Author Topic: The Woodcube  (Read 478 times)

Black Tiger

The Woodcube
« on: March 27, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »
Scroll down 1/2 to 2/3 down until you find this guys genius invention(no sarcasism intended)-

http://atarilabs.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=15&TID=72&P=2&SID=15072

I am so jealous that I didn't think of doing something like this first.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

The Woodcube
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »
Hahaha, that thing rulez!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

Re: The Woodcube
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 06:37:59 PM »
Quote from: "Black_Tiger"
Scroll down 1/2 to 2/3 down until you find this guys genius invention(no sarcasism intended)-

http://atarilabs.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=15&TID=72&P=2&SID=15072

I love the fact that he wrote "Woodcube" on it! ... and the HUGE wooden knobs he uses (for some switches). Ha!
  |    | 

FM-77

The Woodcube
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 09:37:21 PM »
That guy was in Swedish television in 2002 or something. I think it is the ugliest creation ever made.  :roll:

motdelbuort

The Woodcube
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 04:51:35 PM »
It's kinda cool how much he didn't bother about what it looks like. Would have been cooler if it was nicely finished and whatnot though. And functional.

Where's the Hucard slot?

rolins

The Woodcube
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:59:45 PM »
My god, its like a hobo shelter. What are those wooden sticks on top of the box suppose to be, joysticks?

There was another guy on the magic engine forum who put his tg16 in wooden case. I forgot why though. I should find that thread.

esteban

The Woodcube
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 07:36:30 PM »
Quote from: "rolins"
My god, its like a hobo shelter. What are those wooden sticks on top of the box suppose to be, joysticks?

There was another guy on the magic engine forum who put his tg16 in wooden case. I forgot why though. I should find that thread.
Yeah, he said that his TG-16 case was damaged severely so he made a new case out of plywood. I think he had to fix the power supply, too, which was why he removed the plastic shell in the first place. The plywood case wasn't that bad, either, considering that he never intended for it to be a showcase for his woodworking skills.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

Re: The Woodcube
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 11:34:01 AM »
Quote from: "stevek666"

I love the fact that he wrote "Woodcube" on it! ... and the HUGE wooden knobs he uses (for some switches). Ha!

Yeah, the logo is the best part. It wouldn't be a real Woodcube if he'd attempted to draw a fancy logo.

FM-77

The Woodcube
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 08:25:15 PM »
I wonder why he made such a mess near the PS1 cd unit.

It would have worked even if he had skipped that part.  :roll:

Also, that thing appears to be bigger than all those three consoles together.  :P

esteban

The Woodcube
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 12:06:15 PM »
Seldane, I think he was using a sharp rock to cut the holes in the plywood. I also think the playwood was scrap, and that's why you see one panel is in such a crappy state.

That cube is equivalent to 8+ stacked Genesis 1 + SegaCD consoles. I'm not kidding, that cube if friggin' huge.

Does anyone here know what it takes to "electroplate" or "bronze" a plastic console shell? I have an extra PCE (coregrafx) and I'd love to do something silly with it. I hate bronze / gold, but I think silver would be RIDICULOUS, but a novelty nonetheless.

I actually met a girl a few months ago -- her dad owned a metal machining company. She said that it might be possible to make a cast of the console shell... but that it was a very involved process and would cost  $$$. (You'd only get a return on investment if you cast a whole bunch of metal console shells with the mold, or something like that -- I know I'm messing up the lingo).
  |    | 

Bonknuts

The Woodcube
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 12:10:25 PM »
Cool idea on the case, stevek666. There is a local business in town that will CNC machine anything you want out of a block of aluminum - no idea on the cost though.

akamichi

The Woodcube
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 05:09:58 PM »
That sounds cool Steve!  Oddly enough, for some reason this topic reminded me of that diamond encrusted Game Gear that I saw back in the day.  Talk about bling bling!

Black Tiger

The Woodcube
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 06:03:43 AM »
Quote from: "akamichi"
That sounds cool Steve!  Oddly enough, for some reason this topic reminded me of that diamond encrusted Game Gear that I saw back in the day.  Talk about bling bling!

Yeah, it was also solid gold. At least the shell was.

Wasn't it available from a jeweller in a far off (possibly middle eastern?)country or something?

It was featured in EGM way back when.

Black Tiger

The Woodcube
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 06:05:38 AM »
If I were putting together a big wood unit like that, I would've included some kind of built in screen or something.

But I guess that would've made it a Woodboy.

akamichi

The Woodcube
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 07:41:57 AM »
Yeah, it was also solid gold. At least the shell was.

Wasn't it available from a jeweller in a far off (possibly middle eastern?)country or something?

It was featured in EGM way back when.

I don't remember all the details, but I saw it in a jewelry store in Japan way back when.  I remember all these kids running over to the store to take a peek.  Somebody said it was worth ~$1 million.  I don't remember seeing gold though... probably because I was blinded by all the diamonds.  :)