Author Topic: Pc Engine LT/Screen Repair  (Read 695 times)

wolfman

Re: Pc Engine LT/Screen Repair
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 08:23:46 PM »
T500 is a transformer, not a coil
It can fail like a coil and likely uses all 7 pins

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Do you have any specs on it?
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fidde_se

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 11:52:07 PM »
You can desolder it and measure the individual linings/windings, you need a henry meter for it, you can check that the windings hasn't shorted to another one with a ohm meter though.

There is one out for every in, from the picture it looks like it's three windings, meaning 6 pins are used.
if you look under the component you would be able to see where they are connected, there should be no galvanic connection between the windings.

But I doubt this is the culprint, some of these have wires that are thicker and have more area then some of the traces meaning the traces burn of long before the winding does.

Should note that some of these I have seen do connect inside the the windings and are built that way, but it's unusual, giving false indication of a faulty component.

Usually these are hard to read from what it says on the top, even for the industry and this is most likely custom made and they are very easy for them to do when they want them in a couple thousand unlike custom ICs that costs enormous amounts of money to make.

They are usually called SMD Power Choke Coil (yes these are usually called coil even they have more then one lining/winding and should be called transformer) more like a collective name for all of them, the package is a standard one but isn't registred as one so it has no name in general, very confusing for PCB CADers.

They are used for transforming the voltage up or down and used most for switched AC adapters after the big transformer in the low voltage area (but can transform up to high voltages, but with little ampere) or in the backlight unit for screens, the later is probably what it's used for in the LT.
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

Fidde_se

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »
And the pictures and links you sent me on the screen, could you post them here, and how and where you connected the cables so that others can do the same, as much info about the screen as you possibly have as it seemed to fit perfectly.

Also about anything needed to be taken out or carved in the casing, if any, to make it fit.

The cold light tube on the LT will start go out on most LTs out there on the next coming years and this will be becoming more common in doing to save them from the garbage bin.
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

wolfman

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 01:22:30 AM »
Sure I can do that, but it might take some time. I´ll be busy the next 1 1/2 weeks, lets see then.

What I can say for now is that I didn´t remove any portions of the motherboard, I only took out the screen completely. So apart from that the unit is rather "stocky".  :D
CryptoCoin Warrior

BlueBMW

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 03:03:42 AM »
Since the LT has a rear expansion port like a regular PC engine it should be really easy to tap RGB or composite video for use with an LCD.  Expresses are harder since you have to encode the RGB to composite when doing a screen swap.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

wolfman

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 04:03:00 AM »
Since the LT has a rear expansion port like a regular PC engine it should be really easy to tap RGB or composite video for use with an LCD.

Do you have recommendations on which LCDs are best for the LT? I have seen a few Adafruit/Arduino boards, but I am not sure how to get RGB with them. They all seem to only accept Composite...

I have looked at those:

possible option for TurboExpress/GT:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/911#Technical_Details

Option for LT, but without controller board (must be purchased extra):
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1596
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1591

and that would be the driver board for latter mentioned screens:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1590

Opinions, anyone?

EDIT: The latter DO accept RGB, but I am not sure about the procedure. Would we need an additional board or could we simple feed the 3(4) signals into the board and we´re good?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:14:38 AM by wolfman »
CryptoCoin Warrior

BlueBMW

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 04:30:57 AM »
Turbokon has done a lot of work with screen swaps on the Express / GT... I know he's used 2.5" and 3.5" screens.  Typically they've all been composite in so he's had to build an encoder circuit to go with them on expresses/GTs.  I'd shoot him a message and find out which ones he uses.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

wolfman

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 04:57:45 AM »
Turbokon has done a lot of work with screen swaps on the Express / GT... I know he's used 2.5" and 3.5" screens.  Typically they've all been composite in so he's had to build an encoder circuit to go with them on expresses/GTs.  I'd shoot him a message and find out which ones he uses.

I´ve been using a cheapo car LCD I found on ebay. What puzzles me is that I don´t a fullscreen picture, although it is a 4:3 screen. Does the LCD show "native" resolution only?

What do you think?
CryptoCoin Warrior

BlueBMW

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 05:01:34 AM »
I'm not sure on that one.  I know LCDs are fixed resolution displays and that sometimes you wont get a fully filled screen depending on the source.  Could just be that the particular LCD you're using processes the composite signal in such a way that it doesnt fill.

wolfman

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 05:26:15 AM »
I'm not sure on that one.  I know LCDs are fixed resolution displays and that sometimes you wont get a fully filled screen depending on the source.  Could just be that the particular LCD you're using processes the composite signal in such a way that it doesnt fill.

Thanks for the hint, I wasn´t sure about that. Sadly bigger isn´t better in that regard  :-k
CryptoCoin Warrior