Author Topic: Bonk 3 Bonks Big Adventure  (Read 1142 times)

johnnykonami

Re: Bonk 3 Bonks Big Adventure
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 06:14:43 AM »
Bonk's Revenge is my personal favorite of the series, too.  Does anyone love that music on the first level with the waterfalls like I do?  Bonk 3 I never finished, but I would like to get a real copy one day... whats the consensus on the hu-card vs. cd version?  The CD version is harder to come by, right?

Bklyn4ever

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »
Cd version is harder to come by and on average about $200 more per copy?

dallaspattern

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
I played up to the first boss tonight. First impressions: they really cheaped out on the animation. The elevator that takes you down to the bosses opens and closes with the graphics of a gameboy. Recycled enemies. Shitty sound (so far). Waited a long time to play this game, surprised at how underwhelming it is. Shoulda saved my dough and downloaded a rom, but I guess it's a cool addition to the collection.

NightWolve

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 07:51:20 PM »
Shitty sound (so far).

Yeah, it'll be that way for the whole game. Heh. That's what I hated most about it, dull, boring music. Only thing I found cool was how Bonk could become one giant sprite when fully powered up. Other than that, it was at least one last adventure with the character/series on the system, so...

pc_kwajalein

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 03:52:55 AM »
I played up to the first boss tonight. First impressions: they really cheaped out on the animation. The elevator that takes you down to the bosses opens and closes with the graphics of a gameboy. Recycled enemies. Shitty sound (so far). Waited a long time to play this game, surprised at how underwhelming it is. Shoulda saved my dough and downloaded a rom, but I guess it's a cool addition to the collection.

I've always considered Super Bonk to be like Ocean's 13; an apology of sorts for the preceding installment. Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure (and Ocean's 12) is the weakest of the series IMO.

Revenge features varied stages like beaches, battleships, flower fields, rivers, and snowy mountains. Also, Revenge has a great soundtrack and vibrant, colorful visuals. BBA is missing a great deal of what made Revenge such a strong, enjoyable title. Thankfully, Super Bonk got back on the right track.
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

nodtveidt

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »
Bonk 3 was my first Bonk so I have some nostalgia for it, I reckon. It's not a bad game overall. Anyone who actually says it sucks needs an arrow in the face. :P Sure, it might not be quite as nice as previous games, but it's still a solid platformer. I can think of much worse games in obeyland.

dallaspattern

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »
Bonk 3 was my first Bonk so I have some nostalgia for it, I reckon. It's not a bad game overall. Anyone who actually says it sucks needs an arrow in the face. :P Sure, it might not be quite as nice as previous games, but it's still a solid platformer. I can think of much worse games in obeyland.

Obviously there are worse games, but the first two set the bar high and the third, beyond giant bonk, offers nothing new or interesting (so far). I'm going to try to play though it, but as someone who's logged hundreds if not thousands of hours on B1 & B2, I was astounded. I shut the game off and just kind of sat back saddened reflecting on how that was the way the TG16 went out. Makes sense, they new the system was dead in the water. Why hire some ballin' developers? Put out a turd and try and recoup a few bucks.

I gotta try Super Bonk again in this context.

WHERE'S BONK RPG?! WHOSE WHEELS DO WE HAVE TO GREASE TO MAKE IT HAPPEN?!

Mzo

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 04:34:59 PM »
I played the first like 20 times through.  It's fantastic.  Revenge was technically impressive but I thought the bosses were way worse; a step down in general in my opinion.  Bonk 3 I had to force myself to finish =[  It was pretty boring.

LINK398

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »
ok
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:09:44 PM by LINK398 »

LINK398

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
Going to kinda respond to a few posts all in one firstly I was already aware that the game was more towards the rare side and wanted to buy one of the Bonk games. Since that was the only one they had at the store I bought it. I am a gamer first and a collector second and $100 is not that much for a game in my opinion so I bought it and no I am not looking to put it for sale and get rid of it. On another note I completely forgot I have Super Bonk for the SNES sealed in the box that I got directly from Hudson Soft not too long ago they had some extras and I got it for free

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 06:02:11 AM »
Awesome game and good price you paid for it .. Not the best in the series but definitely worth having ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

johnnykonami

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »
It's a shame that the last couple of years of the Turbo produced so many tough to find games.  I just wanna build a time machine and go back and buy Bonk 3, Magical Chase, Dungeon Explorer II, maybe Beyond Shadowgate even though I think it looks a bit crappy (despite having loved Shadowgate, Deja Vu, and Uninvited on the NES).

I can live without Bonk 3, but it's definitely something special to have in your collection because it's instantly recognizable by non-turbo folks but simultaneously unique.

gamerslife

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
its a good game but not worth the price when you can get the other two for a quarter of the price but since you have it its ok, just get the other 2 and complete the set then beat them all and form your own opinion.....obey
The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N. -Wooderson (AKA:Matthew McConaughey)