Author Topic: Was there a Legendary Axe III in development?  (Read 225 times)

T2KFreeker

Was there a Legendary Axe III in development?
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:59:40 AM »
Crazy as this is, I just talked to some old guy last night that used to own a gaming store in Japan and he swears there was a Legendary Axe III coming for the PC Engine Duo Arcade card. I never heard a damn thing about this back in the day, however, the old dude seemed to know what he was talking about with the PC Engine. Is there any information on this anywhere?

EDIT: After speaking with some people over at the other chat, I guess I should vlarify what I am getting at. Supposedly, this game would have been the sequel to the game that became Legendary Axe II here in the states and had the Arcade card released here it would more than likely been called Legendary Axe III. Sorry, I cannot remember the title he gave as I really do not speak Japanese.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:06:50 AM by T2KFreeker »
END OF LINE.

Black Tiger

Re: Was there a Legendary Axe III in development?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »
Maybe it would have just been a version of Astyanax the arcade or something.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

storino03

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
Astyanax was a sweet game on NES! Music is great.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:22:59 AM »
I'm skeptical of this being true, though I heartily hope it's true and T2K is sitting on a 100% complete prototype.  It seems unlikely that they'd make a sequel four or five years down the road, towards the end of the PCE's lifespan, and limit it to the handful of peeps that shelled out for an AC?  A sequel to Shapeshifter sounds more likely.... a guy can dream, dammit!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

T2KFreeker

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »
I'm skeptical of this being true, though I heartily hope it's true and T2K is sitting on a 100% complete prototype.  It seems unlikely that they'd make a sequel four or five years down the road, towards the end of the PCE's lifespan, and limit it to the handful of peeps that shelled out for an AC?  A sequel to Shapeshifter sounds more likely.... a guy can dream, dammit!

Hey now, there has been some confusion here. I never claimed to have a prototype of the game. I wish I did. I'd pee myself! :D Just was asking if anyone knew of the game ever being in production as I too am skeptical of the information. Only reason I am even considering the notion of it happening is the amount of knowledge the guy I was talking to had on the PC Engine/Turbografx, which never seems to happen often outside of the internet these days. I never walk into a place out of the wild and start talking Turbo and someone else walks up knowing exactly what I am talking about and starts adding in information that they know. It was odd. Very cool like the old days when I used to hang out at Toy's "R" Us just to play the kiosk and people there knew what was up.
END OF LINE.

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
I read almost every magazine bitd and most of what I could find online Turbo/PCE-related over the past 15 years, but I don't remember hearing anything about Legendary Axe III. I don't doubt that TTi might have considered bringing a PCE game over here and labeling it "Legendary Axe III", but there was no Legendary Axe II in the first place. The PCE games that were re-branded LA and LAII aren't part of a series any more than Gate of Thunder and Winds of Thunder are.

Since the most likely candidate would have been Rastan Saga II, I think that we were better off without it. If TTi was thinking of farming out an original production the way they did stuff like Tailspin, then I believe that we are all the more better off without it.

This rumor may have been part of PC Engine magazines' international coverage, in which they showed how weird the Turbo brand was in comparison to the PCE.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

T2KFreeker

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 04:58:41 PM »
Perhaps you are right, but then again though, it was supposed to be a CD game. Then again, wasn't TTi responsible for the CD version of Bonk III and isn't it supposed to be pretty bad? Yeah, Rastan II with a CD soundtrack and we'll call it Legendary Axe III!  8-[
END OF LINE.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »
No, Hudson was responsible for Bonk 3 CD.  TTI was given the game for release for free, or atleast, that's what TTI's secretary told me BITD.  For some reason, it was never released in Japan.

As for Legendary Axe 3, I know I've talked about doing a 3rd game(of sorts), that's somewhat of a mix between the two other game in art & level style, & it'd be on cd, though I don't know if I've ever talked about it publicly.  Even then, we'd rename it if there ever did start working on it, of which we haven't.

kiketonto

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:56:36 AM »
Maybe it would have just been a version of Astyanax the arcade or something.
I'm with you. An Astyanax version maybe?