Author Topic: Whole LoT of Metal~The Lords of Thunder Remix (w/ contest)  (Read 1169 times)

Odonadon

Re: Whole LoT of Metal~The Lords of Thunder Remix (w/ contest)
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
It was much quicker for me, but that's juts cuz I regularily use an APE plugin for Winamp :)  Zeta beat me to the answer anyway.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

NightWolve

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2006, 03:44:57 AM »
Its the opening monologue for Draclua X.

HEY! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! WINNER! Oh my lord, this I did not expect... ;) Whoo boy. Well, I guess I have to include you in the list of prize recipients as well then, but it might not be something you can use though.

Alright, so the winners are SignOfZeta, Keranu, and Odonadon. What happened to you stevek666?? PM me a screenshot of your temp folder like my last image and I'll add you in.

And now, your prize gentlemen... What I had in mind was early access to the "Ys: The Oath in Felghana" English patch. Of course, this prize isn't worth much on its own. You need a good Windows machine and the game itself. I understand though that for some of you, having to use Microsoft Windows for anything is akin to having to be bent over by Bill Gates himself and ravaged over and over. Sorry about that. Unfortunately, you get to miss out on some of Falcom's modern works as a result.

Anyway, this concludes our exercise. :) PM me for the Felghana patch if you want it and I'll give you a private link from where to get it. The only requirement I have is that you agree not to share it with anyone else. I don't want a leaked patch to spread before I'm ready to go with the first official public version, etc. I would also appreciate feedback if you do play it.

Mission was absolutely successful and took approx. three minutes to do, and that includes the downloading and installing. The sound is from the opening cinema of Dracula X with the German narration and is six seconds long. :)

Excellent! I hope the brilliance in my choice for that audio file can be appreciated. ;)

Using the Monkey's Audio program by an average user = EASY
Determining the origin of that audio file by an average member of our niche pce community = EASY

Not so impossible of a mission after all... :)

I try to avoid BT if I can - I hate leaving my machine on to download stuff, and sometimes the wait for the seed to start isn't worth it.  If it's a huge file and I can't find it anywhere else, then BT will do.

Oh, then we both have the same problem. I too dislike leaving my PC on if I'm going to sleep and so forth. The context I was going by there though was for those who haven't installed BT and refuse to (going by what nodtveidt said). Your case would be different if you do use it. But anyway, this is a problem with any type of sharing software I would say, not so specific to BT. I think in general I've gotten much bigger files and at faster rates than with what I was ever able to get with FTP, DC++, Kazza, etc. Most of the torrents I've run into have been pretty fast with many users, so that shapes my general good impression about it. The torrent for this was one of the slowest, but perhaps that was due to coming too late.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:16:09 PM by NightWolve »

Odonadon

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 06:12:36 AM »
Oh, then we both have the same problem. I too dislike leaving my PC on if I'm going to sleep and so forth. The context I was going by there though was for those who haven't installed BT and refuse to (going by what nodtveidt said). Your case would be different if you do use it. But anyway, this is a problem with any type of sharing software I would say, not so specific to BT. I think in general I've gotten much bigger files and at faster rates than with what I was ever able to get with FTP, DC++, Kazza, etc. Most of the torrents I've run into have been pretty fast with many users, so that shapes my general good impression about it. The torrent for this was one of the slowest, but perhaps that was due to coming too late.

Exactly my thinking.  When I have used it, it worked pretty well - definitely faster than DC++, Emule, etc.  I just find it a bit of a nuisance to visit a website, find what you want to download, then having to open another program and let it handle the download.  But sometimes it is the best or only choice.

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

Keranu

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2006, 03:21:40 PM »
Sweet, I am going to have to get Oath in Felghana soon :) . (don't worry, I use Windows!)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Jammaniaclord

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2006, 05:15:39 PM »
There are pro's and cons to every format of downloading. Some people LOVE LOVE LOVE IRC, but i cannot stand it, even though i have tried and tried to like it. I LOVE torrents, as you can find stuff on there that you may not find on other peer 2 peer formats. I used to LOATHE Emule, because it was SO damn slow, and ate up so much memory(still does) but man, if you cannot find something on there, you just AIN'T looking hard enough. The stuff basicly comes to you begging!

I still LOVE Direct Connect, as it was the first format i used after Hotline Connect(still use that as well), and have been using it religiously ever since.

As far as using APE, i have never had troubles using it to convert APE files.

PC ENGINE RULES!!!!!!!!!
PC Cocoron Hunter

malducci

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2006, 01:40:57 AM »
Awesome NightWolve! I can't wait for the release.

2X4

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2006, 03:37:33 PM »
I have to say that this thread made me pee a little.  I appreciate NW's humor.  I just gotta say I am also scratching my head to your APE woes, it is easy to use, and if anything, it's MORE usable than apple's mandatory format.  great if you want to play music on ipod, useless for any other purpose.  I downloaded one song from itunes, and I will never do it again.  I don't like the idea of paying for music and then apple telling me what I can do with it.  Nightwolve, it's funny that this discussion arose, because it was actually using your rigg archives that introduced me to ape, and now ape and flac is all I use!  Although, I too slightly prefer ape.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

SignOfZeta

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2006, 04:28:56 PM »
I have to say that this thread made me pee a little.  I appreciate NW's humor.  I just gotta say I am also scratching my head to your APE woes, it is easy to use, and if anything, it's MORE usable than apple's mandatory format. 

What is Apple's mandatory format? Using iTunes one can encode anything to wave, aiff, MP3, AAC, or Apple lossless.

great if you want to play music on ipod, useless for any other purpose. 

