Author Topic: Show off your whips!  (Read 2267 times)

Colossus1574

Re: Show off your whips!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 08:13:49 AM »
Horrible pic of my 2004 GTO. On the plus side, the awful lighting helps hide the massive dent in the driver's side fender. Still wish I knew the a$$hole responsible for that!  :evil:

No, it's not the fastest car out there. Yes, it weighs a billion pounds. No, it doesn't handle great. Regardless, I love this thing. Easily my favorite car I've owned. If only it did better in the snow. :(

Cool, was a dream car of mine for the longest time, wanted it in the dark metallic green...up here in Canada we only have the shitty Stealth (GTO's younger ugly sister).
I thought the 4WD would rock in the snow, Sadler? Is it a VR-4?....unfortunately even the Twin turbo can't offset the crazy weight on this baby...

Sounds like your thinking of the Mitsubishi 3000GT (and its cousin, the Dodge Stealth), both of which were twin turbo V6 AWD... Sadler's car is a Pontiac GTO. 5.7L V8 with RWD

Thanks for the save TPIvette, sorry i was kinda sleepy when i first read the thread...now i look carefully i can see the Pontiac symbol on the grill, I should've clued in when i read it was an '04, 3000GTs only ran to '00 in Japan, Stealths ending even earlier. From the angle, that spoiler's a dead ringer for the 3000GT's stock spoiler...

Only car I ever owned. 1997 Japan Honda Prelude. Sadly, she is no more. I loved that car...  :cry:

Sorry if the pics are too big.  8-[

Kaze, pardon me for being lazy and not googling it...but why/what are the reasons older cars are so hard to keep on the road in Japan? I heard the stipulations for Aircare (what it's called in Canada) is super tough as the car gets older. Is this the reason you no longer own the 'Lude?  Because the last few years here, right hand drive cars have been very very popular here, cause they're arriving on our docks in amazing condition/low kms and at very good prices! Skylines being the must common one, man the R34s are beautiful...

esteban

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
I hate to make you guys jealous:

|    | 

420GOAT

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 06:09:01 AM »
im jealous alright. ;)
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

csgx1

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 07:42:15 AM »
Heh, nice Z.  I'd much rather have one of those than the goofy reared 928. 
Thanks.  Funny thing, I actually had a 928 about 10 years ago.  Might be the effects of playing too many car chasing/racing games. :lol:

Most beautiful things on those is the tail lamps. So nice!
Tail lamps do have a unique style to them.  Head lights are pretty stylish too.  As you may know, Lamborghini used the same headlights on their Diablo 6.0.

Nice Z. In my old neighborhood there is a convertible one in that body style that I drool over every time I drive by.
Thanks.  The convertibles are nice and you don't see too many around now days. 

420GOAT

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
cars gotta have tits and ass too.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

turboswimbz

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:34 AM »
OH shit, I was wondering who was driving around in the honda with BONK FOR PRESIDENT!  small world! 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

kazekirifx

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
i love Japanese plates!

Yeah. The number is no longer used, and I don't live in the same prefecture anymore, so I don't see much danger in posting my plate online.

Kaze, pardon me for being lazy and not googling it...but why/what are the reasons older cars are so hard to keep on the road in Japan? I heard the stipulations for Aircare (what it's called in Canada) is super tough as the car gets older. Is this the reason you no longer own the 'Lude?  Because the last few years here, right hand drive cars have been very very popular here, cause they're arriving on our docks in amazing condition/low kms and at very good prices! Skylines being the must common one, man the R34s are beautiful...

It's mostly the mandatory car inspection (車検) that convinces people to get rid of their old cars and buy new ones. The inspection is required every 2 years and can cost a bit above $1000 for an older car like my old 'lude. The inspection costs more the older the car, the bigger the engine, and the lower the fuel efficiency.

However, this isn't the reason I no longer have the 'lude. I owned it when I lived out in the bumblef*ck of Japan, and sold it when I moved to central Tokyo, where I am now. I would have loved to keep it, but public transport is quite good in Tokyo, as I'm sure you know, and parking the car near my place would have cost up to $500 a month. If I still lived in bumblef*ck, I would definitely still own it.

