Author Topic: "Why I am a retro gamer" (Racketboy Link)  (Read 856 times)

esteban

|    | 

Edmond Dantes

Re: "Why I am a retro gamer" (Racketboy Link)
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
yeah i cant sit through even a long opening segment on most games lol

You ever try to play Metal Gear Solid 4?  WTF was that shit!?!?

I played the first MGS and thought it was overrated and boring.  I sat out parts 2 and 3 because of that feeling, but figured I'd give it a try again at MGS 4.  Hardly a game, more like a movie.  If that is what I wanted, I would've put on The Great Pyramid and at least learned something.

The MGS games have their educational moments too...

And the second is one of my favorite games of all time. But the third one killed the series IMO.

But as for retro gaming, most of the reasons stated go for me as well.  Particularly the relative simplicity and "pick-up-and-play" mentality.  Even RPGs, a genre where you're supposed to get "immersed," I find most modern ones are more like an anime series that they did as a game for some reason, while the older ones were, well, actually GAMES.  Shallow and simplistic games as often as not, but at least I'm actively participating in the story and not just watching an anime.

(Not that I mind watching an anime... but there is nothing quite as galling as being on a thirty-minute-long cutscene which you can neither pause nor skip, and then you have to go to the bathroom)

Tatsujin

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 07:49:15 PM »
FPS DU JOUR :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 10:44:43 PM »
I really dont have much respect for Japanese game companies these days. Things for them really went down hill after the 360 hit and pc type gaming became possible and affordable for casual people who only want gamepads. I think back in simpler times the Japanese were able to do more with a "less is more" approach, and they really strived where as we did not. Other then Atari and Midway, I mean seriously, you couldn't take many American companies seriously outside of pc gaming. The Japanese really dominated the 8 to 32-bit console scene and had their shit together. Now its a reversal, the only Japanese company to do really well game wise is Nintendo, due to their core properties not being f*cked with as much, Zelda, Metroid, and Mario.

If Sega had been as conservative as Nintendo with its franchises it wouldn't be in the shape its in today. And Namco/Bandi, don't get me started there. It was a pure money decision, and now they are a pure money machine, all they care about is tossing garbage out and grabbing whatever profits they can . They dont really produce many quality titles anymore like they used to back in the day when they focused on arcade gaming. Back in the 80-90s and early PS2 days Namco was a quality company, as was Hudson, Konami, Capcom, Sammy, SNK, etc. Now most of them are dead or suck and mainly outsource to upstarts. Many once strong franchises are now being ruined due to this.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love new stuff that's coming out like Black Ops 2, Bioshock, etc, but I've always liked this type of stuff to be pc specific, which is why I don't own or game on a 360 or PS3, and have no plans to buy a Wii-U. Seriously, that desire of the masses to have game machines play the same games as pc gamers were enjoying, it really killed the Japanese gaming companies ability to compete. Japans never had a strong ability to cope with large hollywood style productions, where as American companies have due to pc gaming fitting that mold for so long now. Large budgets, huge in depth stories, acting that isn't totally cheesy in cutscenes, high quality 3d graphics, etc.

If this stuff had stayed on pc, and console games being released were still relegated to mainly Japanese game company development, this situation wouldn't be what it is currently. Now many Japanese companies outsource to game developers in other countries. Alas, the rest of the world spoke, and what they wanted was systems putting out the same games pc users were enjoying, as that's what everyone wants to play now. The Wii really was the last system to enjoy a large original non-pc related library. Now you have many of us older gamers falling back on what we enjoyed playing in our youth because we are unsatisfied with the current situation, and a few younger gamers here or there looking for something other then whats being done currently also.

Tatsujin

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 12:18:30 AM »
100% WERD!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 01:56:48 AM »
The Wii U does look like it is going to have its own share of stuff you wouldn't ever see on a PC, so things are looking up there at least.

One thing PCs suck ass at doing, is your standard platforming games. 
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 05:00:45 AM »
What is 'retro'?!?  It's still 1993 in my home, with a closet full of flannel shirts, a fridge full of zima and crystal pepsi, and Turbobs on the tube.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 05:05:29 AM »
What is 'retro'?!?  It's still 1993 in my home, with a closet full of flannel shirts, a fridge full of zima and crystal pepsi, and Turbobs on the tube.

and you're listening to Nirvana
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 07:20:01 AM »

and you're listening to Nirvana

Even in 1993 I didn't listen to Nirvana. They sounded whiney.

turbokon

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
Damn professor, where did you get your P.H.D. from;)
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

kazekirifx

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »
retro implies you got into it retroactively.

No, I really don't think it does. Don't get so caught up on terminology.
Are you sure you're not just trying to make yourself feel bigger than the come-lately kiddies?

esteban

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
FPS DU JOUR :lol:

I knew someone would appreciate that.
  |    |