Author Topic: "Brut Press" videos on NicoNicoDouga.  (Read 679 times)

KiddoCabbusses

"Brut Press" videos on NicoNicoDouga.
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
I wanted to call attention to some videos that were recently put up on NicoNicoDouga, since it doesn't seem like there's been anyone else who noticed yet.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/search/%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B9

These "Brut Press" videos seem to be yet another series of VHS video game news pieces, this time by a game software shop. I noticed with the videos that there was a good amount of attention on PC-FX titles - moreso than with other videos of this kind that I've watched - so I figured it'd be a good idea to let everyone here know of them.

Currently Vol. 17 and 24, from what's currently uploaded, seem to have the most in that regard. Since most of the other volumes aren't up yet, though, this may be worth looking into finding, in case the videos happen to have anything like footage of canceled PC-FX games or somesuch.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:12:00 AM by KiddoCabbusses »

esteban

Re: "Brut Press" videos on NicoNicoDouga.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 09:55:53 AM »
I wanted to call attention to some videos that were recently put up on NicoNicoDouga, since it doesn't seem like there's been anyone else who noticed yet.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/search/%E3%83%96%E3%83%AB%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B9

These "Brut Press" videos seem to be yet another series of VHS video game news pieces, this time by a game software shop. I noticed with the videos that there was a good amount of attention on PC-FX titles - moreso than with other videos of this kind that I've watched - so I figured it'd be a good idea to let everyone here know of them.

Currently Vol. 17 and 24, from what's currently uploaded, seem to have the most in that regard. Since most of the other volumes aren't up yet, though, this may be worth looking into finding, in case the videos happen to have anything like footage of canceled PC-FX games or somesuch.

What?! Nobody commented on this?  Heathens!

Even I, a man without a PC-FX, find this interesting  ...

Then again...

The TELERO BOXING Virtual Boy footage is worth the price of admission, folks.  

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 11:25:37 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

SuperPlay

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 06:21:05 AM »
I don't pop my head in this part of the forum very often, so I have only just noticed this post!

Thanks for sharing the link to the vids :-)

SamIAm

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:56:03 PM »
At about the 26 minute mark of volume 17, they say that they're developing an adapter to allow the PC-FX's CD-ROM drive to be used by the PC-x8 line of computers (also made by NEC and ubiquitous in Japan in the early 90's). This never surfaced, right?

They also say they're developing a board to allow PC-FX games to be played on the computers, too, which they did follow through on (PC-FXGA).

Finally, they vaguely suggest that they're developing add-ons to turn the PC-FX into a multipurpose home electronics hub, including a fax receiver and various components to turn it a "computer terminal".

"There are so many possibilities for the PC-FX, we can't possibly introduce them all!"

esteban

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 12:53:27 AM »
At about the 26 minute mark of volume 17, they say that they're developing an adapter to allow the PC-FX's CD-ROM drive to be used by the PC-x8 line of computers (also made by NEC and ubiquitous in Japan in the early 90's). This never surfaced, right?

They also say they're developing a board to allow PC-FX games to be played on the computers, too, which they did follow through on (PC-FXGA).

Finally, they vaguely suggest that they're developing add-ons to turn the PC-FX into a multipurpose home electronics hub, including a fax receiver and various components to turn it a "computer terminal".

"There are so many possibilities for the PC-FX, we can't possibly introduce them all!"

Thanks for the details. I took some screenshots yesterday, but I forgot to upload them (I'll do it tonight.

If my memory serves me, folks can skip to ~17:XX for the PC-FX segment that closes the video.

QUESTION: Do you think this PC-FX segment was produced by NEC and then provided to media outlets?

|    | 

SamIAm

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 05:37:04 AM »
There's no particularly strong evidence one way or the other, but I get the feeling that it's more likely to have come from NEC. I'm not sure that a 3rd party would have talked up the CD+G function so much, for one thing.

If I listen to the whole segment without skipping around like I did before, I might get a better hint.

KiddoCabbusses

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:53:39 AM »

Fax receiver? Honestly, what was NEC smoking there? In the current day I can't imagine the PC-FX as anything other than a game/anime hub. Of course, this is probably similar to Sega Mega Anser or the Famicom Modem in some of the more oddball attempts to branch out.

Either way, nice to hear this does indeed cover content that never actually made it to retail. Maybe if I can find other volumes there may be more footage of PC-FX Tengai Makyo III or something like that.

QUESTION: Do you think this PC-FX segment was produced by NEC and then provided to media outlets?

If that is the case then I'd take it we'd see such things on other videos like this. It's actually hard to spot such any similar elements among the scattered video rips going around, though.

I'm almost tempted to dig into Yahoo Japan Auctions for some VHS tapes...

SamIAm

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »
You've seen this, right?

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12506464

I did a bit of searching for an inside scoop in Japanese, but I didn't find anything. I *think* I recall reading somewhere long ago that they never really had much actual game done. The wikipedia article says that the scenario writer had finished everything on his end, though...However, it also says that none of that was used in the PS2 release of Namida.

EDIT: For what it's worth, fax machines are deeply entrenched in Japan. The company I worked for in 2010 still sent an incredible amount of faxes on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:40:43 AM by SamIAm »

KiddoCabbusses

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 06:00:30 PM »
You've seen this, right?

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12506464

Yeah, but that little anime teaser isn't really enough - especially since it's an anime teaser, y'know? I'd like to at least have something that looks like it was actually running on PC-FX hardware, even if it's not a playable game.

(Although I take it by the wording of your post that the implication is they never got to actually coding a game engine. Disappointing.)

esteban

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 11:34:17 PM »
I updated the second post with a bunch of images for the uninitiated.

I left the time stamps in the images so you can jump to the relevant sections.

I didn't take screenshots of the games because there was nothing unique about the visual presentation (no floating-head Brut Press host superimposed on game footage, sadly...no unique title cards in the Brut Press 80's style).

|    | 

Vecanti

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 01:04:14 AM »
Fax receiver? Honestly, what was NEC smoking there? In the current day I can't imagine the PC-FX as anything other than a game/anime hub. Of course, this is probably similar to Sega Mega Anser or the Famicom Modem in some of the more oddball attempts to branch out.

Faxes were hot back then. They were the future! :)  I think back then it this is not to dissimilar to the XBOX One of PS4 trying to add features of cable boxes or something into video games consoles.

esteban

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 10:22:12 AM »
Bump for the BRUT CREW.

BRUT CREW!

|    | 

SuperPlay

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 12:58:11 AM »
Finally managed to start to watch these.  Great stuff! I like anything like this