Author Topic: Turbo Duo question/opinions  (Read 434 times)

Stjho01

Turbo Duo question/opinions
« on: March 08, 2018, 07:35:22 AM »
I am new to the forum and in need of some advice. I recently noticed my Duo system was stolen along with a few other of my systems while I was moving. So now Im looking to purchase a system to play my games. Is it better to buy one that has been recapped or one that just has been barely used. I had my system forever and it was never recapped. I'm looking to purchase one with its original box similar to what I had. Is ebay the best place to find them?

Thanks

SignOfZeta

Re: Turbo Duo question/opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 07:52:51 AM »
I think if you play them all the time you somewhat fend off the need for caps. At this point though most 16-bit systems have spent a few years down and conventional wisdom is that there is a list of things you want to recap. The main ones are black Duos and Express/GTs. I’d look to buy one from a reputable repair guy.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:38:36 AM »
I'd want recapped.  A new in box one would likely have dead caps and leaked juice eating through the board.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Stjho01

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:15:33 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Originally I was looking for an untouched duo because you dont know who touched the ones you buy on ebay. The thought scares me. I would only want someone experienced capping it. Most of the people on it are just trying to make a quick buck.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »
Fellow member Keith Courage often has nicely refurbished systems for sale (he fixes 'em himself), but he's probably not going to have a US Duo let alone a boxed one.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keith Courage

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »
yeah, that's going to be hard for you to track down a US DUO whether it is boxed or not. I do have plenty of JP pc engine DUOs on hand that I recap before selling. If you would be interested in one just let me know. I think I have one with the box as well. Not sure of the condition of the box. I'll have to check.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 09:38:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Originally I was looking for an untouched duo because you dont know who touched the ones you buy on ebay. The thought scares me. I would only want someone experienced capping it. Most of the people on it are just trying to make a quick buck.

Don’t be “scared”. It’s just an old toy. If you want to not risk blowing your money on a corroded PCB just buy a white Duo instead.

crazydean

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 12:00:04 PM »

Don’t be “scared”. It’s just an old toy. If you want to not risk blowing your money on a corroded PCB just buy a white Duo instead.

I think the “scared” part is in reference to buying a re-capped Duo off eBay. But the entire problem can be circumvented by buying on here.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.