Author Topic: Nintendo Revolution gets TurboGrafx support!  (Read 2146 times)

handygrafx

Nintendo Revolution gets TurboGrafx support!
« on: March 23, 2006, 06:37:54 AM »
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697882p1.html

Iwata also announced partnerships with Sega and Hudson to offer downloadable access to their classic games via Revolution's Virtual Console. Revolution owners will be able to relive their past gaming glories from the Sega Genesis console by playing a "best of" selection from more than 1,000 Genesis titles, as well as games sold for the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). These games join Revolution's access to 20 years of fan-favorite Nintendo games from the NES(R), Super NES(R) and Nintendo(R) 64 eras.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697922p1.html

GDC 06: Revolution Goes Retro
TG-16 and Genesis games due out for Nintendo's new console.
by Nix

March 23, 2006 - In a press release simultaneously with an announcement made during Nintendo's keynote speech at GDC 2006 this morning, Nintendo announced that Sega and Hudson have signed on as partners for the Revolution's Virtual Console service. With this, the emulators will be best games from the two companies for the TurboGraphix-16 (or PC-Engine, as it was called in Japan) and Sega Genesis will be downloadable and playable for the Revolution.

Curiously, only Sega Genesis games were mentioned as planned for the Virtual Console system in the deal with Sega (um, hello? Master System? Saturn? Game Gear? 32X?!?), but the partnership promises that many of the best out of the Genesis' 1,000+ gaming library will be available for the Revolution. Individual deals will have to be worked out with publishers for titles to be released on the Revolution, but with a growing interest in classic gaming, publishers and license owners will hopefully be fast to get on-board with Genesis support. And considering that most of the TurboGraphix-16's games released were published and/or developed by Hudson and NEC, it seems that the vast majority of games for the system will automatically fall into that partnership without much more licensing work from the company.

With NES, SNES, N64, and now Genesis and TG-16 on-board, the Revolution has got years of gaming already ready to play as soon as it launches later this year. Look for more news on supported systems and licensed games for the Nintendo Virtual Console as things develop.

wow!  8)

FM-77

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 07:10:13 AM »
Damn! I was JUST going to post this.

Oh well...

Games specifically developed for the Sega Genesis and for the TurboGrafx console will also be playable on Nintendo Revolution. Not all of them -- but the best of them will be.

handygrafx

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 08:04:34 AM »
hey do you guys think they will have SuperGrafx support too?

or will the obscure SuperGrafx get overlooked?    Magic Engine emulates both PCE/TG16 and SuperGrafx very nicely. has done for years.

Aldynes on Revolution ?  :shock:

Dark Fact

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 08:49:57 AM »
I wonder what they will do about the CD based games? Offer ISO's online?

But W00T for TurboGrafx support and all!  :D

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

sunteam_paul

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 10:07:47 AM »
I wonder if this could mean English versions of previously untranslated games...
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Daedalus

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:13:27 AM »
Quote from: "sunteam_paul"
I wonder if this could mean English versions of previously untranslated games...

/drool I really need to learn japanese because there are so many damn RPG's that only came out of PCE that I want to play ( i even own some which is a watse because I cant understand them :P )

KingDrool

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:38:21 AM »
I love this news.  This means that an entirely new generation of gamers will get exposure to the TG-16.  It also may mean that prices might start dropping on some games for us collectors.  Maybe?  One can hope...
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Daedalus

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 10:42:06 AM »
Quote from: "jlued686"
I love this news.  This means that an entirely new generation of gamers will get exposure to the TG-16.  It also may mean that prices might start dropping on some games for us collectors.  Maybe?  One can hope...

If anything I see prices going up, people have an opportunity to play them and the demand rises :/

KingDrool

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 12:06:45 PM »
I don't know.  Why pay a mint for them if they can download them for a few bucks on their Revolution?  That's my opinion, at least.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 02:52:13 PM »
I read about this on the Shmups forums, it's amazing.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

MotherGunner

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 03:03:27 PM »
Guys keep in mind that only Hudson games are slated at the present time.  Nothing has been said about other beloved Turbo titles.

I hope its all of them.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Emerald Rocker

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 04:00:36 PM »
I'm not impressed.

When Nintendo says they'll have a "best of" selection from more than 1,000 Genesis titles... what exactly does that mean? The only number they cite is "1000", but they're already telling us that we're not getting a thousand games. Are we going to get twelve games, like on a Smash Pack? Will we get two Smash Pack's worth? Does "best" mean hard-to-find games like Warsong, or does "best" just mean "what the company thinks is most popular"?

Will multiplayer games have online support?  How much will it cost to download a game?  (Several current compilations already offer 15 to 20 games for 20 dollars.)  Does this service promote small developers with new ideas for online retro gaming... or is this just a way for big companies to make more money without putting forth any effort?

Nintendo still hasn't told us anything substantial. They're not giving themselves an opportunity to receive (and act on) the market's feedback. It's almost as if their Sega/Hudson announcement is intended to serve as hype, instead of to inform!

I'm shocked.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 04:16:21 PM »
Never the less the less, having any Turbo Grafx 16 games would be very interesting anyways.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

akamichi

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 04:51:19 PM »
Well, if all this pans out, then I'm buying a Rev for sure.  I still hope it'll be possible to put your own creations on big N's virtual console service.  Kinda like how Xbox360 Live arcade works I guess.

Edit:
Ok, I just read about this on some of the main game sites.  Now, I'm just waiting for them to claim that Rev will be the first to offer such a service. :?

FM-77

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 02:11:01 AM »
Remember -- they said Turbo Grafx games. They didn't say Turbo Grafx-CD games.

They will most likely NOT offer CD games since they are huge (usually 500-700MB) (the Rev's built-in memory is only 512MB).

Same applies for Mega-CD. They only said Genesis games.

Oh, and my guess is they will not offer Japanese games outside of Japan. Same as Falcom only offering their music on iTunes to Japanese residents.