Author Topic: "Hardcore Gaming" sucks at Rayxanber  (Read 1033 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: "Hardcore Gaming" sucks at Rayxanber
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »
Legion is f*cking sweet.

I should write a Hydlide article for HG101.  It's the white-mans bane as far as NES games, and I think it's hilarious because the games easier than an 18 year old college chick
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
I compare R-Type to Rayxanber because both games are all about using the tools you have properly to get through an otherwise impossible situation.  In Rayxanber your tools are the subweapons, which you choose the direction that they fire in, and each has a unique charge shot.  Plus the turbo boost.     While in R-Type learning to use the Force properly is the key to winning, and also choosing the correct sub-weapon helps a lot too.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

esteban

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »
We had a similar discussion before, but it concerned that crappy Fall of the Arcades video:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1350.msg51620#msg51620

Thanks for posting that link. I can't believe that was 5 years ago (it doesn't seem that long). This has been a problem with many of the podcasts I used to listen to: folks who clearly did not invest time with a game were spewing knee-jerk comments that revealed how ill-informed they were on the subject. Now, I haven't listened to "retro" video game podcasts for several years because too many of them seemed more interested in meeting arbitrary deadlines (we must release a show every week no matter what!) than in producing a comprehensive, informative program.

I am certainly not perfect, and I know I can overstate things, but it is sad when "quality" content is so lacking.... I made similar critiques of "Retro Gamer" magazine many years ago (>6) because they were inconsistent (I had fun reading Retro Gamer, though. The layout and pictures were fun.)

Anyway...
  |    | 

Mathius

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
I have always loved the articles on HG101, especially Kurt Katala's write-ups. I read this Rayxanbar article the day it was posted and it really turned my stomach (parts of the Toaplan article did too but that was down to the lousy writing). It's not that I am some kind of nut who wants to strangle anyone who says anything negative about a PCE game, it's that, like already stated, he didn't fully invest himself in the article. I briefly played Ray II at BlueBMW's flat at MGC and it kicked my ass naturally. However, I still have an itch to try again someday if I can get a copy. That's a mark of a good game.

F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 06:58:38 PM »
Legion is f*cking sweet.

Some of the stuff the guy was saying at the beginning of each stage was just way out there, totally f*cking funny WTF types of shit. On my old youtube channel I had a video up of the game so people could see how out there that stuff was, and I used to get messages now and then about it in my inbox. I think the guy doing the voice acting was one of the same guys who worked on Last Alert also, some nameless English voice talent regular at Telenet who did multiple voice types, or tried to anyway. They probably had intentions to bring the game over here too since they had all that craziness recorded in English. Definitely one of Telenets more oddball but interesting titles at any rate.

ccovell

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »
Legion is f*cking sweet.

It f*ckin' sucks!  Anyway, here are cheat codes that I found for it a while ago:

http://forums.magicengine.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=1800

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 01:25:02 AM »
I dunno why Legion would f*ckin suck.

like profprof pointed out, its an oddball title.  I still like playing it.  It's not like it's a shitty game.  It's just kind of "uhhh?"

It's actually in my list of horizontal shooters I don't hate playing. There are not many. 
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Obfuscate

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 04:50:41 AM »
I never got to play Rayxanber 1 but Rayxanber 2 is one of my favorites at this point. In fact if it wasn't for the slowdown in stage 4 and the problems that creates I'd rank it right there with GoT. Rayxanber 3 is uper fun too. I guess to fully appreciate them you need to put your time in which the reviewer clearly didn't.