Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23533 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #345 on: December 13, 2016, 08:58:31 AM »
I died dozens of times.  Dozens!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #346 on: December 30, 2016, 02:39:31 AM »
Clear #78 - Energy

With cabbage's fine translation patch, which also fixes the slow text and scrolling, this game is actually kinda fun.  It's flawed, sure, but it's definitely worth a look.

The Good:  sweet tunes, a bit of humor in the dialog, cute Yukiko dance, and the faces in the walls are kinda neat.

The Bad:  flat and primitive backgrounds, goofy looking and not very well animated sprites, you spend too much time retracing your steps (especially if you're not following a guide and don't know where to go), a short and bland ending without a proper credit roll, and the many enemy spawn points that force you to take cheap, unavoidable damage.

The Ugly:  without cabby's patch, the slow text boxes, screen transitions, and unskippable opening cutscene will drive you to drink.

NightWolve

« Reply #347 on: December 30, 2016, 08:09:17 AM »
That's pretty good hacking talent that the PCE library rarely receives if he also fixed flaws like that.

esteban

« Reply #348 on: December 30, 2016, 10:22:24 AM »
That's pretty good hacking talent that the PCE library rarely receives if he also fixed flaws like that.

I officially ordered a 2GB microSD card for TED...it only took me ___ years...
  |    | 

Mathius

« Reply #349 on: December 30, 2016, 04:59:36 PM »
Looks like I need to feed TED a new ROM.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

blueraven

« Reply #350 on: January 03, 2017, 05:25:36 PM »
Ok. I need to get an everdrive now.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #351 on: February 01, 2017, 02:59:22 AM »
Clear #79 - Circus Lido

Every time I'd get stuck just a few levels in, so I never thought I'd beat this one.  I figured I was too dumb to figure out the puzzles, but it turns out I was just too dumb to figure out that you can climb on the usually lethal spikey vines by nabbing a pill bug; thanks to youtube, though, I finally got somewhere!  It's probably explained in the manual, but I can't do moonrunes and who's got time to read anyway?  :lol:

Overall it's good fun, but it definitely has its frustrating moments.  Visit Videogame Den for a nice story about the game's odd release history; I'm glad it's no longer teh rarez, so now everyone can easily pick up a copy and save Leon the Chameleon.

The Good:  nice tunes, particularly the end credits track; tricksy puzzles that'll get ya thinking; easy to use password system; no time limits; optional bonus levels; and cute lil Leon.

The Bad:  Leon is often dirt slow, and his controls are a bit clunky - I often threw stuff the wrong way or too far; bland background scenery with little variety, though the animated rain and waterfalls behind the x-shaped vines look nice; the bosses don't appear if you're using passwords to save progress, and the final boss (a sweet looking giant venus fly trap) doesn't seem to appear even if you play straight through sans continues, but they're thankfully accessible with a password.

The Ugly:  cheap, unfair hits from shoddy hit detection.

Full Disclosure - Rather than my usual 1CC, this is another one where I used continues and passwords.  Beating this one in one run would be mission impossibru.

P.S. - My copy is No. 001237.  :mrgreen:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #352 on: February 27, 2017, 04:14:40 AM »
Clear #80 - JB Harold Murder Club

The Original Kill Bill?  :mrgreen:

The Good:  Lots of nice voice acting, which is easily skipped or turned off all together if you want to speed things along; cool digitized pics; a motley cast of characters; 'tis a good mystery with red herrings and a good plot twist but no silly time limits or penalties for asking the wrong questions; and great jazzy redbook tunes with mediocre background chip muzak.

The Bad:  While they look okay as is, the digitized pics could look a lot better with more colors; the police station background tune has an annoying cymbal 'tsss' that sounds more like a staticy hiss than music; and it's lame how searching locations again after they've already been searched once sometimes magically turns up new clues.

The Ugly:  NA

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: April 12, 2017, 05:13:33 AM »
Clear #81 - JB Harold Manhattan Requiem

More of the same type of game play, but now with FMV intro/confession/ending, improved location pics, and nicer character portraits.

The Good: tons of voice acting, which you can again turn off to hurry things along; a good whodunnit with a couple unexpected plot twists; more fun jazz tunes, which you can play at will in the bar jukebox and look at the album art; lots of characters to talk to, many of which are rather cute; and a mildly entertaining diversion playing weird blackjack (see below).

The Bad: There's only two locations to search for clues, and you again have to search more than once to get everything; earned Blackjack credits seem useless (even if you go broke, you can leave and come back in to start back at 20); and you gotta flip the disc a lot near the end.

The Ugly: NA

The Rules of Blackjack

[ Card combinations ]

1. Special Blackjack
(ace & jack of spades)
BET + BETx15 - defeats even the dealer's Blackjack

2. Semi-special Blackjack
(ace & jack of the same suit)
BET + BETx5 - defeats even the dealer's Blackjack

3. Blackjack
(an ace, and a 10, jack queen or king of any suit)
BET + BETx1.5 - ends in a draw

4. 6cards
(6 cards totaling up to but not exceeding 21)
BET + BETx5 - wins unconditionally

5. 7cards
(7 cards totaling up to but not exceeding 21)
BET + BETx10 - wins unconditionally

6. 8cards
(8 cards totaling up to but not exceeding 21)
BET + BETx15 - wins unconditionally

7. 777
(3 sevens)
BET + BETx15 - wins unconditionally

8. Other
(Having a higher count than the dealer but not exceeding 21)
BET + BETx1 - wins

[ Advanced technique ]

1. SPLIT PAIR
If the two cards are the same number, each card can be bet as a hand.
If the player has two aces, only one more card can be dealt.
In this case, a face card and ten are counted as 21, not as B/J.
(Note This is possible only when the player has the same or higher points than the first BET.)

