Author Topic: Lucretia - Demon Princess (鬼姫の呪い in Japan) NOW IN BETA TESTING  (Read 20590 times)

roflmao

Re: Lucretia - Demon Princess (鬼姫の呪い in Japan)
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »
YEEHAA!!!

spenoza

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2013, 03:15:09 PM »
So, has this been a bit easier to develop thus far than, say, MS? Is this like a working vacation?  ; )
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

nodtveidt

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »
This style of game is tremendously easy to develop in comparison to an RPG.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »
This style of game is tremendously easy to develop in comparison to an RPG.

And with this, a new realm of "Sonnnnn of a bitch!" problems hath been unleashed.

\o/

Awww yeah.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

touko

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »

That's what happens when you code until 3AM and it finally works.....And you can't wait to show it off :)

LOL, i can easily imagine arkhan, but not you, you'r wise in the group .. ;-)

nodtveidt

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2013, 03:10:20 AM »
And with this, a new realm of "Sonnnnn of a bitch!" problems hath been unleashed.

Hah, so true. :) But so far, it's just an issue with scroll() missing some lines.

Nando didn't like the first UI so he made a new one.

Opethian

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2013, 03:50:21 AM »
woot beer!@

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

spenoza

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2013, 05:51:29 AM »

\o/

Awww yeah.

I prefer the "sonofabeeeech!" variety.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Bonknuts

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2013, 06:05:28 PM »
Looking pretty good so far. Shooties are fun to make :D

nodtveidt

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2013, 07:16:29 AM »
This has been pretty fun so far. :) I just have to add in the enemy shots now and it'll be a fully working game engine. The thing runs ultrasmooth on my Duo so far... I hope it continues to do so once enemy shots and hit collision is added. My algorithms so far are very efficient and the whole thing is in pure HuC. :)

nodtveidt

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2013, 01:37:27 AM »
The game is playable now. Enemy shots + collision has been added. All that's missing now for collision is enemy vs player. Having that in place will be the true test of just how efficient my algorithms really are. :) Once all that collision is going on, any slowdown that might happen will determine where to optimize. But so far so good.

The test level for the moment just has the flying birds as regular enemies. Since there's not yet any enemy vs player collision, you can just pluck them out of the sky. There is even a boss fight to test the level progression bar.

The one thing I've not added yet are sound effects. I'll be using Squirrel for that.

esteban

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2013, 01:40:06 AM »

Nando didn't like the first UI so he made a new one.

STATUS: I can speak on behalf of all shoot-em-up fans when I say, " "

This has been pretty fun so far. :) I just have to add in the enemy shots now and it'll be a fully working game engine. The thing runs ultrasmooth on my Duo so far... I hope it continues to do so once enemy shots and hit collision is added. My algorithms so far are very efficient and the whole thing is in pure HuC. :)

HELL YES. 
  |    | 

nodtveidt

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2013, 05:10:07 AM »

Just a test boss character. :) Revised UI... I added health and bomb icons plus gave the UI a background color. Nando is doing sketches right now and we'll work out specific details of the UI when he comes online later.

Stage Clear :)

Bonknuts

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2013, 06:31:05 AM »
Nice :)

Hey Rove, so everything so far is pure C? No assembly code yet and runs fine? Got me thinking. I wonder if center point coords system would be faster for collision detection in HuC when written in C. Here's the link if you don't remember: http://pcengine.freeforums.org/collision-detection-routines-t119.html

if [Ax-Bx]<= ((AxWidth+BxWidth)/2)  , where (AxWidth+BxWidth)/2 is actually a compile time calculated constant (or by hand). So, if [Ax-Bx]<= constant. Maybe a case/select or something to sort out the different size compares. I dunno. More of less just thinking this out loud.

nodtveidt

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2013, 07:15:30 AM »
Yeah, pure C so far, but in order to maintain speed, some things are deliberately written long. It would be super easy to do things with arrays but of course, HuC monkeys those all up so that doesn't fly too well. What I do to maintain speed in straight C is to use groups of individual variables and if() blocks. It's far faster than using arrays and switch() blocks. Also, to maintain genericism in the state machines, I have "upload" and "download" functions which copy the individual variable sets into and out of one "base" set, which the state machines work with. HuC does all of this very quickly.

I use center point collision for just about everything. For each collision check, I take the center point of the source object and compare it against the four points of the target object plus the box size of the source object. So like... if I have a 16x16 shot sprite against a 32x32 enemy, I take 8,8 into the shot sprite and compare it against -8,40 of the target sprite. Minimal calculations, and allows for an infinite variety of bounding box sizes. Also, since player shot collision is handled inside the enemy state machines themselves rather than in the player shot handler, using multiple bounding boxes is a breeze... all of that is hardcoded into the state machine so there is no table lookup or anything like that to waste time. Doing it like this tends to take more code but the speed advantage is more than worth it. Little things like this are why I can pull this all off in straight C.