Author Topic: (1/29/2014 - 2/4/2014) Game of the Week: Bonk's Adventure  (Read 1017 times)

pc_kwajalein

Re: (1/29/2014 - 2/4/2014) Game of the Week: Bonk's Adventure
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 06:28:50 AM »
Bonks Revenge looks better than  Bonk 3 oddly

Bonk's Adventure and Revenge are two glasses of a sweet, refreshingly cold and fruity beverage. Bonk 3 is the same except the ice has melted and the glass has sat on the table for several hours.
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

fragmare

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 06:33:47 AM »
The PSG music in the Bonk series is also VERY underrated, imo.

GohanX

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 03:20:10 PM »
Just played through this on the Express. This game makes a fantastic portable game, with the exception that it's a tad too long.

Gogan

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 11:50:20 PM »
Bonks Revenge looks better than  Bonk 3 oddly

Bonk's Adventure and Revenge are two glasses of a sweet, refreshingly cold and fruity beverage. Bonk 3 is the same except the ice has melted and the glass has sat on the table for several hours.

That's a great way to describe it
Nothin beats the real thing.

roflmao

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 01:35:58 PM »
Ah, got in under the wire!  Whew!  I played through it again this evening and it was as fun as ever. 

Tonight I decided to try to beat the game without doing any juggling to see if I could make it.

I did.  And still had 16 lives left over. :)  I think my record is somewhere around 30 lives left over, but I also skipped a lot of the secret rooms and bonus games this time around.

Since the week is about up, here's a link to my playthrough on Youtube from about a year ago:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwMnvARtgDqESBgQ3ORjcZzl9aViChkvm
(This is a playlist. Each level is it's own video so I can't embed it properly.  :? )

I wish I had been recording tonight's playthrough, though.  I think I did a lot better tonight on the mini-games and bosses.  Oh well.

yoyo

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 06:50:20 PM »
Ah, got in under the wire!  Whew!  I played through it again this evening and it was as fun as ever. 

Tonight I decided to try to beat the game without doing any juggling to see if I could make it.

I did.  And still had 16 lives left over. :)  I think my record is somewhere around 30 lives left over, but I also skipped a lot of the secret rooms and bonus games this time around.

Since the week is about up, here's a link to my playthrough on Youtube from about a year ago:
(This is a playlist. Each level is it's own video so I can't embed it properly.  :? )

I wish I had been recording tonight's playthrough, though.  I think I did a lot better tonight on the mini-games and bosses.  Oh well.

Congratulations! That's a pretty good accomplishment.
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »

I bow to your Bonk skills.  I truly have much to learn.  With that said, I had a great time playing for a little bit over the weekend and also uploaded footage of my experience.  I don't beat it (Again, I'm rusty/no good), but I had a great time playing!

roflmao

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 02:40:40 PM »

I bow to your Bonk skills.  I truly have much to learn.  With that said, I had a great time playing for a little bit over the weekend and also uploaded footage of my experience.  I don't beat it (Again, I'm rusty/no good), but I had a great time playing!

Thanks guys.  This is one of those games that I picked up back when it was new and I only had a few games.  So I played this one a TON.  And my one other Turbo friend also played it a lot, so whenever we got together we would show off new things we'd found.  Some of my fondest old-school memories were playing Bonk with this guy. 

And I've never gotten tired of playing it.  I mentioned in chat last night that I found another hidden room during yesterday's playthrough that I never knew about! Mind=blown!

Looks like you made it pretty far, Joshua!  I'll definitely watch it once I have a good chunk of free time.

Xak

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 01:29:21 AM »
^yeah i had a turbo buddy love it with me as well. we used to call this chic at school Bonk cuz she had a HUGE head and though she was SO fine. lol  she didnt know what the hell bonk was lol but we did
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

turboswimbz

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 06:54:16 AM »

Thanks guys.  This is one of those games that I picked up back when it was new and I only had a few games.  So I played this one a TON.  And my one other Turbo friend also played it a lot, so whenever we got together we would show off new things we'd found.  Some of my fondest old-school memories were playing Bonk with this guy. 

And I've never gotten tired of playing it.  I mentioned in chat last night that I found another hidden room during yesterday's playthrough that I never knew about! Mind=blown!

Looks like you made it pretty far, Joshua!  I'll definitely watch it once I have a good chunk of free time.

We need a thread for every secret room in the game! that would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Mzo

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2014, 04:24:05 AM »

That's a great analogy.  Bonk 3 is definitely missing that something special that made the first game great and the second game pretty dang good.

I always liked how the hidden bonus room cave entrances have eyes.  I call it Doorio-kun.

Mathius

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 02:10:43 AM »
The PSG music in the Bonk series is also VERY underrated, imo.

Agreed. Very atmospheric.

I have beaten this game multiple times. Sometimes I just sit down to play and listen to the musics then I end up playing through the whole game.

Don't forget that there is a way to skip the underwater levels by spin jumping over the bridge later on in the game. I can't remember the stage number.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

roflmao

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
Don't forget that there is a way to skip the underwater levels by spin jumping over the bridge later on in the game. I can't remember the stage number.

3-2. :)

And I LOVE the music for Bonk's Adventure.

Nec.Game.head

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »
This awesome read has motivated me to try giving this game another go. It's such a fun game with great music but unfortunately for me I'm totally lacking in the Bonk's Adventure mastery department !!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »
This awesome read has motivated me to try giving this game another go. It's such a fun game with great music but unfortunately for me I'm totally lacking in the Bonk's Adventure mastery department !!
Just flip the turbo switch up and juggle the enemies across the screen the whole game to milk points for lives and take your time to find more fruit/bonk smilies and the secrets and you'll be loaded with lives by the end and it's a cakewalk then.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint