Author Topic: "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" Book KickStarter  (Read 3572 times)

NightWolve

Re: "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" Book KickStarter
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
That's funny. So Hailing really is crushing on Agness... She actually did tell me that she felt John was crushing on her in their final meeting before he left... Maybe John thinks she was supposed to give him something to really remember Japan by, a parting "gift..."

M-mmmaybe. . .

Just be careful though, Hailling, like the "guerrilla journalist" warns, she is "one of the most dangerous people in the games industry...:lol: :lol:

xelement5x

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »
Eh, I would wanna see her with long hair... ;) Short hair isn't a great look for her me thinks.

I agree.  Very rarely do I see a girl with really short hair/pixie cuts that I think is really pretty.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

HailingTheThings

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2015, 02:20:05 PM »
That's funny. So Hailing really is crushing on Agness... She actually did tell me that she felt John was crushing on her in their final meeting before he left... Maybe John thinks she was supposed to give him something to really remember Japan by, a parting "gift..."
M-mmmaybe. . .
Just be careful though, Hailling, like the "guerrilla journalist" warns, she is "one of the most dangerous people in the games industry...:lol: :lol:

LOL!

I wouldn't have it any other way. :3

jeffhlewis

« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2015, 04:26:12 PM »
The whole thing is really a shame. I read about half the book (the book is freaking enourmous, amount-of-text-wise) during my vacation last fall and the content is mostly really good and the kind of technical interviews that I love to read. It's a bit unpolished and drags on in places, but it's worth reading.

I am in no way vouching for this douche-nozzle though, because I really do believe he's got a screw loose. The kickstarter updates were insanely unprofessional from start to finish during the development of the book. Probably about 70% bashing the two sisters and ranting about this weird lawsuit and 30% actual updates about the book.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2015, 04:19:03 AM »
The whole thing is really a shame. I read about half the book (the book is freaking enourmous, amount-of-text-wise) during my vacation last fall and the content is mostly really good and the kind of technical interviews that I love to read. It's a bit unpolished and drags on in places, but it's worth reading.

I am in no way vouching for this douche-nozzle though, because I really do believe he's got a screw loose. The kickstarter updates were insanely unprofessional from start to finish during the development of the book. Probably about 70% bashing the two sisters and ranting about this weird lawsuit and 30% actual updates about the book.

So he needed an editor to polish the book? 

Well. This might be that last thing this guy ever publishes due to the slander he felt the urge to vomit all over the place.

esteban

Re: &quot;The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers&quot; Book KickStarter
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2015, 08:29:25 AM »
I will not lie. I would like to read this nutjob's book.
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

"The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers" Book KickStarter
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2015, 07:31:46 PM »
I feel so sorry for those people. It's pretty obvious the guy thinks translators are both otaku and robots and was let down when he saw some reality.

I don't feel sorry at all for the idiots that backed this book. Next time send a native speaking person, preferably Japanese. Language conversion is not the only thing translators do, especially with Japanese. Asking frank and specific questions to an interpreter who then has to translate the shit to business style Japanese and then back into gaijin slob-speak without losing any info, while steering around the comfort zones of multiple people in the process...it be a lot easier sitting between Abe and Obama than between this dick and some dude who can barely remember working for Sega for a year back in 1987. You need a full spectrum Interpretron for that shit, best to get one who owns a Neo Geo.

It'll be interesting to see who gets blamed for the book sucking. Who will drop the ball!? Who will pull a choke job!?

ccovell

« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2015, 12:22:59 AM »
But the book doesn't suck.  It's 95% fantastic.

jeffhlewis

« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2015, 05:45:14 AM »
I've posted multiple times saying that the book is generally incredible, it's just a little rough around the edges. I'll blame the "roughness" on captain retard who kickstarted and wrote the thing, but the content is legit good. I have zero regrets about buying the book. It just could have been better in more professional hands.

I understand why people don't like Kickstarter, but I've gotten way more out of Kickstarter projects than I've put in. The only dud I've gotten out of about 12 backed projects is Pier Solar for Dreamcast, and I knew the risk for that one going in.

SephirothTNH

« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »
The kickstarter updates were insanely unprofessional from start to finish during the development of the book. Probably about 70% bashing the two sisters and ranting about this weird lawsuit and 30% actual updates about the book.
Yeah I agree.  The unprofessional updates really made me start regretting backing the kickstarter.  Unfortunately I didn't know anything about this douche bag before backing it.  Like everyone else has said though the book is good.  It just would have been better with someone else at the helm.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2015, 08:00:48 AM »

And that brings up some questions.

Is it the writing style?

The interviews themselves?

How much do you attribute the content to the writer creater and how much to the interpreters and their contacts from with in the gaming circles in Japan? 

What's it the writer who came up with all the questions or were some of them given by the people interviewed or the interpreters? 

ccovell

« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2015, 10:15:35 AM »

And that brings up some questions.

Is it the writing style?

The interviews themselves?

How much do you attribute the content to the writer creater and how much to the interpreters and their contacts from with in the gaming circles in Japan? 

What's it the writer who came up with all the questions or were some of them given by the people interviewed or the interpreters?

Well, the DVD has actual evidence of the interviews, so I'd say it was John who came up with the questions, and I believe he e-mailed them to his subjects before the interview.

Anyway, the book is great thanks specifically to John's interview style, with large helpings from interesting people being interviewed and a great translation job.

Look around the 'net for other interviews of Japanese developers (or public figures in general).  By and large, Japanese interview subjects are not forthcoming with information, and their answers tend to be overly vague (even when well-translated) by English standards.  They often appear self-congratulatory PR at the worst of times.  I often get fed up with curt, short, uninformative interviews.  Us crazy gamers want details about how some game or feature came into existence, but when the typical interviewee is asked "How did you think of such-and-such?" and they reply "I thought of that idea, and then I asked my supervisor for permission to develop it." they're missing the point of the interview and the question by a country mile.

John's book contains the exact opposite of these interviews, by and large.  It might just be how he frames the interview in the book only, but he asks the right questions and prods incessantly for extra information.

Incidentally, the interview series for SEGA's 3DS Classics are another example of interviewees who really want to tell their story, and go into great detail.

Anyhow, the best short review of the book that I have seen is this one: linky
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:18:14 PM by ccovell »

SignOfZeta

Re: &quot;The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers&quot; Book KickStarter
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2015, 11:56:06 AM »
Evidently it takes a crazy person to get the job done.

-end of thread-