Personally, I don't fully understand why people buy new cars. The cost of owning an old one seems a bit much, but I still think it was cheaper than buying a new one. After all, the car was in near-perfect condition when I bought it, and the price tag was almost nothing (about $1000 used). If I ever buy another car in Japan, I'm going straight to the used market again, for sure. Besides, the majority of new car designs here are boring family wagons or tiny fuel-efficient shopping carts with engines. I'll take a '90s sports car over that boring crap any day.

NightWolve

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 08:41:53 AM »
The inspection is required every 2 years and can cost a bit above $1000 for an older car like my old 'lude. The inspection costs more the older the car, the bigger the engine, and the lower the fuel efficiency.

Yikes, the citizen is forced to pay for these and they average about $1000? I take it they're more than just emissions tests? I've been having to go through these because I live in Chicago and it became mandatory. Looks like they began in 1999, but I can't remember how many times I've had to do it nor when I got my first notice. They haven't bothered me in a couple of years lately. I'd say I did it at least 3 times so far and the last time I failed twice before passing the test. Turned out my catalytic converter had completely burned out which was the reason, but I also wound up replacing the oxygen sensor to be safe and not risk another test failure! When I disconnected the converter myself, having bought a new one from AutoZone ($99 bucks), I saw that there was no honeycomb structure inside of it at all, it was entirely empty! Not good!

Anyway, after installing the new one, I took it back to the facility for the third time and passed the test!!! If I failed again, they would've forced me to bring paperwork to prove a licensed mechanic worked on the car. Further failures of course would've meant loss of registration I believe and having to say goodbye to the car... Well, at least these facilities are set up and funded by tax dollars without demanding additional charges to the driver. I imagine the city sticker and license plate taxes are paying for them (a yearly $200 tax for both of them these days in my case).

kazekirifx

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 01:50:05 PM »
Yikes, the citizen is forced to pay for these and they average about $1000? I take it they're more than just emissions tests?

Mine was just over $1000 (not including the mandatory liability insurance they usually sell you with it), but I know it can be a lot less depending on the type and age of the car. Mini ("kei") cars I've heard are more like $400.

I've heard they actually do very little during the tests, but I believe it focuses mostly on making sure the car is safe to drive (brake pads, etc.). If you go to a large chain McMechanic they'll check more things which can be replaced and try to get you to replace a bunch of optional stuff too at extra cost.

BlueBMW

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »
95' BMW 740iL - Hail Dent white on worn out black  :P

4.0L v8 - 282hp w000t! :mrgreen:

And for those wondering why its not blue, I have had a Blue BMW.  Twice actually, though I dont have a picture of the first one.  First was a 99 540i, second was an 08 Z4.

And now a family pic....

The blue Z4 on the right was mine for two years (employee lease) as was the silver 318is and the white 530i in the middle of the pic.  At the time, the 740il and the gray Z4 to the left were my brothers.  Both Z4s went away as they were leases... The silver 318is got wrecked by my bro, but its currently owned by a friend and is undergoing restoration.  The white 530i (sniffle) was my first car that I bought on my own.  Traded it to a friend for another car to give to a friend in need.  First friend ended up selling the 530i.  I loved that car, but now she's gone...  :cry:

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Nando

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 04:19:30 PM »
DUDE!
So how do those z's compare to the older models, M included?

BlueBMW

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
DUDE!
So how do those z's compare to the older models, M included?

Mine was the base motor (~210hp) and honestly was an absolute blast to drive.  The handling more than made up for any perceived lack of power.  Comparing it to the old models is hard.  The Z3 and Z4 drive very differently.  For that matter the Z3 and Z3-M also drive very differently.  The issue with Z3s and Z4s is as they get older they tend to loosen up (worse on the Z4s).  So while I got to experience a NEW Z4, I know that if I tracked down my old car and drove it now, it wouldnt feel the same.  Oh and the new Z4 that came out recently... bleh, junk.

On a side note,  I have seen my Z4 recently... its owned by an old couple that smokes and who insisted on installing a bra on it to cover up where they mashed a curb.  At least the car had a fun youth.... :(
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

thesteve

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »

daily driver

Xray

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »
Currently have 68 and 69 Firebirds, daily driver I have a 96 Ram pickup.

thesteve

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
helped a friend build a 68 firebird 400 once