Author Topic: The future of PC-FX fan translation  (Read 1064 times)

KiddoCabbusses

Re: The future of PC-FX fan translation
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 03:07:59 PM »
This is an excellent idea, and it would certainly make things go more quickly. However, it would feel inappropriate to use someone else's script in this way without their permission. I always feel a little hypocritical taking a moral high road about things to do with fan translation, since it by its nature is somewhat subversive. However, I think that is *why* it's important to act in ways that are right and sensible. I don't fan translate game because I hate copyright (though in some ways I do), nor to break any rules, or laws, or steal anyone's work; I do it because it should be done and no one is doing it. Those people that released these games officially did it the "right" way, by making - or working for - companies that took risks and put money on the line to legitimize these games, and ultimately had to move on to other things. If I could do it "legitimately" I would. I am not going to be one to disrespect those who tried to do so before me.

That was preachy and apologize for that. It's a good suggestion with good intentions which is why I wanted to qualify it with a detailed answer which I hope is clear and reasonable. :)

EDIT: Just to clarify, my preferred solution in this case would be to translate the scripts from scratch.

I think in the case of "Zork" and "Blue Chicago Blues", they were originally written in English for their respective original versions (PC or 3DO? I'm forgetting, but either way) and got Japanese localizations for PC-FX, no? So in that case I'd think it'd be kinda silly to re-translate the scripts. We may as well just have a Translation Party with them. :P

There's probably a few other cases where this applies. Unfortunately my memory is lapsing here.

As for anything native Japanese, I personally am more on the "No Honor Among Thieves/Pirates" side of things when it comes to using assets for other hacking projects, as I would hate it if the ROM hacking scene got anal-retentive about tools and resources the way I've seen some other scenes nearly kill themselves and other hobbies by turning towards, but I have no hacking talent for this and my specialities are elsewhere.

As for Der Langrisser, at least the PC-FX version has exclusive content to work with, so it wouldn't be completely the same anyway.