Well considering the proliference of iPods...I'd say its 1000x more likely to be useful to someone than them even having ever heard of APE. Again, I don't know what the "mandatory" format is, but anything that plays in iTunes can be transcoded to any other format (except secure files) or burned to audio CDs (including secure files)

I downloaded one song from itunes, and I will never do it again.  I don't like the idea of paying for music and then apple telling me what I can do with it.  Nightwolve, it's funny that this discussion arose, because it was actually using your rigg archives that introduced me to ape, and now ape and flac is all I use!  Although, I too slightly prefer ape.

This is a totally apple to oranges discussion (pun essential, sorry). AACs from the Apple music store are DRMed. That's kind of a bummer in some ways, but you can't really blame them for it. They make it pretty flexible by allowing multiple users of the same file, and by letting you write them to standard audio CD, that in turn makes them convertable to any other format since extracting regular audio CDs is inherently unrestricted. Other things make the comparison of secure AAC versus APE kind of a bad one. Being able to play APE files on anything but a home computer has got to be pretty rare. I don't know how rare, but it can't be that common. Secondly the files size is f*cking gargantuan. I'd need a half terabyte of storage for my music if it were APE format. I could use Apple Lossless since it would play on my iPod, but if I wanted to only carry around 10 albums max I'd just use CDs.

I don't buy things very often from the Apple music store to be honest. The quality is part of the problem, but honestly 128 AAC sounds pretty good. Much better than 128 MP3 certainly. I have a few hundred tracks from the store, but %90 of them date back to the Pepsi promotion they did two years in a row where the music was free. Once in a while I buy something from there but the real reason I don't do it often is because I like having CDs. They aren't DRMed (although would be a heartbeat if the lables could figure out how to make such a thing work) and most importantly Apple still hasn't found a good way to distribute liner notes. This many a time has left me clueless as to who people were that were guest staring on tracks, covering other people's songs, etc. In the past few years I've been getting quite interested in underground hip hop, where the cameos and guest appearances are everywhere...and I don't even know who they are without like liner notes. I need my 12 pages of shout outs!

I think it would be really great if even a single person commented on the actual original subject of this thread. Mininova says the torrent has been downloaded 457 times, and that's just Mininova.

2X4

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2006, 01:32:33 AM »
Well what I meant was that if you get the song from iTunes, your only option is the secured files, and that to me is crap.  If I buy the CD, I can do whatever I want with the music.  It sounds like in your case, computer and iPod are the only places you listen to music, and if thats the case then, itunes would be fine.  It's true there is no current mp3 player that supports ape, but if you have the codec, you can save your music without losing a single byte of waveform, and still save disk space, and you can always restore your original wave exactly as it was to rip to any other format, or burn a perfect copy of your original cd.  You can play them on winamp, and you can burn them directly with nero.  I would guess that more support will come, but yes right now itunes is more omnipresent.  I didn't mean to sound mocking, I have just never heard of anybody having problems with ape.  I'm no computer savant, but it's pretty simple for me.  I think we are sort of comparing apples to oranges in the scope of our individual use of music.  In your case iTunes is probably better.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

SignOfZeta

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2006, 04:05:35 AM »
Well what I meant was that if you get the song from iTunes, your only option is the secured files, and that to me is crap.  If I buy the CD, I can do whatever I want with the music.  It sounds like in your case, computer and iPod are the only places you listen to music, and if thats the case then, itunes would be fine.  It's true there is no current mp3 player that supports ape, but if you have the codec, you can save your music without losing a single byte of waveform, and still save disk space, and you can always restore your original wave exactly as it was to rip to any other format, or burn a perfect copy of your original cd.  You can play them on winamp, and you can burn them directly with nero.  I would guess that more support will come, but yes right now itunes is more omnipresent.  I didn't mean to sound mocking, I have just never heard of anybody having problems with ape.  I'm no computer savant, but it's pretty simple for me.  I think we are sort of comparing apples to oranges in the scope of our individual use of music.  In your case iTunes is probably better.

My only previous experience with APE was downloading an album that I couldn't decompress or play. This is exactly what happened to me previously with FLAC, and OGG, and I think its all these formats are just masturbatory crap for tech heads. I'm not open minded to needless alternatives that don't work. Hosting my LoT remix in APE would ensure that at least one person wouldn't be able to burn the CD (historically speaking, it would probably be me), and this kind of complication is not worth the high tech hard-on I might getting from using a L337 codec like APE.

Now the file that Nightwolve posted decompressed just perfectly using the exact same versions of the exact same program I tried to use before. Maybe if more people hosted non-broken files I wouldn't hate this crap so much. Or maybe if APE was actually playable in more that a few fringe applications nobody has ever heard of (or on any dedicated hardware players). Until then I'll be using AAC since it plays on just about any computer, and on iPods, sounds great, and won't eat all the HD space in the world.

If the file is secure, that's another matter totally. Neither you or I prefer iTunes music store files to CDs, so this whole complaint aout DRM isn't really the issue. But as I stated before secure AACs from Apple will burn to standard audio CD, so the restrictions obviously aren't that heavy.

NightWolve

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 07:39:40 PM »
Hey Zeta, any chance I could get this from ya ??? I lost the archive in one of my computer disasters some years back... (I panicked from a virus that got loaded on my system via a Javascript and IE exploit, everything went all to hell, made it worse with one wrong move after another to clean it up, etc. Long story short, wound up overwriting the partition table and data early in the drive. Just went too long without a basic free anti-virus program like AVG. Paid a considerable price for it...)

EDIT: Got it, thanks!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:25:39 AM by NightWolve »