Author Topic: Kato and Ken 30th anniversary!  (Read 995 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Kato and Ken 30th anniversary!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 03:29:22 AM »
Oh yeah...

Man, Street Combat is a mega generic brand sounding name now that I think about it. I don’t know why they didn’t call it Street Combat II.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 05:41:28 AM »
Street Fisting

a missed opportunity.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

nopepper

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 06:07:43 AM »
naked women?

f*ck YEAH.

God, I love that movie.

Also, something tells me there are a lot of Dale Dovaks and Brennan's in this board. :P

esteban

Kato and Ken 30th anniversary!
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »
One game I’ve always loved was JJ and Jeff. It was literally the first TG16 I had, save for Keith Courage. Of course it’s known the Japanese version Kato and Ken had some differences. Well I went out of my way, found the Kato and Ken tv show, watched it and made comparisons of the show and game and the regional differences. The games birthday is November 30! So if you ever played it, you’ll surely want to see it.  

Yet another video to add to my list!

I am very happy to see all of the “presents” and “gifts” folks have left in the forums over the past few weeks!

Needless to say, I have watched some sketches from the Kato & Ken show years ago...but, personally, I actually prefer the US “80’s dudes” to Kato & Ken. Having absolutely no pop-culture connection to Kato & Ken, it’s pretty easy to understand how I went from dismissing JJ&Jeff as generic/lame characters to charming embodiments of the era.

Plus, to be honest, I have problems. JJ&Jeff are my friends at this point. I have conversations with them. They represent every hope and every disappointment I had with TG-16 in NA.

PLUS, I actually prefer the spray paint. It’s not scatalogical, but it actually fits the 80’s theme far better. Forward-facing spray paint is more intuitive for the average player, IMHO.

I enjoy both games, so I love the little differences in the mechanics....I don’t think it changes things too much...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:43:16 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

Koa Zo

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2018, 07:22:16 AM »
Well I went out of my way, found the Kato and Ken tv show, watched it and made comparisons of the show and game and the regional differences.   

Hey this video just came up while I was watching youtube, I hadn't seen it before, and was thence quite entertained and enlightened as it commenced.
Thought to share it here; and surprise surprise, the search function reasonably works on this forum, there's already a thread.
Great work on the video, kenomac78. Comprehensive, watchable, and informative.
Every Turbo Lover should give it a view.

geise

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »
Subscribed! Fantastic vid! I really enjoyed it! Thank you.

TheClash603

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 07:39:56 PM »
I had no idea those characters weren't generic, that was a great watch.  Also never knew I was pronouncing Kato wrong til now.

gilbert

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 05:25:34 AM »
And if you haven't already known yet (and if it's not mentioned in any of the linked video, which I obviously didn't watch). The show America's Funniest Home Video was inspired by some segments of the Kato & Ken variety show. If you read (or pause) fast enough at the end of each episode of AFV there is actually an acknowledge about this, even to this day, after the show has been on air for decades and most people still don't know(or care) about its origin.

esteban

Kato and Ken 30th anniversary!
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 01:55:46 AM »
I love this thread for reminding me about all this info.... and tying it all together.

A bunch of loose threads are slowly being woven into a barely-cohesive narrative of how pop-culture spreads and evolves... it’s actually an excellent “case study” that hits many different areas that are a treat for me (from niche/obscure to mega-mainstream).

UPDATE: And I had to watch this video a few more times, just to absorb all the goodness.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:47:49 AM by esteban »
  |    |