Author Topic: Looking for an old CR-563 CD-ROM drive...  (Read 477 times)

Jibbajaba

Looking for an old CR-563 CD-ROM drive...
« on: June 15, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »
I'm looking for an old 2X CD-ROM drive from the early 90's.  The model number is CR-563 (or CR-563-B), and it was sold under three different brand names; Creative, Panasonic, and Matsushita. If any of you guys have one laying around in a junk pile, help a brutha out.

Thanks,

Chris

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: Looking for an old CR-563 CD-ROM drive...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 02:01:45 AM »
3DO Blaster bah ha ha. I may have a drive that can work for it, but it is doubtful. I will check and if I do get back to you.

edit: BTW, in case I don't have one laying around:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Drives-Storage-Blank-Media-/165/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=CR-563
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:31:41 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:45:11 AM »
Chris, I may have that at work from those old POSes that we are replacing. I'll have to take a look next time I'm in...

Jibbajaba

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »
3DO Blaster?  I just have a 3DO with a dying drive.  And I'm not paying $80 for one.  That's ridiculous.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 05:55:11 PM »
3DO Blaster?  I just have a 3DO with a dying drive.  And I'm not paying $80 for one.  That's ridiculous.

Ahh ok, well the 3DO Blaster needs the cd-drive you were asking for. Whats wrong with yours, dying laser? I think you can still buy replacement lasers online. You're not likely to get too many to sacrifice a normal working drive just for parts. They are worth money due to what they are needed for with the 3DO Blaster card for PC.

If it is a FZ-1 you are trying to fix up take a look at this link:
http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1112

That I believe has the part numbers you need for the laser along with other info for repairing its drive.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 06:02:24 PM by ProfessorProfessorson »

Jibbajaba

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about that 3DO blaster deal.  Man, that would be a cool addition to my DOS/Win 3.11 box.  But I have a 3DO so there's no need.

It's actually not the laser, but the motor that moves the laser back and forth.  It makes a noise that I can't really describe, and greasing the gears was no help.  So I want the replace both the motor and the worm gear or lead screw or whatever that the laser moves back and forth on.

I've got a guy willing to send me two drives for $30 shipped.  I've got him on standby because I'm heading over to an electronics surplus store tomorrow to see if I can find any. 

They may be worth more than a standard 2X drive from bitd, but they obviously aren't worth what people are asking on eBay because none show up in a completed listings search.

Chris

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 03:48:18 AM »
Yeah I would say not. The most that I would pay for one in good condition is 20 or 30 bucks, and that is only if I had a 3DO Blaster around and was desperate. They don't pop up often enough to make me care otherwise, and being older drives, life expectancy is low. BTW, checked for you, and didn't have any laying around. I used to have a couple but I guess I got rid of them a couple years ago or something. Good luck getting your system fixed. Shouldn't be too big a deal.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:50:05 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

Jibbajaba

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 05:07:28 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to check through your stuff.  I appreciate that.

Chris

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to check through your stuff.  I appreciate that.

Chris
This might work, I got a Sony Model No. CDU4811 and its a class 1. I can post a picture if you are interested. Its pretty nasty looking as we took it out of the old fertilizer plant pc but it definitely still works.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:47:21 PM by BigusSchmuck »

Jibbajaba

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »
I don't believe that it would work.  The CR-563 is a proprietary interface drive.  Unless the one that you have happens to have the same mechanical guts, I can't use it.  Thanks for looking though.  I have a guy sending me a couple of drives.  Hopefully that gets me the parts that I need.