Author Topic: How to burn backup cds that won't ruin your Pc Engine in 2023  (Read 250 times)

pipi

Hi all,

I finally managed to repair a super sweet super cdrom2.

I got some nice japanese games but I'd like to try - for example - also the english translation for Rodo.
I bought for this specific reason an old plextor cdrw that can burn (I hope and suppose) very slow speed and also some old stock tayio uden.

Now my question is...
What is a good recipe for burning high quality backups that won't ruin my pc engine cd?
I know that in the past suggestion was 1x burning, good quality burner and tayo uden media...
Is this still true today?

I also have some modern Verbatim (the ones that look like vinyl), are those also ok or not?

Thanks for your help and ideas! :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: How to burn backup cds that won't ruin your Pc Engine in 2023
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 09:31:31 PM »
I think it's just luck of the draw and there's no hard and fast rules of what'll work without issues; you'll have to try different discs and see what your system likes.  Generally, I'd suggest lower capacity discs, name brands, and burning at speeds for which your drive and media are rated.  Listen to your system when playing and stop if it is straining to read it (long seeks, many reseeks, stops playing music midtrack because it got lost, etc).

Personally, my TurboDuo likes no CDRs at all, even those burned on my old PC's 4x max drive at 1x.  My Duo RX (and PC-FX), however, seems happy playing anything I've tried.  I use ImgBurn and 80 min JVC branded Taiyo Yudens at 16x (the slowest speed they're rated) on whatever generic DVD-RW drive my PC came with; they always fail verification in ImgBurn, but they work fine.  :-k

Those Verbatims are probably just as good as my JVCs;  I'd give 'em a shot.  Let us know what works for ya!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keith Courage

Re: How to burn backup cds that won't ruin your Pc Engine in 2023
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 10:01:10 PM »
yeah, it's all trial an error figuring out what type of CD-R discs will work well with your DUO. SOme DUos work best with cheaper media(light green colored dye) and some DUOs will only work good with more costly stuff(darker green/bluish Azo dye). Makes no difference if the lens is new, old, or if adjustments are made sometimes either. Some can be improved with adjustments but not all.

You will also find that some CD burners will work better than others regardless of the speed it discs can be burned at.