Author Topic: Does anyone want to work on a translation?  (Read 3286 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Does anyone want to work on a translation?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 12:38:10 PM »
I just spoke with MooZ (pce coder and hacker) and he's looking for a translator for Nazo no Masquerade:
http://pcedev.blockos.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80

Also, I'll PM SM2 stuff once I get it packed up.

Old Rover: Translation hacking is the source of many headaches :/ The easy part is finding and dumping the text, the hard part is making a new print routine (if you're lucky, you might not need to - like NW did with Xak III) and finding a way to compress the replacement English text back into the same space as the original.

Doh!  A digital comic. :(  I've never been able to get into any of these, aw well.

burn_654

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 02:33:51 PM »
Ooh! ooh! *raises hand*
Momotarou Katsugeki...the platformer momotarou with rpg elements by Hudson.
Check it out, it's a great game! I've been working on it for a bit.

Some good progress so far:
*Basic pointer changes - most dialog scripts, menu options.
*Control codes discovered
*Debug Hudson english table
*Hiragana table
**ASM hacking the townsperson vertical dialog (right to left) to print the script left to right from proper x,y origin (done), and using the diacritical column space (WIP but definitely possible) to maximize usable area.
*Loading custom ASM from free space in the bank works.
*With help from my brother, we coded a basic Hu6280 disassembler/reassembler, great to edit code in notepad.
*A proper upper and lowercase english font will be inserted.

What needs done:
*VRAM hacking to increase the number of townsperson text columns that display. It needs to a. load more script data into some blank vram space and b. alter the pattern table to include that and expand the text bubble width.
*VRAM hacking/decompression for the compressed tile format - signposts, shop 'exit' sign, titlescreen if space allows. Maybe just loading in some uncompressed tiles instead?
*Script translations (on hold until technical limitations are worked out)

Anyone interested in helping out with this?
Someone with some vram hacking/graphics experience would be great to get in touch with.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:39:03 PM by burn_654 »
Quote from: RegalSin
You know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 06:13:46 PM »
Ooh! ooh! *raises hand*
Momotarou Katsugeki...the platformer momotarou with rpg elements by Hudson.
Check it out, it's a great game! I've been working on it for a bit.

Some good progress so far:
*Basic pointer changes - most dialog scripts, menu options.
*Control codes discovered
*Debug Hudson english table
*Hiragana table
**ASM hacking the townsperson vertical dialog (right to left) to print the script left to right from proper x,y origin (done), and using the diacritical column space (WIP but definitely possible) to maximize usable area.
*Loading custom ASM from free space in the bank works.
*With help from my brother, we coded a basic Hu6280 disassembler/reassembler, great to edit code in notepad.
*A proper upper and lowercase english font will be inserted.

What needs done:
*VRAM hacking to increase the number of townsperson text columns that display. It needs to a. load more script data into some blank vram space and b. alter the pattern table to include that and expand the text bubble width.
*VRAM hacking/decompression for the compressed tile format - signposts, shop 'exit' sign, titlescreen if space allows. Maybe just loading in some uncompressed tiles instead?
*Script translations (on hold until technical limitations are worked out)

Anyone interested in helping out with this?
Someone with some vram hacking/graphics experience would be great to get in touch with.

Damn, it's got nicer gfx & music then I remember, maybe I never did try it out before?  Too bad someone couldn't do a graphical upgrade as well, but I'm sure it's a whole nother ballpark.  I could see maybe a few more colors, or paralax.  The towns could easily have paralax with those bottom buildings, & there's never alot of sprites onscreen in general(atleast not early on).  Probably could have some nice hori-paralax thruout.  Still, it's a cool game.  I wouldn't mind the controls being tightend up slightly, but then again, maybe the game would be too easy that way.

Arjak

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »
If I had any abilities in this area beyond voice acting, I would help you in a second. As is, all I can do at this point is offer moral support and suggestions. Any of the great RPGs would be wonderful to have in English. I have heard good things about Anearth Fantasy Stories, and Legend of Xanadu I would be a good idea, since you've already tackled the second. While we're talking about RPGs (besides Far East of Eden), I've heard that the Tenshi no Uta games are really good. Finally, being the pervert that I am, I must mention that the Dragon Knight games have gotten my interest... :P (I would definitely try out for voicing the hero in that one!)
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

esteban

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 06:18:02 PM »
Damn, it's got nicer gfx & music then I remember, maybe I never did try it out before?  Too bad someone couldn't do a graphical upgrade as well, but I'm sure it's a whole nother ballpark.  I could see maybe a few more colors, or paralax.  The towns could easily have paralax with those bottom buildings, & there's never alot of sprites onscreen in general(atleast not early on).  Probably could have some nice hori-paralax thruout.  Still, it's a cool game.  I wouldn't mind the controls being tightend up slightly, but then again, maybe the game would be too easy that way.

