Author Topic: Downsizing ISO Methods? (For Pia Carrot fan translation)  (Read 650 times)

KiddoCabbusses

Downsizing ISO Methods? (For Pia Carrot fan translation)
« on: March 08, 2014, 01:44:26 PM »
I've been spending the past few days trying to help someone get the Pia Carrot fan translation up and running. Unfortunately, one of the biggest hitches we ended up getting into - even after I uploaded my pre-patched ISO n' all - was the filesize being just a bittt over 700mb.

I managed to do fine doing an overburn on my disc, but it seems this person's applications aren't cooperating with him there. Therefore, I've wanted to bring this up - is there any possible way to downsize the game?

I would assume that since most of the filesize issues would relate to the movie files in the disc or the voice acting, that it'd probably be possible to decrease the quality of, or remove them entirely to lower the filesize. I wouldn't have the kind of expertise in that matter, though.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, feel free to use this thread if you want to discuss the subject of making PC-FX games smaller in filesize in general, as well. It would probably be a good idea to keep this all in check in the case of future fan translations.

Bernie

Re: Downsizing ISO Methods? (For Pia Carrot fan translation)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:43:41 AM »
hmm, strange.  I was able to rip it and patch it just fine.  I actually burned a copy for a buddy here, and sent it to him for play in his PCFX,

thesteve

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:06:50 AM »
Had no issues burning one I patched either

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Bernie

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:51:29 AM »
PM me, I have it on my DropBox server already patched.

KiddoCabbusses

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
I'm kinda stumped on what exactly the issue is myself, but as far as I can tell this friend is working with 700mb CD-Rs much like what I used... just that for whatever reason overburns aren't agreeing with him.

I figured discussing how to downsize the game might be a good start. The big question is if it's really possible (I don't really know whether the game would have either protection against it, or simply nitpicky sensitivity to changes in code.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:08:04 AM by KiddoCabbusses »

Bernie

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
There is no reason to "downsize" it.  I use ImgBurn, which is free, and it works fine.  http://www.imgburn.com/

Just have him mount the CUE file for burning, and it should burn just fine for play in the PC-FX. 

Ji-L87

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 05:56:44 AM »
Just had the same problem. This thread reminded me to check out the translation and CDBurnerXP which I usually use didn't like the filesize. IMGBurn worked fine tho'! So, thanks for that, Bernie :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.