Author Topic: PROGRESS on CD-ROM² Repair  (Read 2429 times)

Keith Courage

Re: CD-ROM² Troubles/Repair Problem
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 10:27:38 AM »
That is very odd to see those pots in such a position but I have seen some vary here and there. 

Try setting the pots similar to this picture and see if it changes anything.  http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/boostedk20a/Laser%20guide/pic_06.jpg

deubeul

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 06:44:25 PM »
The ribbon cable doesn't seem to be correctly plugged...

Keith Courage

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »
It is plugged in correctly in the picture I just posted for you to see. Check and make sure yours is the same.

wolfman

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 07:34:51 PM »
Hi, thanks for the help.

If look closer you´ll see that it is correctly plugged in (compare it with the solder spot,, your picture and mine). I already tried the pots like in the picture you mentioned, unfortunately to no avail.

I measured voltage across all pots and the only one that gives a good return is Pot #2 (right of ribbon cable connector), 2.25-2.35 V. The other pots are dead at all or give odd results like 1.7 V, 0.5 V or 0.7 V. I used a hq volt meter, so this is certainly not an error deviation. Re-adjusting with measurements didn´t change that much. I am beginning to believe it is the CXAsomething IC, that is connected to pot #1....but I am not sure as I don´t not what values it should deliver...
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

wolfman

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 07:37:50 PM »
If tricking the sled door, does the laser light up? any cracks in the pots plastic case?

I'v heard that when trimming the pots to far (certain pots) out of their position can burn the laser for good, that definitely goes for the pot on the laser, which should not be tweaked unless the laser is on it's last toes and need just some extra juice to crack it up.

I could try replacing them. Would make sense. I don´t know them by value, what would be an appropriate replacement?
CryptoCoin Warrior

deubeul

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 11:18:20 PM »
I say that because it seems a little crooked...( hope it's the right word :oops:)
Did you already plugged/unplugged the ribbon cable? I had one with a blended and uncoupled pin that you couldn't see from the outside.

It could also be the laser limit switch... did you read that topic? http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7012.0
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:33:03 PM by deubeul »

wolfman

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 12:16:24 AM »
It could also be the laser limit switch... did you read that topic? http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=7012.0

Cable contacts are good, I measured them - power gets through to the laser pcb.

Limit switch does give contact, when you push the pin in - I measured with my voltmeter. That shouldn´t be the problem - it would try to move beyond the spindle if there were no contact.
CryptoCoin Warrior

deubeul

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 01:12:24 AM »
I had the same problem, the switch worked, but the lens wasn't going far enough to fully push on the switch, i just 'forced' the lens one time to make a deep contact to the switch and now the unit works.

If the problem is the plot adjustment, knowing that the values measured at the plots can vary from a console to another, I recommand you to use the "by ear method" described here: once you're used to it, it's very easy to adjust the lens in any Nec Cd system. 

wolfman

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 01:41:00 AM »
I had the same problem, the switch worked, but the lens wasn't going far enough to fully push on the switch, i just 'forced' the lens one time to make a deep contact to the switch and now the unit works.

Thanks for the hint - I´ll try that!
CryptoCoin Warrior

deubeul

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 06:38:45 PM »
yup sorry i forgot tu put the link for the 'by ear' method:
 http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8926.0

wolfman

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 07:42:42 PM »
yup sorry i forgot tu put the link for the 'by ear' method:
 http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8926.0

thanks, but adjusting "by ear" would require the cd actually spinning - which isn´t the case with my drive. i see the laser light, the sled doesn´t move and no spin at all (motor isn´t dead though). I moved the sled halfway into the middle of the worm gear and after a start up it doesn´t move back to the center - the laser keeps lighting, no reaction.

This happens now since I replaced the caps near the volume wheel, that I originally left untouched, as I didn´t have a replacement for them till yesterday.
CryptoCoin Warrior

deubeul

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 08:18:21 PM »
First step of the method is to make the cd spin  :wink:  loook for the VR102 passage...

"
Addendum:  Adjusting the pots by ear!

Adjusting your duo's pot can be a daunting task for anyone.  With the high cost of replacement hardware, none of use want to permanently damage our precious Duos!  Here I will try and explain in idiots terms, the adjustment of the Duo pots.

Preliminary setup:

I do my adjustments live.  Meaning I have the system on and hopefully spinning / reading the disc while I do adjustments.  To facilitate this, I remove the magnet from the CD lid (turn the retainer ring until it releases the magnet)  And then I place a piece of tape or whatever over the lid closed switch.  At this point I place an audio CD on the spindle and place the magnet on top of it to hold it in place.

Adjustment:

I use a small philips screwdriver to turn the pots.  If you look closely at them, they have 4 little notches that a screwdriver fits into perfectly.

Once you have a CD in place and everything is ready to go, turn on the system.  If you don't want to connect your Duo to a tv, you can use headphones instead.  Press the run button on the controller.  If the CD starts spinning.... Great!  If not, we'll start with two of the pots:

VR102 and VR104

VR102 has a small range of adjustment in which the CD will start to spin.  If you turn it and the cd starts to spin, then you know you have found one end of the adjustment.  Keep turning it until the CD stops again.  Once you know approximately where those two points are, you can find a sweet spot in the middle.

VR104 seems to be similar to VR102 in that there is a certain range in which the CD will spin.  Again try and find the sweet spot in the middle of the two points of spin/no spin.

By this point, hopefully you have the CD spinning, and maybe even attempting to read!  So lets move on to the next pot/s.....

VR101 and VR103

VR101 is kind of a by ear pot.  There seems to be a small range that works for proper cd playback.  Typically it seems to be in the 0 to 45 degree range with 0 degrees being horizontal.  You should hear some scratchy funny noises when VR101 isn't adjusted properly.  Try and find a quiet spot for it.  If you go too far it will get very noisy.  Hopefully you can find a spot where the CD audio will start to play.

VR103 is, from what I can tell, an error correction adjustment.  Hopefully you have got a CD spinning reliably at this point.  You might hear a whiney faint scratchy noise at this point.... adjust VR103 clockwise until the noise goes away.  If you go too far, the noise will come back only it will be a lower tone and not sound good. :P  Try and find the sweet spot where the laser operates quietly.

VR105

Lastly, VR105....  This is an adjustment for the spindle speed correction.  I'm not 100% on the best way to describe adjusting this one.  Basically if the spindle speed starts to run away (go REALLY fast) then you've gone too far.  Hopefully by this point, your CD will play music.  Try and play later tracks on the CD and if they struggle to play, try adjusting VR105 until you can play all the tracks reliably.

wolfman

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 08:35:46 PM »
Thanks for trying to help me, I already got the right values for VR102, but I never get the spindle to spin. I JUST DON`T GET THE RIGHT VOLTAGE on the other pots, so adjusting is useless...

I already replaced the 7805 voltage regulator just in case.

What else could be the problem?
CryptoCoin Warrior

deubeul

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 11:21:01 PM »
Maybe the lens itself.

When the cd still doesn't work after having set the plots, i assume the lens is dead and just swap it with a new one. Always worked 'til now.

wolfman

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 11:56:43 PM »
Maybe the lens itself.

When the cd still doesn't work after having set the plots, i assume the lens is dead and just swap it with a new one. Always worked 'til now.

Well, strange situation. I can adjust VR102 freely in Voltage, but when I turn the other pots, the values don´t change AT ALL. Is it really the laser? I can see it light (weak though, hardly visible).
CryptoCoin Warrior