2. DOUBLE DOWN
Although the player can double the first BET points when two cards are dealt, the player can draw only one more card.(Draw one unconditionally.)
(Note The player needs the same or higher remaining points than the BET points.)

3. INSURANCE
When the card that the dealer shows is an ace, the player can save half the points of the first BET.
In case the dealer's cards are Blackjack, the player gets the insurance BETx3.
If the dealer's cards are NOT Blackjack, all of the insurance BET goes to the dealer.

[ Commands ]

1. HIT - Need another card

2. STAND - Need no more cards

3. DOUBLE - Double the points of BET
(Refer to the section above for a detailed explanation)

4. INSURANCE - Save half the points BET as insurance

5. SPLIT - Try 2 hands by dividing your pair
(Refer to the section above for a detailed explanation)

[ Rules ]

Bet first.
Following the BET, cards are dealt to the player, and then to the dealer, one at a time.
The dealer and player each should have two cards to play the game.
As many cards as the players wants can be dealt.
If the total of the player's cards "win unconditionally" or "defeat the dealer's hand," the game is over.
If the player's cards are "BUST," the dealer wins the game.
If the player's cards are not "BUST," the dealer takes as many cards as necessary, and the player and dealer compare their cards.
If the card totals are the same, the game ends in a draw.
The points of the BET are returned to the player.
(When the dealer's cards are Blackjack, the player loses unless the cards can defeat or end the game in a draw, even if the player's cards are 21.)

[ Supplement ]

1) When counting the winning points, omit the figure below the decimals.

example When the cards are Blackjack at 1 of the BET points.
The points can be figured out
= BET + BETx1.5
= 1 + 1x1.5
= 2.5

However, in this game, the points are calculated as
= 1 + 1x1.5
= 2

2) The maximum points the player can bet at one time are 1,000.

I've never seen such convoluted rules, but at least it pays out with half-nekkid girlies!  It wouldn't be an LA game without boobs, right?  :lol:

As far as I can tell, you get normal NY scenery pics if you win 100+ credits in a hand:

Pic 1     Pic 2

Or if you win 1000+ credits, you get girls in lingerie:

Pic 3     Pic 4     Pic 5

Pic 6     Pic 7     Pic 8

It's too bad these pics are transparent overlays with scenery backdrops; it looks goofy.  Also, I can't say how many there are total, but I saw at least a dozen and no repeats.

esteban

Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #354 on: April 12, 2017, 06:10:42 AM »
This is one of the reasons why I want LaserActive.  .)

Ha!

I can't wait to look at those pics when I'm not in family-land.

Also, I just remembered that it was EXACTLY* ONE YEAR AGO that Necro sent me tons of images for a half-finished project.

Now I must put that on my to-do list.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 06:18:03 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

seieienbu

« Reply #355 on: April 12, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »

I've never seen such convoluted rules, but at least it pays out with half-nekkid girlies!  It wouldn't be an LA game without boobs, right?  :lol:

So that's why Laseractives go for so much money. :lol:

In all honesty, I've often wondered what the big deal with the platform is.  At some point I'll get around to looking into what unique games are actually on the platform.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #356 on: April 12, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »
The only reason to get it is for the novelty and to play regular PCE and/or FEKA games on it.  The LA games themselves aren't anything spectacular, many of which are on other platforms anyway.

Speaking of boobehs, I counted 76 risque pics, which would require an awful lot of Blackjack to see 'em all:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tVA_ERfgxM

I forgot to mention my best Blackjack hand, one where I won 10,000 credits on a 1,000 credit bet (the maximum).  I won with 3 + 2 + 5 + 2 + A + A + J to the dealer's 9 + 10.  I figure I should've busted, though I could've stopped at six cards (only 14) and won 5,000.  I don't get why it paid out at all, but who's gonna argue when the dealer's trying to give you free monies?

NightWolve

« Reply #357 on: April 12, 2017, 05:02:37 PM »
Hm, I never would've thought to ever try JB Harold Murder Club. Interesting you found the voice acting to be good.

esteban

Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #358 on: April 13, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
The only reason to get it is for the novelty and to play regular PCE and/or FEKA games on it.  The LA games themselves aren't anything spectacular, many of which are on other platforms anyway.

Speaking of boobehs, I counted 76 risque pics, which would require an awful lot of Blackjack to see 'em all:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tVA_ERfgxM

I love that you counted the pics.

That's what I would have done, too.

:)

Hm, I never would've thought to ever try JB Harold Murder Club. Interesting you found the voice acting to be good.

I like the music in this game (only because it's from JB Harold).

http://archives.tg-16.com/music_database.htm?col=jp&val=JB

Normally, this isn't my cup of tea...but it's from JB, so it's great. That's the power of LaserActive...

:)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:44:23 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: May 16, 2017, 06:41:42 AM »
Clear #82 - Bomberman

( Good thing you're a robot, eh?  She's touching your eyeball! )

Though '93 and '94 sport better tunes, more enemies, better level layouts, etc., the basic goodness is all here.  It feels primitive by comparison, sure, but nothing is particularly offensive.

The Good:  neat unfolding title screen logo, short but sweet opening and closing cut scenes, cute enemy sprites, okay tunes, multiplayer and 'Express link modes, and tricksy enemies like the bastard Boyons and the final boss battle against the Black Bomberman and his friends.

The Bad:  very little variety in the scenery or enemies, boring rectangular stage layouts, and the only way to use the save/password function is to die.

The Ugly:  NA