Cook notices a pattern in P_D's posts...

|    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 07:05:52 PM »
Damn, it's got nicer gfx & music then I remember, maybe I never did try it out before?  Too bad someone couldn't do a graphical upgrade as well, but I'm sure it's a whole nother ballpark.  I could see maybe a few more colors, or paralax.  The towns could easily have paralax with those bottom buildings, & there's never alot of sprites onscreen in general(atleast not early on).  Probably could have some nice hori-paralax thruout.  Still, it's a cool game.  I wouldn't mind the controls being tightend up slightly, but then again, maybe the game would be too easy that way.

Ohhhh, dear, just don't let Rover see my post! :D

sunteam_paul

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 10:42:15 PM »

Ohhhh, dear, just don't let Rover see my post! :D

I think an intervention is needed.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 12:28:35 AM »
Probably! :lol:

SamIAm

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 02:16:27 AM »
I'm officially on the case for Spriggan Mk. 2. Time to get out the ol' headphones and do some audio translating. It would be cool if the subtitle thing really works out! At very least, I hope we can release a text guide.

Hopefully writing up a draft won't take more than a few days. :)

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
Don't know if this is entirely the best place post about this but I saw that you put up a help wanted add on romhacking.net for Princess Crown!
http://www.romhacking.net/helpads/393/

I've been wanting to play that game ever since I first played Odin Sphere back in 2008!
Good luck on finding a hacker and trust me your going to need it. I can't think of to many people that are crazy enough to hack for the Saturn.
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

SamIAm

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 09:06:22 AM »
Yeah, I sure did. I hope I get a response. In fact, I think I put up an add for that a year ago or so. Let's hope someone replies.

I suspect that in a couple of years, particularly when my visa runs out here in Japan, my life is going to change and get busier than it is, and it will be a lot harder to find the time to work on games. Now is my chance to do a few larger projects and put them out quickly.

Esperknight is not afraid of hacking the Saturn, but again, the dude just has too much on his plate at the moment. That's why I hope that a rogue hacker comes forward and gets me a script dump!

Got 2 stages worth of Spriggan mk2 done already, as well as beat the game with the invincibility hack. This should be interesting. By the way, who has beaten mk2 on normal with no continues? I'd like to know how difficult you rank the game. Zeroigar seemed really hard at first, but after a few dozen tries, I can pretty much 1CC it in my sleep now. If it's not too difficult, I wouldn't mind getting equally good at mk2.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »
You could always translate the PSP version of Princess Crown, there's probably more hacking going on in the PSP community compared to Saturn.  However, I've heard that the PSP version was a poor port, though I don't recall why.  It supposedly had some kind of problems.  It'd be nice though if someone brought it over & fixed whatever needs fixin, even if it's only on PSN.

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »
You could always translate the PSP version of Princess Crown, there's probably more hacking going on in the PSP community compared to Saturn.
It would probably be just as difficult, if not more, to do it on the PSP since the PSP version is actually being emulated. Hence the reason why people say it has problems.
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

Bonknuts

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »
Got 2 stages worth of Spriggan mk2 done already, as well as beat the game with the invincibility hack. This should be interesting. By the way, who has beaten mk2 on normal with no continues? I'd like to know how difficult you rank the game. Zeroigar seemed really hard at first, but after a few dozen tries, I can pretty much 1CC it in my sleep now. If it's not too difficult, I wouldn't mind getting equally good at mk2.

IMO normal difficulty is just average difficulty. It's just the last couple of levels you have try to reserve certain weapon stock for certain areas (I mean more so than previous levels). On hard and super hard, you get to fight the real last boss in a laser sword battle (can't shoot). Plus, you get more dialogue and cinema stuff. End credits show more screen shots on completion of the harder modes. I beat it on all modes back in the day ('93 when I imported it).

kazekirifx

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »
I can translate J->E, and wouldn't mind translating some scripts if you have any.
I have only the language skills, though. No technical know-how.