Author Topic: Jungle Bros. public demo...  (Read 441 times)

nodtveidt

Jungle Bros. public demo...
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:34:42 AM »
...will be coming soon. :)

Yeah, see what I did there? :P :lol:

Anyway... a lot of people have been asking for a playable demo so we're going to shift focus and produce the demo we originally intended for the public. This is a special build of the game that has a special feature; it will use the backup RAM to record your gameplay. Of course, it can be played without recording it as well, so you can practice before the recording run. Why will it record? Because whoever records the best demo will have their playthru made a part of the finished product. :) So... you can record your gameplay and send us the backup RAM file(s) from your emulator of choice, and if your playthru is the best, we'll officially make it part of the game's opening cutscene. It will also have an option to playback the demo you've recorded.

Normally, there's only enough backup RAM for roughly 34 seconds of gameplay. I am pretty sure that there are emulators that can max out the BRAM circuit, up to the point where there'd be just over 2 minutes' worth of gameplay time. If not, then I will bug the Mednafen author to make it happen. :) The game will automatically detect the amount of BRAM present and will have a countdown timer so you know how much space you have left to complete the game.

esteban

Re: Jungle Bros. public demo...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:09:45 AM »

Well, that certainly is neat .

|    | 

Nando

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:54:15 AM »
Nice

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:18:42 AM »
Is the demo going to be an ISO or a .pce rom?
--DragonmasterDan

Bernie

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 12:21:27 AM »
I would guess its going to be iso format. 

nodtveidt

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 12:27:58 AM »
New strategy in the recording code... instead of just recording the inputs per frame, it will track control changes. It can track up to 1000 changes, so there's no longer a practical time limit. Each change "block" can count up to 255 frames (4.25 seconds' worth of input)... so, in theory, it will record up to almost 71 minutes of gameplay time. :) (That is, of course, if every block is exactly 255 frames of input, which is hideously unlikely.) More realistically speaking, an average amount of storage will probably come out to around 3-5 minutes. However, one of the points of this demo will be to clear the level as quickly as possible. :) Of course, there will be an indicator that tells you how much more gameplay you have left.

We still have some work left to do on it... Keranu has some sprites to finish and I have a couple of new state machines to code, but the sound is already done and the level is already functional. Might be a week or two until release. :)

nodtveidt

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »
Is the demo going to be an ISO or a .pce rom?
ISO of course. :)

Bernie

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »
Cool deal.  Mount that bitch in daemon tools and play it in Magic Engine, maybe Ootake. 

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 02:57:11 AM »
Cool deal.  Mount that bitch in daemon tools and play it in Magic Engine, maybe Ootake. 

IM GONNA MOUNT YOU IN DAEMONTOOLS.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Bernie

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 03:09:55 AM »
Lol.  You nasty bitch!  Haha!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 05:55:21 AM »
Heh, sounds fun.  I can't wait to give 'er a spin.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

thesteve

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 07:51:04 AM »
test i shall

esteban

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »
New strategy in the recording code... instead of just recording the inputs per frame, it will track control changes. It can track up to 1000 changes, so there's no longer a practical time limit. Each change "block" can count up to 255 frames (4.25 seconds' worth of input)... so, in theory, it will record up to almost 71 minutes of gameplay time. :) (That is, of course, if every block is exactly 255 frames of input, which is hideously unlikely.) More realistically speaking, an average amount of storage will probably come out to around 3-5 minutes. However, one of the points of this demo will be to clear the level as quickly as possible. :) Of course, there will be an indicator that tells you how much more gameplay you have left.

We still have some work left to do on it... Keranu has some sprites to finish and I have a couple of new state machines to code, but the sound is already done and the level is already functional. Might be a week or two until release. :)

|    |