Author Topic: Pc Engine Duo-R having some sound issues ???  (Read 177 times)

Nec.Game.head

Pc Engine Duo-R having some sound issues ???
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »
Hey everyone .. I just recently got my first Duo-R and it's giving me issues with the sound tracks on my cd games .. I only get sound affects on them .. All my Hu cards play perfectly fine on it .. I have 2 backup games and 1 original I just purchased yesterday .. I tried out the 2 backup games first on my Duo-R when I received it a few weeks back .. Lords Of Thunder seemed to work kinda ok .. At times it will loose the music sound tracks on the game but not to often .. The second backup game is Bonk's 3 and that game definitely looses it's music sound tracks way more often then Lords Of Thunder .. Ive only played them a handful of times on my Duo-R because I'm kinda of a noob when it comes to burning the proper backups, strictly for testing .. I thought at fist maybe I'm loosing my sound tracks on my games because their crappy backups I burned .. So I stopped using them, but then I finally had the chance to purchase an original Tg16 cd game, Shadow Of The beast and that game also looses it's sound tracks right away every time I play it .. I'm not sure what to think at this point ?? Shadow Of The Beast has very lite signs of scratches on it .. Any thoughts on what may be wrong with my Duo-R :-k ???
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Frank_fjs

Re: Pc Engine Duo-R having some sound issues ???
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »
I had the exact same problem. I fixed my issue by disassembling the unit and cleaning/lubricating the laser assembly. In some cases there are some pots on the board that might also need adjustment.

Another thing to consider is that the Duo's are very sensitive to vibration, well mine is anyhow. Things like the rumble from speakers can upset the CD mechanism and make it skip audio tracks so make sure your console is situated in a place where it isn't being affected by vibration.

Nec.Game.head

Re: Pc Engine Duo-R having some sound issues ???
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »
Problem solved !!! I took apart the laser assembly and cleaned up the old lithium grease that was on the rails and used a q-tip to clean out the inside of the laser's guide holes, their was some dried grease in them .. I also found a couple of small pieces of plastic stuck around the laser guide holes .. I applied some fresh new lithium grease, assembled my Duo-R, tested it out with Shadow Of The Beast and it played perfectly !! I went ahead and tested it out with the 2 backup disc also .. I now have absolutely no problems with the sound on all 3 discs ..Gonna save those 2 back ups in case I need to test out any Pce cd hardware I may acquire in the near future until I get some more legit games ..                                                                       What are some good Scd rom 2 games to try out ?? Time to start hunting down some awesome games !!!                                                                                               

THANK YOU SOO MUCH Frank_fjs FOR THE EXACT SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM !!! YOU TOTALLY ROCK :dance: !!!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!