Author Topic: Possible to hack the Tennokoe Bank ROM to use a flash cart?  (Read 249 times)

YAGRS

Over on the Everdrive forums, I asked about the possibility of including a feature in the Turbo Everdrive that would allow backing up the save memory from the Turbo Booster Plus, Turbo CD, Duo, etc. Igor (the creator of the Everdrives) does not plan on implementing this, but it made me wonder if it would be possible to hack the ROM for the Tennokoe Bank to save to backup the internal memory to the Everdrive (or your flash cart of choice). As someone who has lost saves due to not powering up my Turbo frequently enough to keep the cap charged, I would love to be able to put these saves on the micro SD card that the Turbo Everdrive will use and then either keep them there or transfer them to my PC.

I haven't done any real hacking myself (other than changing a few values in a hex editor to get rid of region protection, etc.), so this isn't something I would be able to do. I'm just curious as to whether it is possible and how difficult it might be for someone with experience hacking ROMs.

HercTNT

Re: Possible to hack the Tennokoe Bank ROM to use a flash cart?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »
No one else has piped in so i figured i would give you some kind of response. the issue of saving games in one form or another has been heavily discussed. What you propose would not currently work as i have been told. Thesteve and other members have been exploring a fix for save games. Eventually one of them will come up with a solution. A pass through cartridge addon exists for the super nintendo that allows for a save state via hardware on a per game basis. maybe a similar solution can be made for the turbo.

YAGRS

Re: Possible to hack the Tennokoe Bank ROM to use a flash cart?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:44 AM »
I did a search prior to posting this and found a thread in which someone asked about using the unmodified ROM, and it was explained why that wouldn't work, but I didn't see anything about the possibility of hacking a ROM. The Tennokoe Bank cards are still easy to find and can be found for cheap, so it's not that big of a deal. Would be nice to back up saves to something that doesn't require a battery, though.

Anyway, thanks for answering!