost

Re: Fixing stuck laser for CD-ROM2
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »
If the center gear is not broken what I do is I use a small drill bit to drill out the hole on the gear. I don't make the hole larger. I just run a drill bit through the center a couple times and it gets all the old gunked up lube out of it. This stuff is usually what makes it stick. Then I re-lube and put back together again. If it still gets stuck afterwards then the motor itself could be wearing out. Alternatively the Two gear solution for replacing the 3rd gear usually works as a fix for this as well cause the motor doesn't have to work as hard with the 2 gears instead of 3.

Thanks for the advice!