Author Topic: DaVinci Code in PCE games  (Read 234 times)

esteban

DaVinci Code in PCE games
« on: August 22, 2013, 04:15:23 AM »
First, I know nothing about the novel/film. I was just attempting to pique your interest.

Second, this thread is not connected to DaVinci, or his alleged code, in any meaningful way. However, Nizzente reminds me of a DaVinci-esque figure, so...there you go. UPDATED with images of Nizzente!

Third, after proving herself worthy to Nizzente, Yuko earns the "full armour" (Br.) that aids her in the rest of the game.

Fourth, rather than explain the purpose of the thread, I will allow you, the human, to figure it out.

Fifth, screenshots are highly encouraged!

Sixth, I'm on my phone/tablet, so you can at least do what I did (you lazy bastard, I took screenshots of a video, ha!).

SEVENTH, some/all of this is old news...

Eighth, they say there are three wonders of the world. I give you two of them.

Ninth, CLICK TO ENLARGE. 

VALIS III: Yuko is about to reach Nizzente at the top of a columned, stone tower—but first she must prove herself. Apparently, battling jumbo-sized coins featuring the likeness of humble, sagacious Nizzente is integral to the process.

VALIS III:  Thankfully, the flipside of the coin features this text instead of the backside of Nizzente. HELL YES! Team Shinobi simply can't compare to Team Red Alert. Guy Kazama, RIP.

NOTE: Team Shinobi is still kool, though.

VALIS III: U.C.V. could be a date ("U 105") in the phantom, spirit world of the Valis universe. However, I prefer to think it stands for UBER CASTLE VANIA. 

ASIDE: Many moons ago, a respected fellow gamer once referred to Valis III as a "poor man's Castlevania" (not as a denigration) and, although he may have been too generous, I agree with him. The Valis series can't compete with the entire Castlevania legacy, but Valis III is a solid, decent game. It is not perfect, by any means, but I have alway considered it the pinnacle of the series.

Your turn. What does U.C.V. refer to?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:45:37 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Nando

Re: DaVinci Code in PCE games
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:49:45 AM »

bob

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:39:17 AM »
You have a phone/tablet?  Must be large.  How is reception?

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 06:47:49 AM »
Does the flip side of the coin really say "Team Red Alert"?  O_O

Also, yes, the Valis series is not on the same level of greatness as Castlevania, but I would put Valis III and IV (CD-rom or SNES Super IV) above any Castlevania game made in the last 15 years.

esteban

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 06:49:06 AM »

HELL YES. Am I missing some moon language pun, though? Why the TEENY TINY "s"?

You have a phone/tablet?  Must be large.  How is reception?

Ha! iPhone 4/iPad 2 on WiFi. I want the iPad 3+ with higher resolution screen...

Does the flip side of the coin really say "Team Red Alert"?  O_O

Also, yes, the Valis series is not on the same level of greatness as Castlevania, but I would put Valis III and IV (CD-rom or SNES Super IV) above any Castlevania game made in the last 15 years.

You know what? I have to replay Valis IV PCE because I think I am mixing/confusing PCE vs. SFC version of the game. I may not have been evaluating PCE Valis IV fairly. 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:54:31 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

SuperDeadite

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:02 AM »
To be a true nerd here, he actually gives her the Phantom Jewelry, which is required to transform into full armor.  She always has the armor, just can't use it without the jewels.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

esteban

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »
To be a true nerd here, he actually gives her the Phantom Jewelry, which is required to transform into full armor.  She always has the armor, just can't use it without the jewels.

I would love to learn more about the story, especially the connections/references to folks from prior installments (the dead folks).
  |    | 

Official Ninja

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:36:42 AM »
I wish I was better at this sort of game!
I've never been too good at platform games.

esteban

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 06:04:06 PM »
I wish I was better at this sort of game!
I've never been too good at platform games.

Valis II is pretty darn short and easy. It is still a fun game, IMHO, because it has a certain style, atmosphere, etc. that was/is intriguing. The story is incomprehensible, but you will get the main points (I love the ending cinemas).

BUT THE REAL REASON YOU WILL LOVE VALIS II IS BECAUSE OF THE SOUNDTRACK, provided that you love 80's synth, like me  .

Give it a listen...

http://archives.tg-16.com/music_database.htm?col=jp&val=valis

You want the 1989.06.23 PCE CD Redbook...

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:06:10 PM by esteban »
  |    |