Author Topic: Low cost Flash Hucard  (Read 8302 times)

gameofyou

Re: Low cost Flash Hucard
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 05:27:20 AM »
Hear hear.  Plus, if something IS wrong, they'll have more insight into what the problem is rather than "it doesn't work :("

lol.  Good point!

gameofyou

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 05:28:33 AM »
id love to test a proto board.
id even test it on several systems

That would be great!  I'll contact you when I'm ready.

lwizardl

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:56 PM »
currently have 2 american tg16 systems, and hopefully a duo on the way that i could use for testing.

gameofyou

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »
Here's a photo of the bare low-cost prototype circuit board:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:35:55 PM by gameofyou »

spenoza

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 02:54:33 PM »
I do hope you're gonna round off those corners just a hair on the production model  ; )
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

thesteve

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
lookin sharp

Mishran

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 03:58:39 PM »
Your knocking this project out rather quick. Looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

grahf

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 12:32:26 AM »
Awesome! Have fun soldering those components :D
I know you said you haven't yet started on the flash code. I'd be interested in porting it to Linux, if you don't already plan to do that.

gameofyou

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 01:11:27 AM »
I do hope you're gonna round off those corners just a hair on the production model  ; )

This is just a low-cost proto made for test/debug purposes.  When I order the final board design, it will have a green soldermask layer, white silkscreen layer, beveled edge along the connector contacts, and (depending on price) gold flash on the connector contacts.

gameofyou

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2012, 01:14:21 AM »
Your knocking this project out rather quick. Looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks, I have been spending a LOT of time on it.  I have a window of opportunity to get it done, before I have other obligations on my time.   

gameofyou

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »
Awesome! Have fun soldering those components :D
I know you said you haven't yet started on the flash code. I'd be interested in porting it to Linux, if you don't already plan to do that.

I bought some magnifiers to help with the soldering, but this 0.5mm pitch stuff is going to take some practice.  It is definately the smallest stuff I have ever soldered (by far).  They don't make these parts in different packages, though, and paying to have them assembled would really jack up the price. 

As far as the software, I have both PC software and microcontroller code written.  They just have to be tested/debugged.  If you want to do a Linux port, that will be great.  I plan on posting all the info required, after the project is complete.

thesteve

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 03:12:04 AM »
trick for soldering the small stuff is small tip and flood it with flux

soop

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 03:20:19 AM »
Hmm.  I have an idea, which may be stupid, but I'll say it anyway.

What if... the card gets tested, and everyone signs up for their cards.  And everyone pays.  But to share the workload, the people on the forum who are good at soldering could recieve around 5 bare cards and parts, solder them up, and send them on to other people in their area?  As a consequence, the people who recieve these cards would pay a small fee to the solderer, meaning the solderer would end up getting a reduced/free card?

Like I say it may be ridiculous, but considering the interest these things are generating, I don't see GameofYou having time to solder together 100s of these things.  And I suck at soldering, so I would gladly pay someone to solder mine (if I get one).

TheOldMan

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 04:07:50 AM »
this 0.5mm pitch stuff is going to take some practice.

...the people on the forum who are good at soldering could recieve around 5 bare cards and parts, solder them up, and send them on to other people in their area?

trick for soldering the small stuff is small tip and flood it with flux

You have to be really, really good at soldering to do the tsop stuff. And have a really good tip on the iron.
Which limits it to probably a half-dozen people here.

Might I suggest a toaster-oven? (Don't laugh, Google it.)

soop

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 04:46:40 AM »